Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

How does signing a piece of paper affect me?
I worked for a company for over 4 years within that period of time we were given to sign a paper which stated we were not going to work for another Company withing the same industry for a period of 3...

I am planning on going sick from my main job.whilst off sick i am considering doing another job with a?
another employer.......whilst i am off sick........could i get into trouble?...

If i apply for a job,when a backround check is done will my employer know i am on parole?
I applied for a job and i did not check the box that says if i ever been convicted of a felony. They veryfied previous employers and just e- mailed me witha job offer and an appointment to go take a ...

Do Restraining Orders show up in a pre-employment back ground check?
I am dealing with an angry girl who is using the legal system and her friends to get back at me in what ever way she can. This nut job has now filed a Restraining Order and I have no desire to go ...

I did not finished my contract with my employer, is it wise not to include it in my resume?
I worked overseas and stayed there for 1yr and 5 months, eventually my work was very difficult and my boss is playing with me ad politics is very strong that he only favors people who are close to ...

Can anyone tell me what the legal time is between shifts?
Is it legal to finish one shift at 21-15hrs and to return to work at 0700 hrs? even though those shifts are only 5hrs long?...

Exactly whay is a months notice to leave a company?
I have been in my job for 6 months, suffered terribly with depression, migraines and its become stressful to me.
I handed my notice on in 11th Sept and have 4 days holiday which I am going to ...

Is there a law that says i get paid for 3 hours if i show up to work and they send me home?
my son got sent home yesterday from work for a dispute with a supervisor. today he went to work and they told him he was suspended for a few days. please tell me, does he still get paid for a couple ...

Do you have a (legal) job that pays easy money?
I'm a 22-year-old undergraduate art/media student, I am also a single parent and eventually want to make BIG money to pay off my student debts and so my son and I can always live comfortably!

I've been asked to opt out of the EU Working times directive in order to secure a new job... is this legal?

If I go home early from work do I have to provide a doctors certificate by law?
I left work with only 3 hours left of the day because I was not feeling well and now my work is demanding a doctors certificate. Are they legally allowed to do that? do I have to provide one?...

If I was wrongfully terminated and I was an at-will employee am I completely helpless or can I do something?
I was a store manager and personally responsible for about 25% of my store's sales. My boss came to help out for this July amd August because we are in a resort location and the extra help is ...

Sacked from work who will pay my maternity pay?
i have recently been sacked from work when i was 26 weeks pregnant. i have worked for the same company for just over 12 months. ever since they found out i was pregant i have had nothing but trouble ...

What do people look for in a lawyer?
I am trying to determine the main things people look for in a lawyer and how they rank. Is it location, area of expertise, cost, reputation, etc.?...

Drug test for a job?
I will be drug test for a job that I apply for. I don't do drugs but does drinking alcohol count as doing drugs?...

Have u ever lied about what qualifications you have when applying for a job?
did u get away with it?...

Am i introuble? Legal advise please!!!?
Hi, guys!
My situation is like this... I got fired from my job for using internet for my personal things. That is ok I did not have problem with it. Then I wanted to delete 2 personal files from ...

Is it fair for an employer to schedule you?
for 3 hours when state law requires that if an employee is scheduled to work that day even if it's for 3 hours the employer have to pay them for a 4 hour shift anyway? Isn't scheduling an ...

I've got a question regarding a job I've had for two months...?
In training, we're told we are only allowed to miss 2 full days in the first 90 days before they terminate you. I recently missed 4 days due to a painful miscarriage, and they are considering ...

What the best why to get revenge after u have unfairly lost ur job?

chicoandbaby
Is it legal for an employer to let you go for no reason at all?
On the unemployment letter that I received from the state, my previous employer put down that I did nothing wrong, I was ever written up, I never had any warnings, I did not know I was in danger of loosing my job. I was just let go because I was "unapproachable". He did not state what I was unapproachable about or who complained about me. Can I take this to a lawyer and sue?????

Show all answers
Post your answer

crazed_one_2007
Yes you can take that to a lawyer, It is clear that your employer has broken the law there.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

bmcbrewer
Rating
You lose. Most states have "hire at will" laws, which also mean "fire at will". It is corporate lobbyists that somehow "sway" the state lawmakers into passing these laws. It allows companies to fire you before you are eligible for unemployment and other benefits without anything coming back on them. The lawmakers that pass laws like this should be put in front of a firing squad along with the corporate people that dream them up in the name of "bringing work into the state". It is also how they get away with hiring illegal immigrants through temp services.

Collect your unemployment (Hopefully you can) and be mad.

hr4me
Rating
No, the employer is able to let you go with or without notice. (At-will) Unapproachable could mean a lot of things. They don't have to give you the name of person or person(s) that complained about you. I'm sure that there were other things going on and the unapproachable comment is what they came up with. Call up unemployment and ask them if there is more information or more details about the reason for termination. What reason did they tell you when they let you go? You can't sue but at least you can get some information for you to know what happened and try to fix the situation before next time.

Anna E
Rating
In order to sue, you would have to prove "wrongful termination" and in order to do that, you would have to prove that you were fired illegally. In a right to work state, where employment is at-will, employers can fire you for no reason, but they cannot fire you for protected status or behavior (ie-race, sex, marital status etc.), so in order to sue, you would have to prove that you were fired illegally for a reason relating to one of those protected classifications, which is very hard to do with the amount of information you have, so basically, no.

=^..^= kittie_kaat☺
depends on the state I live in Texas which is an employment at will state they can let you go without any reason.

deanspurrier
Yea you have no recourse against him if you live and are based in a right to work state like here in Texas. This simply means you can continue to work for a company as long as they want you too and can dismiss you for any reason. Most employers do not practice this, I know I didn't.

I might suggest that you write or visit with the person responsible and see if you cant talk to them. Maybe get your job back if you still wanted it. Good Luck!

canam
Actually in a non union job, you can be fired if they dont like your hair color. It would be usless to go to a lawyer and try to sue your employer. If I was you I would go to your former employer and ask what they ment by unapproachable. Maybe there was a misunderstanding, if not it would be good to know exactly what they ment for future reference and future employment.

Dave
If you work in an "at-will" employment state (e.g. California), then the employer can let you go for no reason. In most cases you're better off just moving on and forgoing the cost of a lawyer. If there were other factors involved (sexual harassment or discrimination, violation of wage laws or the American Disabilities Act), then you would have a better case.

As far as being unapproachable, employers very rarely will cite who complained. It could be a friend of the boss etc. I think the best thing to do is to really think about your personal interactions in your last job and see if there were incidents that could be interpreted that way. Do people tend to come to talk to you about tasks, processes and information? Or do they avoid you even if you're the one who has the knowledge. Do you act condescending or like a know-it-all?

And maybe think about unapproachable people you have run into, do you share any characteristics with them. I've known and worked with people who were difficult to approach in the past. You might decide it was all a bunch of hooey but it might be a good exercise to do some self-evaluation.

T
In most states it is very legal to for whatever reason they seem fit. What usually happens is that if the 'reason' is questionable, the door is open for unemployment, as well as possible suit. But, really, is it worth it to sue?? Apply for unemployment, you will probably get it, and look for something else inbetween.

smartsassysabrina
Rating
No. If you work in a "right to work state" and I'm sure you do, you can be let go without any reason given at anytime. Same way you can quit at any time without reason.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, November 20, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy