Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Was he fired legally?
My boyfriend was being asked a question that he did not feel comfortable answering, and the next day he was told he was fired, with no paperwork. Then the person who told him he was fired told his ...

Do you have to give an honest answer to an illegal question in a job interview?
For example, if you have kids, and a job interviewer asks if you have children (which is an illegal inquiry), is it a crime if you say no?...

I have been refused an interview for a job for which i meet all criteria can i complain to agency .?
T his job is advertised by local employment agency and is still
vacant....

My husband was promoted in March. He won't receive his increase until September. Is this legal?
He received a new title and new responsibilities back in March. He was told that at the Regional Manager's meeting in May, they would discuss his salary at that time. At this meeting, they ...

Is it legal for a job to work you 7 days straight with no day off?
just wantedto know
Additional Details
im in alexandria va and im over 18...

My daughter is 15, can she do paid work?
My Daughter is 15, and she has just got her National Insurance number sent through. She wants to do paid work, like a saturday job, but my friend says she can not work until she is 16.
Can ...

Am I supposed to get holiday pay for working on President's Day?
I work at a company and get paid by the hour (40 hrs/week). However, my company doesn't give us public holidays off so I still had to come to work today on President's Day. Does the law ...

How does signing a piece of paper affect me?
I worked for a company for over 4 years within that period of time we were given to sign a paper which stated we were not going to work for another Company withing the same industry for a period of 3...

I am planning on going sick from my main job.whilst off sick i am considering doing another job with a?
another employer.......whilst i am off sick........could i get into trouble?...

If i apply for a job,when a backround check is done will my employer know i am on parole?
I applied for a job and i did not check the box that says if i ever been convicted of a felony. They veryfied previous employers and just e- mailed me witha job offer and an appointment to go take a ...

Do Restraining Orders show up in a pre-employment back ground check?
I am dealing with an angry girl who is using the legal system and her friends to get back at me in what ever way she can. This nut job has now filed a Restraining Order and I have no desire to go ...

I did not finished my contract with my employer, is it wise not to include it in my resume?
I worked overseas and stayed there for 1yr and 5 months, eventually my work was very difficult and my boss is playing with me ad politics is very strong that he only favors people who are close to ...

Can anyone tell me what the legal time is between shifts?
Is it legal to finish one shift at 21-15hrs and to return to work at 0700 hrs? even though those shifts are only 5hrs long?...

Exactly whay is a months notice to leave a company?
I have been in my job for 6 months, suffered terribly with depression, migraines and its become stressful to me.
I handed my notice on in 11th Sept and have 4 days holiday which I am going to ...

Is there a law that says i get paid for 3 hours if i show up to work and they send me home?
my son got sent home yesterday from work for a dispute with a supervisor. today he went to work and they told him he was suspended for a few days. please tell me, does he still get paid for a couple ...

Do you have a (legal) job that pays easy money?
I'm a 22-year-old undergraduate art/media student, I am also a single parent and eventually want to make BIG money to pay off my student debts and so my son and I can always live comfortably!

I've been asked to opt out of the EU Working times directive in order to secure a new job... is this legal?

If I go home early from work do I have to provide a doctors certificate by law?
I left work with only 3 hours left of the day because I was not feeling well and now my work is demanding a doctors certificate. Are they legally allowed to do that? do I have to provide one?...

If I was wrongfully terminated and I was an at-will employee am I completely helpless or can I do something?
I was a store manager and personally responsible for about 25% of my store's sales. My boss came to help out for this July amd August because we are in a resort location and the extra help is ...

Sacked from work who will pay my maternity pay?
i have recently been sacked from work when i was 26 weeks pregnant. i have worked for the same company for just over 12 months. ever since they found out i was pregant i have had nothing but trouble ...

PaulaT
My current job contract stipulates 3 months notice to resign.?
I'd like to line up another job before I leave this one but nobody is willing to wait 3 months before I start. Are there any legal "windows" I can use to reduce the 3 months notice I have to give?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Maria S ©
I AM IN THE SAME BOAT, I THINK PERSONALLY THREE MONTHS IS TO LONG. WHEN I LEAVE I WILL SIMPLY GIVE A MONTHS NOTICE. I KNOW ITS NOT THE BEST WAY TO GO BUT FUTURE EMPLOYERS ARE NOT GOING TO WAIT THREE MONTHS!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I was Thinking
Rating
What is the "penalty" for resigning 3 months early!
get a new job, don't show up at your old one, you won't have to resign

Just William
Happy has given the correct answer.

Hector S
Rating
Are they aware that you are looking for employment? How long have you done this job? And is there anyone that can take on your role? If you say yes to the above then discuss the option of one months notice with your employer.
However they have put it there to cover themselves if someone should leave. Giving them enough time to replace you.

roadrunner426440
Rating
In my experience most companies use that to scare staff.. which has worked in this case - but they rarely ask folks in real life to stick to it
Dd you have someone who has recently left to see what their experience was?
I would suggest (only) once you land a new job to give a months notice - if they give you any guff they can fire you or come after you in court (they may likely however not pay you out for unused vacation)
Most companies now do not give references (positive or negative) now, but merely verify employment dates so I would not worry about that
good luck

Barbara Doll to you
It depends on the penalties in your contract. However, I would guess at worst you might lose all outstanding money. If you simply don't turn up, and are in breach of contract. I doubt you'll get much of a reference if anyone ever asks them for one.

Ellie
Rating
I recently left a job- i gave notice but i didn't work it- they have to by law pay you for what you have worked. If you just leave there is little they can or will do i imagine. It depends on whether by your leaving you have agreed to forgo salary, or pay back money for courses etc. Check and see how you will lose out.

caroline1409f1
Do you have any holiday you could use up as your notice period? Some companies though realise there are longer notice periods so, as long as you make it clear when you apply, it's up to them to wait for you if you're the person they want. Good luck.

happy
No. If you are in a senior position then 3 months notice is quite normal. If you are going to a similar position then they should respect that 3 months is the industry norm and that you need to give the 3 months notice. If they don't then I would question their suitability as an employer because they are only looking for someone who is currently unemployed or who is so junior that they only have to give the statutory minimum notice. Are you looking for the right kind of job?

You imply that you have been offered quite a few jobs. If this is the case then why not take the plunge, hand in your notice and then take your pick from the jobs available pending the running of your notice. If so many people have turned you down on the basis of your notice then you must be able to et a job easily.

The only other thing you can do is that you say to your new employer that you have to give 3 months notice but will talk to your current employer to see whether they will release you early. They may well not want you to stay once you have handed in your notice and might let you leave earlier.

Happy Murcia
Rating
an employer can only ask for notice equivelant to your pay frequency,ie paid weekly=1 weeks notice,paid monthly=1months notice and so on..
If you did break you contract with your employer the only three things they could do are,,,
1/ ..stop your wages
2/ ..take you to court for breach of contract
3/ ..ignore it and let you go.
1 and 3 are the most likely to happen,you are under no legal obligation to fullfill your contract,for example if you won the lottery you would probably give up work that day..your employer may try to threaten you with a bad reference but they cannot legally give you a bad reference as that would be liable and you can contest it in court,
So your best options are twofold,
1/ ..fullfill your contract
2/ ..break your contract and take control of your life,,they do not own you ,they just pay you for your time ...If you can work it so that you do not lose out financially ie work in some of your notice to coincide with annual leave then try to ..
All the best with your job search

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, August 30, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy