Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

What would you do if you made over 75K and were suddenly laid off? Age is a factor in finding another job.?
Several years on the job and I was kicked to the curb siteting a reorganization in the company; however, I was the only one let go. I was a departent head and worked for one of many plants of a ...

There is a man at work that bullys me...can I do anything legally?
He always says things to me about being fat like, "I'm surprised you don't have a candy bar in your mouth". I don't eat snacks all day and I am not extremely fat...but he ...

I live in Massachusetts. The company I used to work for is not paying me my last paycheck, what can I do?
I was a cook at a restaurant. I gave them my 2 week notice back in september (the 20th I think)....I was an important part of the operation so they asked me if I could stay another week on top of my ...

Im a felon,hard to get a job. ive been struggling sence i was a teenager. how can i get help to a good job?
i was in trouble as a youngster. just try to make it. dads been in prison hole life. so now im tryan to change my familys ways and work but i cant get a good paying job worth being proud of. i need ...

Employment Tribunal?
I have my case being heard on Monday. Has anyone recently been through a case? It all seems so daunting, I had read the evidence from all sides and going mad. I lost my job becaus having giving ...

Would a misdemeanor come out in a company background check?
I got caught with 2 ounces of marijuana...i have also applied for a job and the last thing i need is the background check. would that come out even though i have not been to court to plead guilty or ...

Is it OK for a suprrvisor to fraternise with subordinates on a regular basis?
Occurrences are at least weekly, if not more frequent; supevisor can hire or fire these individuals "at will ".
Additional Details
This is not open to everyone to attend, it�...

One of our legal assistants has posted negative comments on her facebook page...
about several of the people in our office, some of them being our direct supervisors (who are attorneys). She has posted a lot of these comments while she's AT work. One comment is about me and ...

What are my chances of winning appeal after being denied unemployment?
my old manager was fired and then my attendance records were reviewed and days that he had excused were counted against me which eventually led to me being put on a final warning for attendance when I...

Unemployment question.....?
I have been employed at the same job for 1 1/2 years. I am moving out of state. I am wondering, when I quit my job, will I be able to get unemployment until I am able to find employment in my new ...

Am I a convicted felon? My name is Clayborne Stricklin.?

Can I get compensation for getting sick on the job?
I work in very poor conditions and they made us go outside and inside repeatedly today, from 30 degree weather to 75 inside and now I have a fever. Anything legal?...

What are the requirements to be a paralegal?

Is it legal for an employer to keep your tips?
I work at a deli chain. All of the employees make above minimum wage. (Barely!) We are often handed tips, left tips on tables, etc. Yet we are told that we have to give all of the tips to the owner ...

Will my criminal?
i have been put forward for a position in admin working for the ACIS. I have a criminal record. It has to do with obtaining payment that i shouldn't have with social security 8 years ago Will ...

What does one do after graduating from a law and economics course at a university?
private firm? internship? all answers welcome. please include salary if ...

Is going to a non aba law school worth it?
i was wondering if anyone knew if going to a non aba law school was worth it?...

I did a temp job thru Associates of westport and they didnt pay me, what can ido?
associates of westport is a shady staffing agency I did a temp job with and they NEVER paid me, what can I do?
Additional Details
Of course I talked to someone from the company. Of ...

Which career has better prospects?
I am just finishing up my first quarter in a graduate program for library science and seriously doubt future job prospects in my area. I don't want to be in thousands of dollars of debt for a ...

Can Past Employers Verbally Tell Salary Paid?
Is it legal for a former employer to reveal to a potential employer how much their former employee made? Or, rather, as I've often seen quoted, that they can only legally ask length of time ...

Andrew J
Is it true that after 7 years of a conviction, you no longer are required to mention it when applying for job?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Cubs Girl
Rating
Applications state"have you EVER been convicted of a felony"? You must disclose

If any application states " In past the past 7 years have you ever been convicted of a felony"? You can say no

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

john_carlton08
Rating
you're thinking of bankruptcy. when applying for the job, you answer the question asked. some employers put a time frame on their conviction question, others don't.

if it's a misdemeanor, you might petition the court to have your conviction expunged, that way you can answer "NO" to the conviction question (unless you're applying for a federal job, then IIRC, you have to disclose the conviction)

Minstrel
How a Conviction becomes Spent
The way in which a conviction can become ‘spent’ under the ROA will depend upon the sentence received for the offence, and the rehabilitation period that applies to that offence sentence. The principles apply to convictions in a criminal court, findings in a juvenile court, certain offences in service disciplinary proceedings and hospital orders under the Mental Health Act 1983.

The time required before the conviction is spent – the rehabilitation period – will be different depending upon the nature and length of the sentence, be it a term of imprisonment, a fine, a surcharge order, probation, or an absolute or conditional discharge. Relevant rehabilitation periods are set out below.

Unless otherwise stated, the rehabilitation period runs from the date of the conviction and will generally depend upon compliance with the sentence.

Relevant Rehabilitation Periods

Sentence Rehabilitation Period

Prison for more than 2 ½ years : Never

Prison, youth custody or corrective training for more than 6 months but no more than 2 ½ years: 10 years*

Dismissal with disgrace from Her Majesty's service: 10 years*

A sentence of Borstal training: 7 years

Prison for 6 months or less: 7 years*

Dismissal from Her Majesty's service 7 years*

Imprisonment or detention in YOI for 6 months or less: 7 years*

Detention in respect of conviction in service disciplinary proceedings: 5 years*

(Most) fines 5 years*

Probation order or community order (person 18 or older): 5 years

Probation order or community order (person under 18): Either 2 ½ years from conviction, or until the order ceases to have effect – whichever is the longer

Hospital order under Mental Health Act 1984: Either 5 years, or 2 years after order ceases to have effect, whichever is the longer.

Young offender detention for 6months or less: 3 years

Conditional discharge, binding over,care order, supervision order, reception order: Either 1 year after making of order, or 1 year after the order ends, whichever is the longer

Absolute discharge: 6 months

Disqualification: The period of disqualification

*Note: These periods are reduced by half if the offender was under eighteen at the date of conviction.

Excluded Sentences

Convictions resulting in the following sentences can never become spent:

· A sentence of imprisonment, youth custody detention in a young offender institution or corrective training, for a term of more than two and a half years.
· A sentence of imprisonment for life
· A sentence of preventive detention.
· A sentence of imprisonment or detention for public protection, or an extended sentence under the Criminal Justice Act 2003
· Detention during Her Majesty’s pleasure or for life, or a sentence of custody for life.
· A sentence of detention for more than two and a half years in the case of a youth convicted of a grave crime
· Certain court-martial and military punishments

New Convictions and Other Principles Affecting Rehabilitation Period

If you are convicted during the rehabilitation period of an offence which can only be tried by a Magistrates’ Court, the new sentence will carry its own rehabilitation period and will not affect the earlier one . Otherwise, if you are convicted during the rehabilitation period of any other offence covered by the ROA, then generally and if the second offence is more serious, the earlier conviction will become spent only when the later one becomes spent. If the second offence is less serious, then the later conviction will become spent only when the earlier one becomes spent. If during a rehabilitation period a person is given a sentence which can never become spent, this also prevents the earlier unspent conviction from ever becoming spent .

It is important to note that it is the length of the sentence imposed by the court which is relevant and not, for example, the length of time actually served in prison. A sentence counts in the same way, whether you are actually sent to prison or the sentence is suspended.

Where a person is convicted in the same proceedings of more than one offence, and the sentences imposed for those offences are either ordered to be served consecutively (i.e. one after the other) or wholly or partly concurrently (i.e. at the same time), then those sentences shall be treated as a single term, giving rise to one rehabilitation period. That period will be calculated according to the total of the sentences imposed. So, for example, if a person is convicted of two offences in the same proceedings – one offence for which he is sentenced to three months in prison, and a second offence for which he is sentenced to four months in prison – then whether or not those sentences are to run concurrently or consecutively, both convictions will become spent only after 10 years.

By contrast, where a person is convicted of a single offence but more than one sentence is imposed in respect of it (whet

Rachel
Rating
If your conviction is considered "spent" (as detailed in the other post) you normally do not have to declare it and are legally allowed to say "no" if asked whether you have a criminal record. However, there is an exception for posts which require a standard or enhanced criminal record check (normally required for posts working with children or vulnerable adults) where you do still have to disclose spent convictions.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, September 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy