Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

 My son has just been issued with a fixed penalty notice for speeding?
He was stopped by a police officer standing on the side of the road with a laser gun. His fixed penalty notice does not state the speed he was travelling it just says "excess speed in 30mph ...

 should the cops be able to judge me by how i look? i'm tired of getting stopped!?
i go to my grandparents house during the weekdays at about 5 o clock in the morning, to help get their food ready, collect mail, and clean up a bit. then at about 7 i leave for school. last week a ...

 i got arrested and the cops said i would hear from them, nothing happened should i still be worried?
i got caught stealing and they said i would hear from them in 30 days its been about 40 days now, should i still be worried about hearing from them about court or did it just pass me by. what i stole ...

 don't you think its time we reclaimed are streets?
poll tax gets higher and higher every year ,and the police force get less and less on our streets....we pay for the police so dont you think we want to see them walking the streets as they used to......

 do i get money for turning in drug dealers?
if i knew of a drug dealer and turned him in, would i get a reward from the cops??...

 i wont to bi a loyer or faylin that a probashun ofiser, i am 18 now but wot qolifacatons do i nede for the job?

Additional Details
knownowt i is a bog cleenar alredy and i doont lik the job that much, so i am lookeing for another ...

 In the UK would you say we now tend to presume you guilty until you are proven innocent?

 I've just been a victim of an internet scam for £525.00. Can someone advise me what to do please?
I have paid £525.00 to a Canadian woman for some figurines. The money was paid into her bank in Montreal 10 days ago. We had lots of communication prior to payment and I thought she was a genuine ...

 here's a question for you..Security Officers...?
Okay, we all know that TV always shows security guards as old retired man sitting in a gatehouse or sat in a hut on a building site or they are younger guys who are "wannabe policemen" and ...

 Why do cops make such big deals out of little things?
Like smoking weed......

 can marijuana have any effect on me in later life?
can marijuana have any effect on me in later life? will it change the way i think or alter my brain?...

 We have been smelling like pot in the house. We think my brother is smoke it. Can we report it to a police?
How do you deal with this problem? He doesn't want to tell us....

 what qualifications do you need to get into the UK police?
im interested in getting into the police as a career but have found no info on what qualifications i need? anyone know???...

 How does the speed limit work in school zones?
When your approaching a school zone and your traveling the speed limit, say 40 mph and you need to slow to 20. Is there a specific law stating you must be going 20 mph when you cross the line/sign ...

 Do you think it is wrong?
That Ronnie Biggs had his application for parole turned down. He has suffered 2 strokes while in prison, and his sentence was for 30 years. Today even murderers get 15 for killing someone. Is this ...

 I've been to three different mental institutions four times for week long "visits", and am felon on probation
Could I be a police officer?
Additional Details
Dude, that made me about fall out of my chair laughing. ...

 Yesterday in Hyderabad,a youth was shot in the leg while trying to rescue another man.I just cant get over it.
the Police shot the boy,who was barely 20 years old.Someone who could have had such a long and happy life ahead of him ,mercilessly shot dead by the police?shouldnt one give thought before taking ...

 Speeding ban, court or no court??
I have a mate who's 17 and got caught speeding doing 102 mph on the motorway in the early hours of the morning 1am.

However she has only been driving 7 months and needs her car for ...

 Police Brutality, why do they get away with it?
Surely some of you seen the video of police kicking a mental man while he was down, broke his ribs, punctured his lung, etc. The police always get away with it, even though it was on film.
I am ...

 My fish was arrested for indecent exposure. and sentenced to ................ 60 day's swimming!?

Can a cop come to your house and arrest you if you don't live in that county without a cop from that county
Brother n Law got arrested by sheriff department on a warrant. The cop was from a different county than which he lived in and the cop didn't have a cop from that county is that legal?

Show all answers
Post your answer

If the out of jurisdiction cop has a warrent for your arrest, he will have with him a local officer who will make the actual arrest, and turn the prisoner over once the paperwork is done.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If the police officer had a warent it doesnt matter...
it wouldnt matter where in the world he was if they had a warent any Law Enforcment agent that is liscensed to arrest people can arrest him.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

John S
To make it short, yes he can. While the officer does have legal grounds for an arrest it may have been against his departments policy which may or may not result in a reprimand of some sort, unless it was cleared by the sheriff of the county your brother in law resided in.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Yes. In Washington I have state wide arrest powers.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Yes this is 100% legal. As a previous comment stated this is a common misconception of the public that a law enforcement officer has no authority outside of their jurisdiction.

Usually with a warrant from their department an officer can go to another jurisdiction and execute the warrant.

Jurisdiction can extend statewide, to adjacent jurisdictions or within a certain radius of the actual jurisdiction...depending on the state.

Some areas also permit officers to take this a step further. For example if I was an officer in "Blue County" and on my way home to "Yellow County" (as long as it was within my state) I observe a drunk driver or a domestic dispute, or a felony then I would be perfectly within my authority to make an arrest.

In other areas this extends to traffic offenses. You should also be aware that some jurisdictions have contracts or mutual aid agreements with other departments or jurisidctions granting special police powers.

This (again as someone mentioned previously) is why you often hear law enforcement officers refered to as STATE PEACE OFFICERS.

Generally, in most areas if an occurance like your brothers were to happen a courtesy call would be placed to the appropriate agency advising them of the situation and maybe even asking them to meet at the address OR the originating agency could permit the appropriate local agency or ideally the state agency handle it BUT THIS IS NOT REQUIRED.

Even if this was ILLEGAL it' wouldn't affect your brother in law's case because the warrant already says their is probable cause to make an arrest. PC has been established.

If people would spend half as much time on obeying the law as they do on trying to find loopholes we wouldn't as a society have as many problems.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If you have a warrent from (for example) Chicago and are visiting Los Angeles for a few weeks and you have a warrent that was issued in Chicago and are pulled over for something as simple as a broken tail light... the LA cop will run your infomation, discover you have the Chicago warrent and haul you in. Ever hear of Extradiction?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No


Calif Deputy

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Yes, it is legal.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

A sheriff can arrest you in any county within the state, as long as he or she has a warrant that's valid in that county, and as long as he or she transports you to that county's jail for intake processing.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Sure its legal. Especially if its from the same state. Picking up someone on a warrant, especially if its a felony warrant even give some one in a small hick town 400 miles away in the same state, the right to make the arrest.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

jack of all trades
I would guess that he can do that, or he wouldn't have done it. He would be risking a lawsuit and the arrest could be thrown out of court. Ask your lawyer.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

One Sexy Jeep Girl

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

XP Pilot
Completely legal.
Most officers' authority goes statewide. The only thing they might do in a case like that is a courtesy notification to the county they are serving the warrant in. Not required legally, but a good idea in case.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

This is a common fallacy most people think is true ... a Police Officer of Sheriff's authority is only valid in their city/county. In virtually every state in the United States Police Officers and Sheriff Deputies are described as State Peace Officers, therefore their scope of authority is anywhere in the state (though their focus of jurisdiction is their respective city or county).

I worked for a couple years as a Police Officer in California, and every now and then I would get one of those brilliant geniuses who would wait to pull over until they were out of the city limits, and then tell me "You can't write me a ticket here ...!" Like pulling over 30 feet outside the city limit suddenly means I can't do anything to them anymore ...

If you don't believe me you can look it up ... it doesn't matter if this Sheriff's Deputy was not in his own county. As long as its in the same state he has full authority to enforce the law.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Blue Steel & Lace
Yes - most counties have extradition/transport agreements with each other, and the deputy may have already cleared it with the local sheriffs.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, July 31, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy