Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

What is legal prejudice?

Is it legal for me to work alone late night serving alcohol?
I'm a female student in my teens and will have to soon start serving alcohol at my workplace. Thing is that I work until midnight, alone, no one else in the building (except customers of course, ...

I have a felony and no edu.I cant find a jobwhat should i do?
I cant get a job what the hell should i do
gas 4.00 kids 2 no income.

no job what am i going to ...

Can walmart cut your hours and put you on over night stocking without your consent?
My dad is not in good health and hurt his shoulder, which we are stilll waiting on the doc to report. He works in the lawn section of walmart. In the winter time they force him to go on the night ...

If your temporary job ends, would you be able to draw unemployment?
I am at a temp job and it will last for 2-3 months. Will I be able to draw unemployment after the term ends?
Additional Details
I just quit my fulltime job, which was stressfull, to ...

Is monday 10/13/08 a legal holiday?

Does Wendy's give drug tests for employment?
I forgot to check before I submitted my application....

Is it legal for a company to advertise your current job ...?
A friend of mine works for a company who are rationalising and reducing certain job positions. To achieve this, they are asking the encumbents to reapply for their own jobs or those of their ...

I've already been hired for a job. Can they drug test me?
I recently got hired at a car sales job. My previous job made me take a drug test (which i passed). I heard from some of the salespeople at my previous job that they would be drug testing me at the ...

Ilegal & Inappropriate Job Interview Questions?
I applied for a health-related job and was asked things like: does your husband approve of you seeking employment? Also, how old are your children? Also, height & weight, eye and hair color was ...

Gave my notice for my job, am i entitled to holiday pay?
i have been working for 5 months, i handed in my notice because i was sick of the manager because she is very fly.
the thing is i have 2 weeks holiday pay lying and about 100 pound commission ...

Is this wrongful termination?
i was fired from my part time job after 9 years. 2 months ago, i was told i would be let go. but, after a meeting with my boss, i was assured that i in fact would not be let go, that instead, i would ...

Can your employer MAKE you sign a form?
I was recently reprimanded for something i do not feel i am guilty of. on the form given to me it says: "I have recently received a copy of this notification. It has been discussed with me & ...

Getting paid under the table?
my cousin worked for a pizza place to do door hanging. the guy pays them under the table and he is only 17 which is a minor from what i know and still needs a work permit in order to be employed, so ...

Can I be fired from my job for cussing while not on the clock?
I was on my day off and I show up to my job at a fast food restraunt. While there I let slip a "cuss" word. My manager heard me and threatened immediate termination because of it. I was ...

My employer fired me for getting hurt at work. how do I report his illegal behavior?

Can you work in real estate if you have a criminal record?

Does an employer have to make me full time if i work 40 hours a week?

Is there a minimum wage for a 14 year old?
I have a helper who is 14, what the legal payment???
Additional Details
Ha ha thanks for answers, James you made me laugh! Cheers again, S...

I am a 50 year old truck driver. I would like to change careers. Is it possible for me to become a lawyer?
i would like to know if there is a program i can apply for that can help me with finaces and monthly income at my age? Am i making a mistake looking to go back to school to be a lawyer, & futher ...

smithy
Sacked from work who will pay my maternity pay?
i have recently been sacked from work when i was 26 weeks pregnant. i have worked for the same company for just over 12 months. ever since they found out i was pregant i have had nothing but trouble with them. now i dont know who is going to pay my maternity pay. please somebody help me. i have sent a ma1 form off but they want a smp1 form from my employer telling them why i wont get payed.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Bob M
Rating
Nobody asked you to get pregnant! Why should the country pay for your child - pay for it yourself

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

ibu guru
Sacking you "because" you are pregnant is illegal, and they know it. So you can be sure that you were sacked for some other reason and they have it well documented in your personnel file. No company risks legal action for blatant illegal behavior. You will not win this one.

You are not going to get maternity pay. I hope you and your husband have saved up a proper amount of money before deciding to start a family. And you three will have to live on his income for a while until you find another job and go back to work. Otherwise, you made some really stupid moves and you are going to pay for your bad decisions.

BROWNFELLA
You will obviously not receive any occupational maternity pay (OMP) as you have breached your contract and therefore have lost your rights to the pay. I believe that your employer must pay you statutory maternity pay at the least 28 weeks. If i was you wouldd contact the Citizens advicebureaua or ACAS, they both have websites that you can look at and also receive advice. SMP rate is around £109 per week.

Kaska
Consult an attorney regarding wrongful termination.

As for paying your hospital bills. Contact the hospital ask ask about a grant program (they may call it something else). You fill out papers and they may have grant money to pay the bill. At least this is what they do where I live.

Go to the welfare office and sign up for medicaid. Pregnant women qualify if they have no insurance.

starlight
Rating
i was sacked from my job when i was pregnant , as soon as my boss found out my hours were cut and cut and cut until i was virtually not needed, she employed 3 more people that were not needed to do my hours, and i was booted out the door.
I went to the CAB and as i couldnt prove for definate ( although they agreed it was crsytal clear what had happened ) there was nothing i could do against them.

i wasnt paid maternity pay from them, i had to go on to jobseekers not actively seeking work and then income support

Janet W
difficult...if you think you have been sacked unfairly and because you are pregnant this is illegal and you can sue. there are a lot of "grey" areas to this though, you need to seek legal advice.ask to see a solicitor you will get legal aid so dont worry about the cost. if youve been sacked and it is your fault though you will get no maternity pay from your employer, and if you havent been paying full tax and insurance you wont get any maternity pay from the social either.
its maddening i worked part time for the same company for 12 years and left two days before i had my baby...i didnt get a penny from anywhere because i was part time and my husband was working he was expected to keep me.yet my neice and her partner who have both never worked in their lives got payments for everything!!! its so annoying!
good luck!

Fred F
If you are not employed then you will get no maternity pay.

Sign on the dole.

Deliciousonionsoup
It sounds to me like those cretins employing you were out to save themselves some money. They sounds like mean bastards.
If they purposely made your life difficult - especially after you became pregnant - then you have a case of constructive dismissal. I'd sure like to see them brought to book for their actions - publicly. Good luck.

Kristy M
You need to contact someone about this - sounds like a case of unfair dismissal to me? If you have had probs since they found out you were pregnant then the company will have questions to answer - obviously due to the time you have been working with them you should have been entitled to maternity pay and leave from them. It seems to me that the company has just been trying to find a way to get out of paying you while you are off with baby? Speak to Citizens Advice and they will be able to guide you and point you in the right direction to sue your former employer if they agree that your dismissal was unfair.

Trust Me
Rating
I suggest you get some legal advice regarding your being sacked. Go and speak to citzens advice about everything.

Samantha
Rating
If you were still officially employed by them 15 weeks before the expected date of childbirth, and you meet all the other requirements to received SMP (e.g length of service, minimum earnings) then your former employer is still legally obliged to pay your SMP. This is a government rule that they cannot get out of, regardless of whether you were dismissed or left voluntarily. More info here: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?r.l1=1073858787&r.l3=1080898273&r.lc=en&r.t=RESOURCES&type=RESOURCES&itemId=1080903421&r.i=1080903562&r.l2=1080898061&r.s=sc

My advice would be to write to them explaining that as far as you are aware you were still employed by them in your qualifying week for SMP (it might be handy to include a print out of the page from Business Link, from the link above, highlighting the section about payment of SMP when employment ends). As such you are seeking confirmation from them that they will be paying your SMP and if they are refusing to pay your SMP you request a completed SMP1 form informing you why you won't get paid.

If they don't respond or they are refusing to pay and you what to dispute this then this page has advice about what to do next: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/advisers/ni17a/smp/smp_21.asp#decision

I would really encourage you to seek advice on unfair dismissal as well. Too many women are still sacked for being pregnant, but unfortunately too many women do not exercise their legal right to challenge this.

Please also ignore some of the other posts on here. You've paid into the system, so you are just as entitled to your maternity pay as anyone.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, October 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy