Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Military
Legal Discussion Forum

What was the greatest battle ever fought?
In your opinion........

Why do the recruiters discourage my brother from joining the Infantry? They say hes *too smart*?
It is my brothers dream to be a Infantryman in the US ARMY. He is a very smart kid, 99th percentile on the ASVAB 4.0 GPA

He's been in touch with his recruiter and service liason. They ...

???Army?????
Whats up with all these people bashing the army on here?What makes people think other branches of the service are better...................they all fight for the same reasons...And I always here ...

Would a civilian army be crushed?
Would the government stop the forming of civilian militias?...

What happens if I don't sign up for the draft?

Additional Details
Yeah I meant Selective Service. I just forgot what it was called and went with the first thing that came to mind....

What will happen to a Captain in the Marines after he is caught by the military police for drunk driving?

What do you think about the military?
I have nothing against the soldiers, but I think that the government tricks people into joining the military and the military uses those people and puts their lives in danger and many die leaving ...

Prior to the United States involvement in Vietnam _________ was the major colonial power in Southeast Asia?
a. England
b. Japan
c. France
d. G...

Im 14 and if we go to war in iran do i have to go?
im 14 and when we have a new president that wasnts to fight iran do i have to go to the army and fight in iran?...

When an honorable Iraqi Veteran speaks will you listen?
These outstanding Vets says it all. http://www.commondreams....

What its most killer hitler,stalin or oj simpson?

One of My In-laws claims to be a marine veteran.He was in the Navy.What would you do?
He was in a severe accident after Boot Camp and was discharged from the service. He passes Himself off as a Marine Veteran,even gave himself a promotion.I have been ignoring this wanna bee for years,...

How come so many servicepeople have a much different attitude then those of you who hate what they are doing?

I have a SOLUTION TO THE KASHMIR CONFLICT???
According to the Pakistani government and citizenry, Pakistan has a rightful and just claim to Kashmir because the majority of the people in Kashmir are Muslims, right???

Well, the P...

Was Nelson Mandela a freedom fighter?
I've read his book and think he might be, but what do you think? Lived in SA as a kid everyone at the time said he was a terrorist? If Yes, why? If No, why? ...

Should The United States Air Force Be Ashamed Of Itself?
Four months ago you guys lost control of six nuclear weapons.Now your F-15s are grounded and Canada has to use its planes to guard Alaskan air space.The American Air Force can't even guard its ...

Why cant the US put criminals who have a life sentence or a death sentence in the army or military?
If they survive they should be able to leave jail? what u think?...

Is it really protecting "our" freedom?
Ok, before I start, I'm not bashing any military people or veterans, most are very brave, hard working people. They do something I don't think I ever could. And I'm not making this a ...

Who would win a war with Iran?
Given the ever rising tensions with Iran, how likley is a combination of western powers (USA, UK etc) able to win a war with Iran? What form of war are the west likley to use?...

Can Iran's missiles harm and kill our troops in Iraq?

Rachel
What do they do to you if you run away from away from the Marines?

Show all answers
Post your answer

rocknrobin21
It all depends on how long you stay away from the Marines. If you just leave you duty station without permission or come back late from leave without permission it's considered UA (unauthorized absence) if you continue to not show up, after a set time frame, you're considered a deserter or AWOL. When they get you (not IF.. WHEN) you will go straight to the brig until your Court Martial, and they you'll probably end up in a Military Prison for a very very long time. And, believe it or not... it's still an offense that's punishable by death. One of those old world military laws that never got changed. Of course chances are, you don't have to worry about that, unless you kill someone while AWOL.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

magpie357
Rating
You can serve time in jail for a long time if a person runs away during a major battle &/or if fellow soldiers were severely hurt or killed. The person also receives a dishonorable discharge. If the soldier who runs is found in the area of the enemy & is caught, he is accused of treason & things get very,very worse!

CV59StormVet
885. ART. 85. DESERTION
(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States;

is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

866. ART. 86. ABSENCE WITHOUT LEAVE
Any member of the armed forces who, without authority--

(1) fails to go to his appointed place of duty at the time prescribed;

(2) goes from that place; or

(3) absents himself or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty at which he is required to be at the time prescribed;

shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

As a retired Chief Petty Officer in the United States Navy, I had the good fortune to know and work with many Marines. Every Marine I knew was the epitomy of the United States Armed Forces. Their honor, courage and comittment was second to none. If you are, for even one micro-second, thinking of deserting your fellow Marines, you don't deserve to wear the Anchor and Globe of a United States Marine.

patticakes
You go to prison for a very long time.

bulldog5667
If you leave early they don't care the first couple of weeks is to week out people. I f you leave later you go to prison, and when you're done serve the rest of your time any way, and then get a dishonorable discharge and never get a job any where ever again. Don't run.

Michael A
It is NOT called AWOL. that is some army term we don't use. If you go UA (unauthorized absence) than you will be charged with that crime. When you return, and you will come back by force or on your own you will got to office hours. Depending on how long you have been gone, less than 30 days the charge is UA, longer than 30 days then you get charged with desertion. For a simple UA charge such as taking some time away for a week and then coming back expect to be busted in rank, restricted to base for 45 days and receive only half pay for two months. It also depends whether your get Non-Judicial Punishment(NJP) at the company level or battalion level. I have outline what might happen at the Battalion level. The company level would not be a severe. But you might also be charged and sent to court martial in which you would spend time in the brig.

Rambo Smurf
I'm not sure if I understand the question. If you join the Marines, and run away, they put you in jail for a very long time.

And this is military jail. You do not want to be there.

Panacea
Rating
Prison

DOOM
They find you. Since we're at war, the penalties are at the maximum possible.

Bear Naked
Rating
When you runaway....run to Canada....they aren't returning awols at this time!

allen3_99
Rating
I think it depends on if you started training, did you get travelling orders, did you sign up and never report for training...any which way I think the punishment is quite stiff.

farflemagoo
thats awol, if your military you know what it is and it will mess up the rest of your life. very stupid thing to do.

el.tuco
Rating
they make you listen to old huey lewis music until you go insane

fr_chuck
Rating
put you in prison

VivaciousandSexy
Its call AWOL. Absence With Out Leave, try it and see what happens. They always will find u boo, U r part of the government now..

dick
Rating
they give u a million dollars and a medal for ur courage

Deez
Rating
Not only prison or being charged under the law, but military law as well. And to top it off, the Marines you once knew or worked with will feel betrayed. Or you can be the *** clown of all jokes.

Eldha'sfather
Basically we call it Absent With Out Leaving (AWOL).The Marines will consider it as a criminal conduct.Firstly if they catch you,Then they will put into the Court Martial,if you found guilty,and the sentence put on you.They will put you in the military prison such Fort Levinworth,and even the most toughest military personnel hates to be there! It's been long known that military prison got less human right treatment to its convict,military conducts,rules and regulation applied there.
Since military personnel doesn't have civilian rights,the punishment and treatment there could be worse than the boot camp.So,if you try to run away from the marines,there is 2 suggestions:1.Try not to be caugh at all 2.Think it over again.
Besides,why did you join the marines at the first place,if you try to run away now?Shouldn;t you have done some researches before enlisting?

NONAME
It isnt like you are ten years old and you "run away" to your friends house for 2 hours. You get more than sent to your room. Time to grow up.

A Guy
Rating
Technically, since it's wartime, if you were to go AWOL you could be put to death. Probably just hard labor at Leavenworth, though. I dare you to try!

G S
If you are in a combat zone the maximum penalty fo desertion is death or as a court martial may direct
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm85.htm

Maximum punishment for Absent without leave (AWOL).

(1) Failing to go to, or going from, the appointed place of duty. Confinement for 1 month and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 1 month.

(2) Absence from unit, organization, or other place of duty.

(a) For not more than 3 days. Confinement for 1 month and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 1 month.
(b) For more than 3 days but not more than 30 days. Confinement for 6 months and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 6months.

(c) For more than 30 days. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 1 year.

(d) For more than 30 days and terminated by apprehension. Dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 18 months.

(3) From guard or watch. Confinement f o r 3 months and forfeiture of two-thirds pay per month for 3 months.

(4) From guard or watch with intent to abandon. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months.

(5) With intent to avoid maneuvers or field exercises. Bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 6 months

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm86_2.htm

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, August 21, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy