For parents, a newborn child is a source of happiness and love. Welcoming the newest member of the family is always a cause for celebration. Sadly, for some families, the negligent actions of medical professionals have turned a beautiful occasion into a nightmare. Birth injury lawyers in San Diego can help with any type of complication that occurs during the birthing process.
We at Personal Injury Lawyers San Diego believe that victims of birth injuries and their loved ones should pursue compensation. Our birth injury attorneys can help you and your child cope with the consequences of the carelessness of doctors, nurses and medical staff so you can better manage your situation and live life as normally as possible.
Caring for a child with a permanent birth injury is not only physically and emotionally draining, it also causes a major strain on your finances. Our lawyers will make sure that the person/s who caused your child’s injury will be held liable for their actions. Simply complete our online form so our birth injury lawyer can review your case at no cost to you.
How to Find Out If Your Child’s Injury Was Caused by a Negligent Doctor or Hospital Staff
It’s always the duty of the doctor and their attending hospital staff to take measures to ensure their patient’s safety. If their actions result in a serious or life-changing injury, the victim and their family should hold them responsible for it. But the first thing you need to do is to determine the cause of the injury, as this can establish proof that the doctors or hospital staff are to blame.
The following are some of the things that could go wrong during delivery:
- Failure to monitor signs of fetal distress. The mother and child’s vital signs should be monitored so that the doctor can ascertain whether emergency measures are necessary.
- Lack of communication between attending hospital staff. A lot of problems that take place in the hospital delivery room are caused by miscommunication among staff members and doctors. This could result in a delayed action particularly in treating a medical condition that may affect the mother and/or the newborn.
- Oxygen deprivation. Oxygen flow to the brain can be restricted during delivery and long periods of deprivation can lead to brain damage or even death.
- Failure to order an emergency cesarean operation when needed. If the unborn child is in distress, the attending doctor will usually call for an emergency C-section to save the child. Delays in decision-making can have dire consequences on the child’s wellbeing.
- Failure to check the child’s bilirubin levels. After birth, it’s standard practice to perform tests on the newborn to check for possible health issues. Newborns have undeveloped livers so their bodies may not be able to regulate bilirubin levels properly leading to jaundice and other related issues. If not addressed quickly, it could lead to severe medical problems.
What are some Long-Term effects of Birth Injuries?
Our birth injury lawyers have handled many birth injury lawsuits in San Diego. We have seen first-hand how affected children continue to suffer from various neurological and developmental issues, including spinal cord injuries, cerebral palsy, brachial plexus, and shoulder dystocia, to name a few.
These conditions will require long-term care and can put a lot of stress on the family. Moreover, a child with special needs will require care around the clock, which means that at least one of the parents will have to stay home. The mounting medical bills and lost income, combined with emotional pain and physical suffering would be too much for victims and their loved ones to bear.
We do not collect on any Case until you do
Our law firm will work with you to ensure that your family will be properly compensated and the negligent party will face the consequences of their actions. Our birth injury lawyer will examine all pertinent details, find out how and why it happened, and who should be held responsible. We have a network of medical experts and social workers who will help build your case and determine the amount of compensation that will be needed to care for your child for the rest of his or her life. Our San Diego injury lawyers can help in your time of need.
If you need a birth injury lawyer in San Diego, call our office today. We’re happy to explain your rights and legal options, free of charge. We are fully committed to helping our clients get the legal compensation they deserve, and as such, we won’t charge an attorney’s fee until we win your case and recover compensation on your behalf.