Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Military
Legal Discussion Forum

Do you ever wished you joined another branch of the armed services?

Amerians troops?
How do American feel about Amerians troops deserting from the front line in Iraq? some have even staying Canada. For example First Lieutenant Ehren Watada a war objector announces his desision not to ...

Military and family only- What to you think of the Dems cutting funding for Iraq?

Did you know that?
You CAN NOT join the military (active duty), as of right now, if you are a single parent? If you think I'm wrong call a recruiter. I couldn't believe it either.
Additional Details<...

War on Iraq?Is the US winning the war on terror or losing American lives?

Am I obligated to leave for the national gaurd if I have only swearn in once?
I planed on joining the Nation guard and now I am not sure. my job has offered me more money and alot of pearks. I have only been to MEPS once and I was told the second time you go is when you are ...

I called my bf and his friend answered should i be mad?
my bf is in the marines and i called him on his cell phone (he is allowed to have it during schooling) and his bunk mates answered the phone and whas just like hey im blah blah who is this i told ...

Do you know someone in the military?
Lets face it... pretty much everyone... in some way had been affected by our recent miltary actions. Either through the news, family, husbands or wives, or friends.

Me i have a retired ...

What do you REALLY think is at Area 51?
Ok, this has been on my mind for ages, it's the most secretive place in the world and can't even get within a mile (I know it's more but I can't remember how close you can get to ...

What if Iraq had invaded the U.S.A. ........................?...
.......and accused us of harboring WMDs and tried our leader and hung him? Would we think this was fair?...

Women, to be or not to be, Military?
Have you ever noticed that most of the men who say women don't belong in the military aren't even in the military? What makes them think they are good judges of who belongs in the military ...

Would you lay down your life for another to save that person,/military?
in other words,would you take a bullet to protect a comrade/
Additional Details
JINGWA,your in to deep,think outside the box,this situation can be out on your street not just in battle,...

Help, trying to get into the military, unique situation.?
I began the enlistment process a couple of months ago. There was a few things I had to get cleared up first like pay off unpaid tickets, finish high school, and all that lovely stuff. Well, I did it ...

Why is the US still building aircraft carriers?
The US had nuclear tipped "Subroc" torpedos launched from submarines in the 1960's. Other nations like China who fear the US now have their versions of "Subroc".

Will War ever become obsolete?

Why does the U.S supply israel with military equipment?
The U.S also gives them billions yearly. Israel does nothing in return and never has and I doubt they ever will....

Can the United States win in Iraq and get the troops back home by 2008?

What Can We Do About the Mess at FT. Bragg ???
http://www.youtube.com/w Details
Thanks for the answers...
Some are well intentioned but ill informed.

It is the RESPONSIBILTY of the BASE

Who has a better air force? India or Israel?

Why does the radio ask me to donate for food for military families?
I am happy to do it but I am dumbfounded. I mean, why don't we pay military families a really good wage to begin with? Wow!
Additional Details
UPDATE: Thank you for so many ...

Checkers
What is "unprofessional" about your hands in the pockets? ...?
I would like to know the real historical reason why military people in uniform or veterans avoid having their hands in their pockets? What is "unprofessional" about your hands in the pockets? ...

Any historical reference/reason welcomed

Show all answers
Post your answer

Ex Air Force/Navy
Rating
Nothing wrong with it. The people in the military want total power so this is one war of making your life hell.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

SCOTT A
Rating
Because they could be playing squeeze the monkey or tickle the pickle or tease the twins

Penguin
Rating
Because it is the equivalent of saying "I've got nothing to do!"

Nthearmynow86
Rating
It seems like this is something based largely upon personal preference of those in command. I was able to find a reference to a reg for AF regarding the hand in pockets issue, but as far as I can tell there is no reg in the army. It is solely at the discretion of the command. I know it sucks though. I do it anyway ;)

Sweetpea
You look like a slacker with your hands in your pocket. Your too lazy to hold your arms at your side. How funny....I haven't thought about this rule in years.

scoot7
Rating
My god man! Are you insane?! If someone put a hand in a pocket, why, before you know it they'll be eating with elbows on the table! And then we may as well just turn it all over to the Commies. You want the Commies to win, son? Hands in the pockets, I've never heard of anything so ridiculous, I've never been so personally insulted! I bet you're the kind of guy that will walk AND talk on a cell phone instead of stand still. Well lemme tell you- every step is an insult and only emboldens the terrorists! And wearing both shoulder straps of a backpack on your shoulders- how dare you! Wait, what? That's allowed now and no longer decreed a travesty/atrocity/abomination unto the Lord? Well then, carry on soldier. But those hands... in those pockets...

[/sarcasm]
Ah, that rule's a perfect example of the random, absurd, unnecessary oppression that makes me resent my job every day.

Pey
Rating
Having hands out of pockets makes you look more powerful. It was a custom long ago to raise an open hand to show you were not holding a weapon. This was later turned into the military salute. With hands in pockets you resemble to a slight degree the turtle with his head tucked inside. One last thing for your safety, never go up and down stairs or walk a tight rope with your hands in your pockets.

From ABOVE
Rating
Play pocket Q

gunplumber_462
Rating
There's absolutely nothing unprofessional about it. The one thing it's good for is helping the troops identify which officers are petty and insecure enough to worry about who has his hands in his pockets.

Andrew J
Rating
It is a sign of weakness, and disrespect.

joby10095
Rating
It makes you look slovenly and defensive. Also, you can't help but slouch a little bit when you walk or stand, and the goal is to look as straight and tall as possible. It just doesn't look as nice. Psycologically, it is like having your arms crossed, you look defensive.

Blue
Rating
www.noaacorps.noaa.gov/cpc/pdf/service_e...

Here's a PowerPoint presentation listing the do's and don'ts of etiquette for a person in military service.

I could not find any historical reference. It's an assumption that it is rude. It also may hark back to always being prepared for battle. If you walk along with your hands in your pockets you are not ready to protect mother, country, or life.

conranger1
A soldier is supposed to look smart at all times, hands in the pockets makes you look like a corner boy.

Vaughn
Rating
For one thing, it pulls your shoulders forward and makes it look as if you're slouching. Shoulders back (which means, hands out of pockets) is a prouder posture.

Another factor may be the fact that, in olden days, someone with his hands in his pockets couldn't react/reach for his gun as quickly....

KS
Rating
It's disrespect. You don't want to have to pull your hand out of your pocket to salute someone. Pockets are for storing items...not your hands. It makes for bad posture, and makes you look less professional. If your hands are cold, get some gloves.

oscarsix5
Rating
The Infantry God created gloves to cover your hands if they're cold, your hands should either be at your sides or behind your back!! It is unprofessional looking because Army Regulation says so, it is unprofessional because it makes you look like a SLUG walking around with your hands shoved in your pockets!

It looks as if you're trying to conceal something in your pocket. In the days of the highly starched OG107 fatigue uniforms we weren't allowed to put anything into our pockets, nothing at all. If you smoked you hid your cigarettes and lighter in the cuff of your trouser leg. You clipped your pen to the inside flap of your fatigue shirt. It displayed that you had attention to detail and kept your uniform looking outstanding all day long.

When Top came looking for $#!+ birds to pull a $#!+ detail he picked the guys what looked like $#!+ birds first and the guys what looked like soldiers he left alone! Walking around with your hangs in your pockets makes you look like a $#!+ bird, end of discussion!!!

grizzlytrack
Rating
It takes away from the respect you deserve as a Military Representative of America. Just like long hair, earrings or other decorations that make you look like a slob or a "Gay" Caballero!!. USMC 60-68

Wayne C
Rating
History does not matter when obeying an order or a reg. Besides I could not find anything.

AR 670-1 1-9 on page 6 says "you will not put your hands in your pockets (while in uniform) except briefly to remove or place objects.

Oh yeah, it's difficult to salute.
Makes you look like a civilian slob.
It is not acceptable in business either. Makes it hard to shake hands, the civilian equivalent of the salute.

In short "Do what you are told"

Interesting question though.

SSG US Army 73-82
Corporate Management 82-2000

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, September 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy