Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Military
Legal Discussion Forum

How does everyone feel about the war in iraq?
I feel this war is just pointless and many people are losing their lives for nothing. At first we invaded iraq becuase they were suspected of having nuclear weapons which turns out that wasn't ...

What do Marine Infantryman learn that Army Infantyman dont?
and vice versa.

What's taught at the SOI that's not taught at ft.benning and vice versa.

I'm just tryin to find a branch that suits my needs....

When, how, and under what circumstances will the Iraq war end?
Of course, no one knows for sure,,,, but, do you have guess - educated or not? I'd really like to know how people envision this war ending. Can you think of anyone capable enough to devise a ...

Im leaving the Army in 2 months.?
Not sure what i want to do, it seems all i know is the Army but i can't think of anything i'd like to do job wise. I love pro wrestlng but not sure if i can do something to do with this in ...

Can I switch from the Army to the Marines before my term is up?
I am Currently in the ARMY, I have 3 years left. I have been wanting to switch for Marines for some time now. Is there a program that can help me with this... Something similar like the Air Force�...

Do u know we r already in third world war?
most of the people don`t understand that the third world war already begun and this is the difference with first & second world war. every year more and more countries have included in this war ...

Why does the modern u.s army helmet resemble the waffen s.s helmet?
what a strange coincidence or is it?i asked this same question on my regular military forum and they were all suprised when they compared the helmets and they all said i had a point, so what do ...

Why do people believe, that the USA was at any time in danger in WW1 or WW2?
Hitler couldn't even get over 18 miles of water to beat the British, which had no military left in 1941. Japan bombed Pearl Harbor for the same reason, Bin Laden pulled of 9/11, a total failure ...

Military best to buy or rent?
were pcsing to Langley in June wanted some views from other Military would u say its best to buy or rent? I would love to buy but dont know how hard it will be with having to move on again in a ...

Afghanistan supplies 92% of the World's Opium.What are the American and Canadian soldiers accomplishing there?
This is the latest figure as published by The Epoch Times....

My nephew enlisted in the Marines, but he was told that he had to have his tattoo removed first.?
If this the case, why do many others get tattoos in the military?...

Best small-arm of WWII?
My votes go to the Lee-Enfield, M1 Garand, PPSh, Mosin-Nagant, and Kar 98...

Have you ever fought in a war?
My dad fought persian gulf war 2, thankfully he survived it, my grandpa fought Vietnam, thankfully he survived that too, and one of my moms uncles, i think hes called my great uncle died in vietnam. ...

How likely is it that a country could invade ours like russia or north korea?

Is it true female marines and female soldiers dont go to war?

Why do American troops use camouflage?
Isn't that dishonest? What do they have to hide? Are they where they shouldn't be? Is camouflage the make-up of cowards? I just don't get it. Please justify the use of camouflage by ...

If there is a World War III, what kinds of weapons will be used in World War IV?
Sticks and stones, maybe?
Additional Details
Surely a few would survive. We are, after all, a very persistent species....

Why do the soldiers in the US Army slap each others bums, before they parachute?

How did you make the choice to Join the U.S Military?
I am 21 years old, educated and well rounded. I have a good paying job as a civilian, but I also have a very strong desire to join the Air Force, to serve my country.

Both my father and ...

Was there really a Dinosaur named MEGASOREARSE?

Additional Details
And what about, LICKALOTAPUSS??...

kroshanaie14
If I am an Only child will I still get sent to War or am i Exempt?

Show all answers
Post your answer

who gives a damn anymore
right now we do not have the draft like we did in vietnam so you are safe until they put the draft back in but i do not believe they will put the draft back in so do not sign up

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Football4life2
Stop being a coward and take your *** over there.

Nope N
If you are under the age of 18 then you cannot join the military unless your parents say you can at the age of 17. Even if there is a draft.

thepalersailor
nope not anytime soon unless something massive on a large scale happens.

crazy_angel31078
Rating
Regulatory guidance for assignment of sole surviving son and/or daughter and exemption from duty in a hostile fire area is found in DODI 1315.18, Procedures for Military Personnel Assignments, AR 614-200, Enlisted Assignments and Utilization Management, Chapter 5, and AR 614-30, Overseas Service.

Eligibility Criteria:

A sole surviving son or daughter is the only remaining son or daughter in a family where the father, or mother (or one or more sons or daughters), served in the Armed Forces of the United States and because of hazards with such military service -

(1) Was killed

(2) Died as a result of wounds, accident, or disease.

(3) Is in a captured or missing-in-action (MIA) status.

(4) Is permanently 100 percent physically disabled (including 100 percent mental disability) as determined by the Veterans Administration or one of the military services.

Acquiring or retaining sole surviving son and/or daughter status shall not depend on the existence of any other living family member, including a sole surviving son with one or more surviving sisters or including a sole surviving daughter with one or more surviving brothers. The continued existence of a family unit shall not be required for qualifying as a sole surviving son and/or daughter.

The Soldier may qualify as a sole surviving son and/or daughter through either his or her father or mother. The parent through whom the Service member seeks to qualify does not need to be living, but the Soldier shall be the only remaining son and/or daughter, natural or adopted, of that parent.

Assignment Restrictions:

A sole surviving son and/or daughter may not be assigned to a PCS, a TDY, or duties involving actual combat with the enemy if he or she, or one of his or her parents, or spouse submits a written request for non-combat duty. On approval of such a request, a sole surviving son and/or daughter shall not be assigned to any overseas area designated as a hostile-fire or imminent-danger area nor to duties that regularly may subject him or her to combat with the enemy.

A Soldier acquiring sole surviving son and/or daughter status when serving in a hostile fire area or imminent danger area or when performing combat duties shall be reassigned from there upon approval of a request for an assignment restriction. However, this policy does not preclude assigning sole surviving sons and/or daughters to overseas areas where combat conditions are nonexistent.

Submission Procedures:

The procedures for submitting requests for sole surviving son and/or daughter status are as follows:

(1) Soldier-initiated requests will be forwarded through command channels to the Commander with general court martial convening authority (GCMCA) who will approve or disapprove the Soldier’s requests. When installations are without GCMCA, commanders in the grade of rank of colonel and above are delegated this authority.

(2) Upon favorable consideration by the GCMCA, forward requests for reassignment instructions to Special Actions Branch (AHRC–EPO-A) by the most expeditious means available. The Special Actions Branch will also process assignment deletions and complete any other assignment related tasks required to reflect Soldier’s sole surviving son and/or daughter status.

(3) Members of the immediate family may submit requests for sole surviving son and/or daughter status on behalf of the Soldier directly to CG, HRC-Alexandria, Special Actions Branch (AHRC-EPO-A), 2461 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22331-0450.

(4) All requests will include substantiating evidence and identification of all personnel involved.

Waiver of Sole Surviving Son and/or Daughter Status:

When the parent(s) or spouse of a qualified sole surviving son and/or daughter requests protective assignment for an eligible Soldier, the Soldier shall be afforded the opportunity of waiving the parental request before a final determination is made by AHRC-EPO-A.

Soldiers who have waived sole surviving son and/or daughter status may request reinstatement of that status at any time. Until the request is approved, the Soldier will be removed promptly to a “safe haven” within the combat zone until reassignment. After reinstatement of sole surviving son and/or daughter status has been approved by the GCMCA, requests for reassignment instructions will be sent to CG, HRC-Alexandria, Special Actions Branch (AHRC-EPO-A), 2461 Eisenhower Avenue, Alexandria, Virginia 22331-0450

A Soldier who has been advised of the provisions contained in Chapter 5, AR 614-200 who then enlists, reenlists, or extends voluntarily his or her period of active duty with the U. S. Army after the date of notification of the family casualty on which the sole surviving status is based shall be considered as automatically having waived his or her rights to the protective assignment under Chapter 5, AR 614-200.

Separation policies pertaining to soldiers who become a sole surviving son or daughter after enlistment are contained in AR 635-200.

Exemption from assignment to duty in a designated hostile fire area (HFA):

Assignment to duty in a hostile-fire or imminent-danger area must be shared equitably by all similarly qualified Soldiers except as follows:

(1) If a Soldier of a family is killed or dies when serving in a designated HFA, other service members of the same family shall be exempt, on request, from serving in designated HFAs or if serving in such an area shall be reassigned from there. This exemption applies to those Soldiers determined by the Veterans Administration or a Military Service to be 100-percent physically or mentally disabled. Family members similarly shall be exempt, on request, when another family member is in a captured or missing status.

(2) Assignment of conscientious objectors shall be subject to the restrictions contained in paragraph 3-12, AR 614-200 and AR 600-43.

(3) Wounded Soldiers who have been hospitalized 30 or more days outside a hostile-fire area due to a specific hostile-fire action resulting from combat service shall not be returned to such service during the tour when wounded. Soldiers reassigned under this paragraph, may be eligible for subsequent hostile-fire area tours. Soldiers may also return voluntarily to a hostile-fire area, if medically qualified. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to Soldiers hospitalized for injury, accident, or illness not attributable to hostile-fire action. This prevents considering cases such as self-inflicted wounds and other non-combat causes.

Submission procedures for deferment or exemption:

Requests for combat deferment or exemption may be submitted only by the Soldier, and will be forwarded to the commander exercising general courts martial convening authority (GCMCA) for approval or disapproval. Requests for deferment should be submitted within 15 days after receiving orders, assignment instructions, unit alert, or scheduled movement. Requests for combat exemptions may be submitted at any time. Soldiers submitting requests for deferment or exemption from his or her assignment should be retained in place until action on his or her application is finalized.

Upon favorable consideration by the GCMCA, forward requests for reassignment instructions to Special Actions Branch (AHRC–EPO-A) by the most expeditious means available. The Special Actions Branch will also process assignment deletions, deferments, and any other actions required to reflect the HFA assignment restriction.

J T
Rating
If you enlist in the military it doesn't matter if you are an only child or not, you will deploy just like everyone else.

I think you are thinking of the Sole Surviving Son or Daughter Provision.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deploymentsconflicts/a/solesurviving.htm

jmwa228
Rating
You will have to register selective service.

mom of many
Rating
you got some good answers...but plain and simple...if you don't want to do the job you would be trained to do, and ultimately training in case of war...then don't enlist.

John Mansfield
Yes, you'll get sent to war.

The "sole surviving child" thing kick in only if all your brothers and sisters are killed in the service. This is extremely rare so don't worry about it. If you are an only child it doesn't apply as you are the sole child but not the sole surviving child.

jeeper_peeper321
There is no only child exemption.

Whether in a draft or if you volunteer.

wiemercats
Rating
No draft in the US. Still all volunteer in the states. You do still have to register when you turn 18.

jay_fox_rok_god
I don't know if they still do it without a draft in place, but the exemption you are thinking of is for the surviving son, the last male in a lineage still able to carry on the family name. For example, if you have any male cousins with the same last name as you, then that rule would not apply to you, because there are several chances to continue the name.

scotty7617
I'm guessing your recruiter told you that BS lie.

In the army I knew a couple of guys whose recruiters told them something like that to get them in, like that they wouldn't be sent if they were the youngest, or the youngest son, or the only son.

Yes, you can still go to Iraq if you are an only child. That does NOT make you exempt.

The only way you can be in the military and not get deployed somewhere is if you have a medical condition that makes you non-deployable.

Shock and Awe
Rating
Yes, you must register for the selective service and you can if there is a draft, be drafted and you can still volunteer to enlist and be sent to a hostile theater.

Here are the facts below:

Contrary to popular belief, "only sons," "the last son to carry the family name," and "sole surviving sons" must register for the draft, they can be drafted, and they can serve in combat. However, they may be entitled to a peacetime deferment if there is a military death in the immediate family.

Military Discharges
In addition to peace-time draft deferrment, the Department of Defense authorizes discharges for any son or daughter in a family in which the father or mother or one or more sons or daughters:

Have been killed in action or have died when serving in the U.S. Armed Forces from wounds, accident, or disease.

Are in a captured or missing-in-action status.

Have a permanent 100 percent Service-related disability (including 100 percent mental disability), as determined by the Veterans' Administration or one of the Military Services, and are not gainfully employed because of the disability.
Under the provisions of DOD Directive 1315.15, this is a voluntary separation procedure which must be initiated by the service member. It does not apply during times of War or National Emergency declared by Congress.
It also does not apply to commissioned officers or warrant officers unless they were involuntarily drafted into the Armed Forces (as there is currently no draft going on, that means commissioned officers and warrant officers cannot be released from service under this provision).

Additionally, service members who enlist, reenlist, or voluntarily extends his or her active duty period after having been notified of the family casualty on which the surviving status is based shall be considered as having waived his or her rights for separation as a surviving son or daughter.

A member who has waived his or her right to a separation as a surviving son or daughter may request reinstatement of that status at any time. However, a request for reinstatement shall not be granted automatically, but shall be considered on the merits of the individual case.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/deploymentsconflicts/a/solesurviving.htm

Nicholas D
I am assuming you are in the US? No. The only reason you are required to register with selective services is so the if the draft IS reinstated they have a list to choose from. The draft will most likely not be reinstated unless there is a WWIII in which we take a tremendous loss.

amazin'g
Rating
A question: Who, exactly would send you?? The military is volunteer, last I looked..

az_reb2
Rating
i was the last male to carry my family last name and i went and i am back

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy