Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

If i apply for a job,when a backround check is done will my employer know i am on parole?
I applied for a job and i did not check the box that says if i ever been convicted of a felony. They veryfied previous employers and just e- mailed me witha job offer and an appointment to go take a ...

Do Restraining Orders show up in a pre-employment back ground check?
I am dealing with an angry girl who is using the legal system and her friends to get back at me in what ever way she can. This nut job has now filed a Restraining Order and I have no desire to go ...

I did not finished my contract with my employer, is it wise not to include it in my resume?
I worked overseas and stayed there for 1yr and 5 months, eventually my work was very difficult and my boss is playing with me ad politics is very strong that he only favors people who are close to ...

Can anyone tell me what the legal time is between shifts?
Is it legal to finish one shift at 21-15hrs and to return to work at 0700 hrs? even though those shifts are only 5hrs long?...

Exactly whay is a months notice to leave a company?
I have been in my job for 6 months, suffered terribly with depression, migraines and its become stressful to me.
I handed my notice on in 11th Sept and have 4 days holiday which I am going to ...

Is there a law that says i get paid for 3 hours if i show up to work and they send me home?
my son got sent home yesterday from work for a dispute with a supervisor. today he went to work and they told him he was suspended for a few days. please tell me, does he still get paid for a couple ...

Do you have a (legal) job that pays easy money?
I'm a 22-year-old undergraduate art/media student, I am also a single parent and eventually want to make BIG money to pay off my student debts and so my son and I can always live comfortably!

I've been asked to opt out of the EU Working times directive in order to secure a new job... is this legal?

If I go home early from work do I have to provide a doctors certificate by law?
I left work with only 3 hours left of the day because I was not feeling well and now my work is demanding a doctors certificate. Are they legally allowed to do that? do I have to provide one?...

If I was wrongfully terminated and I was an at-will employee am I completely helpless or can I do something?
I was a store manager and personally responsible for about 25% of my store's sales. My boss came to help out for this July amd August because we are in a resort location and the extra help is ...

Sacked from work who will pay my maternity pay?
i have recently been sacked from work when i was 26 weeks pregnant. i have worked for the same company for just over 12 months. ever since they found out i was pregant i have had nothing but trouble ...

What do people look for in a lawyer?
I am trying to determine the main things people look for in a lawyer and how they rank. Is it location, area of expertise, cost, reputation, etc.?...

Drug test for a job?
I will be drug test for a job that I apply for. I don't do drugs but does drinking alcohol count as doing drugs?...

Have u ever lied about what qualifications you have when applying for a job?
did u get away with it?...

Am i introuble? Legal advise please!!!?
Hi, guys!
My situation is like this... I got fired from my job for using internet for my personal things. That is ok I did not have problem with it. Then I wanted to delete 2 personal files from ...

Is it fair for an employer to schedule you?
for 3 hours when state law requires that if an employee is scheduled to work that day even if it's for 3 hours the employer have to pay them for a 4 hour shift anyway? Isn't scheduling an ...

I've got a question regarding a job I've had for two months...?
In training, we're told we are only allowed to miss 2 full days in the first 90 days before they terminate you. I recently missed 4 days due to a painful miscarriage, and they are considering ...

What the best why to get revenge after u have unfairly lost ur job?

Is it legal for an employer to turn down an applicant for being over qualified for a job?
I'm unemployed and whenever I complain about not being able to get a job somebody always informs me I'm being too picky.

I can't even get an interview for a shelf stacking ...

Can my employee take time off work due to tiredness?
I have an employee who has taken two days off work stating that he is too tired. Am I legally allowed to discipline him? Or does he have legal rights?
Additional Details
EDIT:

Freaked out
Is it legal to hold an employee responsible for cash drawer shortages?
I recently started working at a hotel where almost anybody can gain access to the money, it's just left in an unlocked drawer. Any employee walking by can stop and make change for somebody, take in cash, etc. Yet, at the end of my shift I share responsibility with the other employee working the desk for any shortages. Is this legal?

Show all answers
Post your answer

majormomma
Rating
Your employer can deduct shortages from your check only if there is an accounting of the money at the beginning and end of the shift and you are the only person who has access to the cash drawer during your shift. Also, the employee must be guilty of gross negligence and/or willful misconduct, not simple negligence.

You didn't mention which state you're working in, but I think all states have laws covering this. I did a web search of several state sites which specificially addressed ths issue. Of course all state laws must be in compliance with federal Fair Labor Standards Act.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Eric G
Well the issue here is that your employer does not have a good system for keeping their money safe.

What should happen is at the beginning of your shift you should go into a secure cash room and count a draw with your starting bank. At the end of your shift you should take that draw go back into the cash room subtract out the starting bank and what is left should be what the register says you should have taken in. Anything short you are responsible for. However, you should not be responsible to replace the money, you are responsible from the standpoint that you need to explain what happened. Also, you should be the only one with access to that drawer.

It is also difficult to place blame when people share a drawer. You could be stealing money and your co-worker takes the heat and vice versa.

I would have a talk with your manager about your concerns. I advise you not to question policies and procedures but just talk to him/her about your thoughts and maybe share an idea of how you can make it better. Managers hate people that question them, but they love employees who share their ideas.

leysarob
Rating
The employer cannot deduct the difference from your pay -- that's illegal. Did you sign a document at hire about taking responsibility for shortages?

StacieG
The best thing to do is to Google you're state's name and "Bureau of Labor" and either call them or send them an email asking them.

cluffy31
It is legal to hold a worker responsible for cash shortages if #1 YOU ARE STEALING IT

Other than that it is not smart for the hotel to have 2 employees on the same register. For that matter they are digging themselves a bigger hole. If you are stealing money and there is another person on the till you shouldnt have to worry about getting caught unless they have a camera on you.

Guy
Rating
no it is not legal. especially if there is absolutely no proof that you are the "primary borrower" (pun intended)

cassyfaye
With our business, we hold who ever is working responsible. and if there is other employees... they must ask you for the change or whatever. but yes. its legal. we usually hold them responsible and make them pay back the differance.

stan c
Most companies get bonds for their employees in case there is a shortage. I'd start looking for another job and make sure they are bonded.I've been in the collection business 35 years and I always made sure I was bonded before accepting a job.

ADMIN
NOPE--THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BE HELD PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE IS IF YOU ARE THE "ONLY" ONE WHO HAS ACCESS TO THE CASH DURING YOUR SHIFT--AND THAT INCLUDES MANAGEMENT GOING INTO THE CASH DRAWER ALSO-THAT WOULD ALSO RELIEVE YOU OF BEING SUSPECT. HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE ON CAMERA, ETC, AND THEY CAN ACTUALLY SHOW THAT YOU "TOOK" MONEY--THAT WOULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY.

RevLonxXx
yup it is.. money matters , especially in foreign countries.. just be careful...

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy