Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Can an employer fire you if you are to sick to call to work?
My boyfriend was so sick he did not hear the alarm and basically slept all day, he was awaken by the cleaning crew who takes care of our building, later we found out that his job called the police to ...

My husband was dismissed from a job, now his previous employers are giving him a bad reference, what can we do?
An investigation never took place. He was asked into the office on a Friday and was "finished" on the following Monday. They are refusing to give him any information and he has had a new ...

Am I entitled to be paid for attending staff meetings?
I'm on a hourly (minimum) wage, not a salary. Am I entitled (by law) to be paid for attending the staff meeting?...

Is it illegal to not have hours at work?
I work in a cafe and I don't have any hours. For the past few weeks I've been getting the least hours there, Thats my next question too, Is your manager allowed to give people more hours ...

What's the difference between a lawyer and a solicitor?

Annual salary of a corporate lawyer?
I recently searched online what the annual salary of a corporate lawyer would be because I decided a long time agoI want to be a corporate lawyer when I grow up (I'm 14) because I was told it ...

Can I sue my employer for pushing me?
A co-worker recently returned from a medical leave. She and I work closely together, and one day she got really emotional, and tried to push me out of her office. Can I sue her or my employer?...

If i shop lifted and i got a caution will this show up on my record on a reference check?

I fellow server stole tip money from me and boss hasn't helped me?
i work as a sever and we don't share tips. u wait on your tables i wait on my tables u keep all yours and visa versa. well 3 months ago a guest called me over and informed me that her and her ...

Can i get fired if i tell my employer that i have a drug addiction?\?

I work for a drunk, my job is in dyre straights any suggestions?
I work for an owner who drinks on the job just about everyday of the week. They become physically impaired and mentally abusive. I need to keep my job at this time due to the current job market. A...

What does equal oppurtunity employer mean?

Last week my husband was 5 minutes late to work, because his power steering died?
The grocery chain where he works docked him FOUR hours! He ONLY works 4 hours, so he worked those hours for nothing!! Is this FAIR??? Do grocery stores have different rules? He is usually 15 minutes E...

My husbands on salary, is it legal for him to work 80 hours a week with no extra pay?
OK my husband has worked for this restaurant for a few years now and he became the assistant manager. He works 80 hours a week on salary that is supposed to be for 40 hours. He gets nothing extra and ...

Can they pay me this low?
I have almost 4 years of retail experience in retail and I recently got hired at Urban Outfitters in California. I talked to them today and they said they could offer me min wage. I don't ...

If I came off leave can my job lay me off?
My Dr. put me out on leave in May for the whole month, I came back to work on June 8th. Then on June 21st I was in a car crash and off work for a week(Dr. put me out). Now on July 12th my job fired ...

Help writing my resignation letter to my job?
I am leaving my job after 9 years. Help me writing my resignation letter....

Do I need to respond to an anonymous complaint to HR about one of my employees never wearing a bra?
It doesn't bother me at all, and she is one of my top performers. Plus, she looks great.
Additional Details
I am NOT in HR... the complaint was sent to HR, and they made me aware of ...

Why am I always overlooked on the job?
I have been in law enforcement for 11 years, 11 good years at that. I have been a great officer, with only 1 write up in 11 years, and that was because I was involved in an accident that was my fault ...

What exactly is sexual harrassment? How do I fight it?
I worked as a Manager for a large car dealership in CT. THe owner started to email me that he wanted to meet me for drinks, he said if I played my cards right he would see I got places. I never ...

wolf_lover83
Is it required by law that employers give their employees raises?
such as raise after 90 days if you do good job or yearly raises or cost of living raises? i have been with my company for lil over 1 year. i was told they dont do raises right now because they cant afford to. yet they have started a new program where they pick one guard every 3 months and give them a raise. thats only 4 per year. im happy for those people but do not feel that its fair.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Shane
Rating
No. There is no law that an employer is required to grant raises even if you have been employed for 20 years at the place.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

ord1226
Our government has yet to be able to get to that level to force employers to give raises. God forbid if that ever happens. When you work for an employer you work at will. At the discretion of the employer. You have certain rights, but it has not to do with your pay (except for minimum wage) or your advancement. (except for discrimination). If the company has less than 50 employees you might not be able to file for discrimination. It does not meet federal guidelines.

So your employer is much like a Monarch, like a God. I always said to myself this statement when working for an employer.

Work for an ungrateful master, let god be in your debt, of gain a habit that will be with you for the rest of your life.

So when you work for someone else, pretend your are working for yourself. Keep looking to make your situation better, especially if you have to leave to make it better for yourself. Don't ever think you are working for someone else. You are working for yourself. He has every right to fire you, you have every right to leave and find better employment.

"There is a silent third party in all our bargains. If you serve an ungrateful master, serve him the more. Put god in your debt. Every stroke shall be repaid. The longer the payment is withholden, the better for you; for compound interest on compound interest is the rate and usage of this exchequer." (Emerson)

leysarob
Rating
Heck no. The law only mandates that you get at least minimum wage. Anything above that is a gift from your employer and not required.

danny14551
No. You could work for the same place for 20 years and never get a raise. The only thing they have to do is to make sure you are being paid no less than minimum wage.

Heather V
Rating
No employers are not required to give raises by law.

raven
Rating
nope.

TedEx
Rating
There is no legal requirement for them to give you a raise. Sorry!

Stephen K
Rating
There is no law that requires an employer to give a raise

lbfm4me
No, raises are not required by law. Employers must follow the minimum wage hour law and worker comp. Insurance. Plus they have to follow certain OSHA regulations.

If your company can not afford raises but for 4, then it is in serious financial trouble and you need to start look for a job elsewhere. Good Luck!

Judy
Wherever did you get that idea? NO, raises aren't required. Actually, unless you have a contract for a certain pay rate for a particular length of time, they could even legally LOWER your pay, although that usually doesn't happen - if they do, your option is to quit and find a new job.

Judi
Rating
They're not required to give raises. At the same time, you're not required to stay with them. You've always got the option of getting a job with a company that pays more. You've got a year of experience already...unless they've got benefits that you really care about, or some other reason to stay, don't hesitate to shop around for a better paying job.

Don't believe that, about them not being able to afford to give you raises. They just don't want to. You mentioned you're a guard...I'm assuming private security. Most of those companies will charge a business twice as much as they're paying you..and when you think that they're getting that around the clock in most cases, it adds up to a pretty decent profit for them. My husband worked for a company in TX 10 years ago...they said they were exempt from paying time and a half for overtime (not true but he believed it) and they only paid $6 an hour. Ten years later, my husband no longer works for them of course, but they're now paying 6.75 and they're still not paying time and a half for overtime and now they have a brand new, fancy building for their office...which I guess came from all the money they saved by not paying overtime.

There are two kinds of security guard jobs...contract companies and in-house. It's much better to look for an in-house job, often you'll get the same benefits that the office workers, etc...get. Places that have in-house security are museums, hospitals, and some other places. My husband has an in-house security job now, that pays 12.75 an hour, 2 weeks of vacation a year, 8 paid holiday days, 2 weeks of sick time a year, health, vision and dental insurance all paid for by the company...and it's a lot safer and quieter than any of the contract companies he worked for. He has so little to do that he takes his dvd player with him, or gets on the internet on the laptop they leave out for the guards to use.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.064
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, August 22, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy