Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

I've got a question regarding a job I've had for two months...?
In training, we're told we are only allowed to miss 2 full days in the first 90 days before they terminate you. I recently missed 4 days due to a painful miscarriage, and they are considering ...

What the best why to get revenge after u have unfairly lost ur job?

Is it legal for an employer to turn down an applicant for being over qualified for a job?
I'm unemployed and whenever I complain about not being able to get a job somebody always informs me I'm being too picky.

I can't even get an interview for a shelf stacking ...

Can my employee take time off work due to tiredness?
I have an employee who has taken two days off work stating that he is too tired. Am I legally allowed to discipline him? Or does he have legal rights?
Additional Details
EDIT:

What to do if you are fired without good cause?
I was fired the other day because some of the people that worked for me wrote out statements against me. No one bothered to ask me my side of the story & I worked for this company for over 4 ...

What is legal prejudice?

Is it legal for me to work alone late night serving alcohol?
I'm a female student in my teens and will have to soon start serving alcohol at my workplace. Thing is that I work until midnight, alone, no one else in the building (except customers of course, ...

I have a felony and no edu.I cant find a jobwhat should i do?
I cant get a job what the hell should i do
gas 4.00 kids 2 no income.

no job what am i going to ...

Can walmart cut your hours and put you on over night stocking without your consent?
My dad is not in good health and hurt his shoulder, which we are stilll waiting on the doc to report. He works in the lawn section of walmart. In the winter time they force him to go on the night ...

If your temporary job ends, would you be able to draw unemployment?
I am at a temp job and it will last for 2-3 months. Will I be able to draw unemployment after the term ends?
Additional Details
I just quit my fulltime job, which was stressfull, to ...

Is monday 10/13/08 a legal holiday?

Does Wendy's give drug tests for employment?
I forgot to check before I submitted my application....

Is it legal for a company to advertise your current job ...?
A friend of mine works for a company who are rationalising and reducing certain job positions. To achieve this, they are asking the encumbents to reapply for their own jobs or those of their ...

I've already been hired for a job. Can they drug test me?
I recently got hired at a car sales job. My previous job made me take a drug test (which i passed). I heard from some of the salespeople at my previous job that they would be drug testing me at the ...

Ilegal & Inappropriate Job Interview Questions?
I applied for a health-related job and was asked things like: does your husband approve of you seeking employment? Also, how old are your children? Also, height & weight, eye and hair color was ...

Gave my notice for my job, am i entitled to holiday pay?
i have been working for 5 months, i handed in my notice because i was sick of the manager because she is very fly.
the thing is i have 2 weeks holiday pay lying and about 100 pound commission ...

Is this wrongful termination?
i was fired from my part time job after 9 years. 2 months ago, i was told i would be let go. but, after a meeting with my boss, i was assured that i in fact would not be let go, that instead, i would ...

Can your employer MAKE you sign a form?
I was recently reprimanded for something i do not feel i am guilty of. on the form given to me it says: "I have recently received a copy of this notification. It has been discussed with me & ...

Getting paid under the table?
my cousin worked for a pizza place to do door hanging. the guy pays them under the table and he is only 17 which is a minor from what i know and still needs a work permit in order to be employed, so ...

Can I be fired from my job for cussing while not on the clock?
I was on my day off and I show up to my job at a fast food restraunt. While there I let slip a "cuss" word. My manager heard me and threatened immediate termination because of it. I was ...

drtygrl
Is there a law that says i get paid for 3 hours if i show up to work and they send me home?
my son got sent home yesterday from work for a dispute with a supervisor. today he went to work and they told him he was suspended for a few days. please tell me, does he still get paid for a couple of hours because he showed up? i know there is some law about this but i cant find it. please help. One more question, his supervisor made a comment "if i were you, i would shoot myself"........this is what started all this. Is there anything he can do about this?

Show all answers
Post your answer

PALADIN
Rating
Generally, the Wage and Hour Laws of the various States provide compensation for "hours worked". Since your son reported for work, and in fact remained "on the job" for three (3) hours he should be compensated. If not, look in the phone book for the Wage and Hour Division, listed under the Department of Labor for information on how to register a complaint.

As to your other concern, the incident that got him suspended, see my profile and contact me with the details and I'll attempt to provide advice and guidance.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

xjackie83
It depends on your state. A lot of states have the "right to work" law where the company or you personally are allowed to terminate employment at any time. In essence, there are no real rights for the worker.

Even if he legally isn't eligible for 3 hours of pay, I would encourage your son to find a new job. Working in hostile work environments are never fun.

bill l
Rating
in Ontario the labour law says that if a person goes to work and is sent home with out notice then they are suppose to be paid for a minimum of 4 hours of work.
your son falls into a different group all together he was in trouble at work so he does not qualify for this 4 hours of pay.
in addition even if he did qualify he would be very unwise to ask for this money if he is hoping to continue at that place of work.

Mel
There is a reporting pay law, which guarantees a minimum of 2 hours of pay in some industries if the employee was scheduled to work a regular shift and then arrived to find that not enough work was available to fill the shift. That law is not applicable in this case.

Your son is not entitled to pay if he has been suspended from work. In order to have been suspended, he must have committed a very serious infraction which could well result in him being fired.

There is no law that states that supervisors cannot make insulting, stupid, or even cruel comments...just think of the lawsuits we'd have if there were! If your son is not mature enough to overlook a crass remark, he is probably not mature enough to be working...we have all had to deal with obnoxious bosses at some point in our careers.

Brandi C
Rating
It depends on where you live. In california they have to pay you for 2 hours if you show up then they send you home.

Tell him to find a new job. He shouldn't work for someone who talks to him like that. But you should also talk to him about why his supervisor would say that. Did your son do something? Maybe he is very difficult to work with, maybe he complains all the time or is not good at some part of his job and makes a lot of mistakes. It doens't justify what the supervisor said, but try to find out more about whats going on so you can help him.

KISHOR LAL
the comment by supervisor . if i were you i will shoot myself is very provocative and suggests the suicidal overtones in it . The comment maker intends that the person who takes his beating should die and this is abatement of suicide . this is criminal offense. this should be tried in court of law for provoking the person to commit suicide.. you must get witness to support your stand and you must get legal consultant who will formulate your case papers and call the supervisor in court of law where you can claim damages.

Chef Frisbee
Rating
Sounds like an issue there of a personality conflict between your son and the supervisor.

The supervisor may be a twit, but your son may also be contributing to it - though he probably wouldn't admit it to you.

He needs to look for another job

DaveInSeoul
Rating
Before you go off and take your son's side at face value, if you are interested in helping your son out, I think you need to call and ask the supervisor for his side of the story. Don't start in with 'guns blazing' - it will only make the supervisor more defensive, and he might just hang up on you.

If you son had a dispute with his boss, and it elevated to the level of name-calling, unless you can somehow prove that it was an unprovoked attack against your son (and somehow I don't think this is the case), or that it falls into a Title VII discrimination issue, there is very little you can do about it. Most state emloyment laws are governed by the legal philosophy of 'at-will', which means your son can quit for any reason, and barring Title VII discrimination, your son's boss can fire him for any reason.

From your description of the incident, it sounds like the boss fired your son, and your son tried to show up to work the next day anyway, and was told to go home. He has no legal recourse in this situation. Even if he showed up and the boss told him to go home, unless he is governed by some sort of union shop (and I'm guessing he is not) then the boss does not owe him anything.

At this point your son needs to decide if he can work his dispute out with his boss or if he needs to try and get another job. Even if the boss made those comments, I sincerely doubt that you can take any legal action over the comments. Even if the boss is a jerk, I am not sure that your interference will make things any better (in fact it might make it worse - I know I would be thinking - "what this young man needs his parents to intervene? I'm never going to hire this guy back!").

Sounds like your son has quite a shocking introduction to the world of work. But from a legal standpoint there is not much you can do about this, even is the boss is a jerk. So my advice to him would be to shake it off and move on to something else.

HSTERN
Rating
no law unless your under a union contract, I would tell your son to look for a new job, suspended is an easy way to say he is fired

Sparkles
Rating
Your son will not get paid if he has been suspended. They are trying to get him to quit. He should spend his few days off looking for a new job. He shouldn't work where the people are not professional. He could end up getting blamed for doing something he didn't do.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Sunday, November 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy