Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Immigration
Legal Discussion Forum

I am American, my wife is Mexican, we were married in Oaxaca, Mexico, how do I obtain Mexican citizenship?

Show all answers
Post your answer

You don't! Applications for Naturalization after the October 2008 have been negated. This new law is under review now. At present you can not become a Mexican citizen. You do realize that Mexico does not allow dual citizenship and you would have to give up your US citizenship to become a Mexican citizen? Do you really want to do that to your children when they could be US citizens and Mexican nationals?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I believe you need to live in Mexico for a few years in a legally established residency status to be eligible for citizenship. Most countries also set the requirement that you have to speak the native language of the country to be eligible for naturalization.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Acquiring Mexican Citizenship (naturalization) is an involved process. As a minimum, you must have been living in Mexico for five years with a FM2 visa (some exceptions may apply) and have applied for, and been granted, permanent resident status. Marriage to a Mexican national might enable naturalization without the full five-year residency requirement. Contact an immigration lawyer for advice.

You will be asked to undertake an exam in Spanish, which you must pass in order to acquire naturalization/citizenship. An immigration lawyer will be able to advise you about the exam and what you need to study and research in order to be able to pass it.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.084
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, July 31, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy