Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

 Is job experience or a graduate degree more important to an employer ?

 can employers terminate without giving proof?

 I don't like my husband's career choice?
Okay.. my husband is in the army, he's deployed right now, but when he gets back and gets out of the military, he wants to become a cop. this is a nightmare for me, all i've ever wanted is ...

 OK H/R gurus- please explain why if an employee is out sick for more than 3 days?
they have to have a doctor explain why the employee was out? Isn't this a violation of the HIPPA regulations if my employer is stating that they need to know specifically why I was in the ...

 what career path should i choose? either surgeon, something to do with business/get mba, or an attorney?
i want to make lots of money. i can excel at anything i do. what should i be if i pick business? whatever i pick i'm goin into politics i'm going to be a senator preferably of texas or a ...

 How do you cope with the fear of death?
I want to be a Police Officer, but I know that there will always be a sort of fear of what can happen on the job. Is there any way that you deal with this? Just be optimistic?...

 Can an employer lawfully give an employee a bad reference?
Or, is there any way you can check references past employers are giving for you?...

 What's the best way to avoid getting fired from a job?

 How hard do you think it is to get accepted into Harvard law school?

 Is it legal to be turned down for a job based on my personal Facebook page?
I recently applied for a promotion in my company (A large well know retailer) to switch from a selling position to a loss prevention position. Today we sat down and I was told that my application ...

 Is it legal to make somebody redundant when they are off work sick?

Additional Details
If it is not, please can you advise me where to go to get advice. I am researching this for a friend of mine who is too sick to fight it herself. We have sought ...

 My friend's employer called to verify her doctors note. Can they do this?
She's pretty sure they just wanted to check and see if she REALLY had an appointment and not sneaking off to a job interview. The appointment really was legit but she felt a little violated and ...

 If someone is writing a book, is it legal to use real names of politicians in it?

 My employer is harassing me?
My employer is harassing me. After 6 months of employment, now my employer is asking me to sign a contract where I need to give 3 month notice before I leave him. Also I cannot take any job which is ...

 Is it illegal to work 12 hours a day/6 days a week?
With no day off in between..that's 72 hours in 6 days? I live in Indiana is this illegal...I can't find anything online about it....if you could I would appreciate it. Thank you!...

 What if my job doesn't have a bathroom?
Is it required to have a bathroom? I work at a laundrymat and I always run home to go to the bathroom or run to the gas station next door (which is dirty and gross) So what is the law on bathrooms in ...

 Legal Advise? If I am pregnant can I sue the man who raped me for abortion money?
I think I might be but it's only been two and a half weeks. I really don't want to have a babby by this horrible man because I might lose my job!...

 What is the best way to tell my employer that I'll be leaving for law school this summer?!?!?
Ok, I've been working as a file clerk at a law firm for 2 months now (you may have read my previous question). When they hired me, I didn't tell them about my intentions to go to law school,...

 My job is killing me?
OK where do i start? I'm 22 and work in a betting shop that i hate and feel im trapped in. Even on my days off im worrying about going back in, i wake up and its the first thing i think of. I ...

 My boss fired me from a part time job-he won't give me my Record of employment or last pay?
I worked for a restaurant-they fired me within the 3 months-BUT they won't give me my R OF Employment-(which I need to verify i was fired) also they owe for some money-they refuse to take my ...

My previous employer won't let me empty out my locker - my calls go unanswered. What can I do?
They moved the lockers into storage in March without telling me. A few months later my contract was up, and I'm not returning. Two supervisors have said they don't care, and the top boss isn't returning my messages. I'm the only employee affected. Do I need to go to small claims court or something?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Dave T
get a good lawyer and sue their *** off

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

devora k
Is there something of value in it?: What is his reason for not giving you your things? If he thinks you stole, even if you did not, is it worth it to go to small claims court? It will take forever. Consider the answers to my questions and then make up your mind

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You need to go to the cops and file a report first. If you are still unable to retrieve your personal belongings or once you do retrieve your belongings you find they are damaged or anything is missing then you pursue it in small claims court.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Smiles. :)
who cares if it has something of value in it? its your stuff. personally, i would march right up there and demand to see the head boss and if that failed then id grab a lawyer. good luck with gettign your stuff. shame on them.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

meet with an attorney and find out what u need to do. Most will give u a free initial consultation (1st time free). Laws are different everywhere, so ask someone who knows what they are where u live. good luck

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Talk to them in a nice way to call their attentions.

Its your right.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Johnny B
Go the work office and speak to someone in charge and wait till you get a result there.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Kathryn P
It's your stuff. Go in there and get it. Go to the police station, and ask for a police escort if you believe you are going to have trouble.

Go to the supervisors who have no problem with it, and have one of them escort you.

the big boss cannot hold your property. That's illegal. Just call the police, tell them your circumstance, and they should provide you with someone to go with you to enforce your getting your things back. It is like leaving an apartment, and your roommate won't let you back in to get your clothes, or furniture. They can't do that, and the police can escort you to go get your stuff then, too.

Good luck.

Bosses like that just suck.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Ace Archer THE Michigan Madman
Contact your states Dept. of Labor, they're in the blue pages.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Hmmm -- THEFT. I like that one best.

And add Collusion...that's when the Supervisors and their boss "work together" to stop you from getting the Stolen ITEM...

And Where's the notification that the lockers were being exchanged on a specific date and did they give enough time for ALL employees to access it??
That's important....

Of course ONE CALL from a Good Lawyer makes people DROP a Load in their pants.....And I'd start with the BIG BOSS that doesn't answer your calls....

NOW....what is so darn important? Stocks Bonds WALLETS? Better not be Make up or Condoms....

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Get a lawyer.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

When someone has something of yours with out your permission and wont give it back that's called theft .Call the police!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Write up an inventory of what you believe is in the locker and the estimated value of each item. Write a *brief* note to your employer saying in as few words as possible that these items were in your locker at the time the lockers were moved, and that between March and October you have spoken with Ann, Bob and Carol seeking access on [number] occasions, but that you are still being denied the opportunity to retrieve your belongings. Send this note by certified mail to a person who has authority to allow you in (try not to go either too high up or too low down on the food chain). Make sure everything is neatly done, polite, straight forward, and properly addressed. Indicate that if your belongings have not been returned within 2 weeks, you will pursue other legal options. Do not cover any topic other than the return of your things. Keep a copy and get a return receipt that confirms delivery.

I doubt the police are going to be of much help, but they might be. If your letter does not result in the return of your things, start there. Take a copy of the letter and return receipt showing that they are on notice that they are wrongfully holding your things. The police may advise you to take out a warrant yourself or they may explain that criminal proceedings are not warranted. One benefit to you of treating it like a criminal matter is that there will be no fees. On the other hand, if the police or a magistrate explains that criminal charges are not appropriate, you'll want to listen. Also, the point of criminal proceedings is generally more to punish than to get return of your things.

In my state, bringing a civil (non-criminal) warrant in general district court costs about $35. There is also a fee to serve the warrant on the person you are suing. So if you are missing a $35 jacket, you will spend more than that getting it back. I cannot imagine that the contents of your locker are sufficiently valuable to warrant hiring an attorney. And most attorneys are not going to want to give you a free consult for this kind of a claim.

If criminal charges are inappropriate and the contents are sufficiently important to you to warrant paying fees in your locality's lowest civil court (its called something different in every state), then go and start that process. It's usually just a matter of filling out a form, paying a fee and waiting for a court date. Be clear that you are seeking the return of your things or, if that is not possible, their monetary equivolent.

If this is mostly a matter of principle, or hurt over your supervisor's calousness, and not about a true need for these items, do not take up police and court time (not to mention your own time) with this matter. Do not spend money and a couple of days of vacation time trying to retrieve something of negligible value. Irreplaceable family photos? Your favorite sweater Aunt Jean knitted? Go for it. A jacket and cheap brief case you've gotten along without for six months and 5 month old utility bills? Your life is too valuable to spend it seeking things you do not really need.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, August 3, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy