Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Can i sue if an employer/manager writes a threatening letter wanting to stab me and watch the blood drain?
A manager where I work had written a letter stating that she wanted to stab me and watch the blood drain. We had never had a real problem that I know of so this came as a shock for we have minimal ...

The Human Resource manager was absent when I was fired. Is that legal?
I was recently released from my job. This was done my 3 supervisors in a closed room, it was actually in the HR manager's office, yet she was not present. Is this legal? The reasons for my ...

I told on a coworker and was fired, is that wrongful termination?

Can you do anything legally about not having air conditioning at your job?
It's broke and taking months to fix... it's suppose to be HOT today in Philly. We have no windows and the ones we have up front do not open. The owner of the company is out of vacation ...

Do I have any legal recourse? I was fired for talking about hockey, then my supe made false statements bout me
I worked as a temp for a lrg Pharmaceutical comp. as an admin. asst. for 6 mos. I am a SJ Sharks fan & there are a few employees who are fans too, so as you can guess there's alot of hockey ...

Under UK law, is it legal to ask for a photograph with an application form?
Does this hold for volunteering/internships?...

Can you be legally fired from a job because of medical reasons?
I have severe anxiety and cannot go places. I stay in my house most of the time except to go to work and the store. My job had a mandatory meeting 40 miles away and I did not go so I was fired. I am ...

To practicing lawyers, can you help me choose a field of law in which to practice?
I am trying to figure out which field in which to start. I'll try anything but I'd prefer something that I MIGHT enjoy.

Please tell me what you can about the fields of:
P...

If you every plead gulity in court do you have to check yes when filling out a job application bout a felony?
(cont.) even tho u didnt do any jail ...

Less than two weeks notice?
This particular company offered me the job if I gave less than a two week notice to my current employer -

I told them No and they hired someone else- what's up with that?...

Can you get fired for no reason?
I was working at a place for 18 months,they ended up closing for a month then reopened a month later under new managment. Then a couple of weeks later my manager pulled to the sid e to inform me I ...

What is the minumum wage in the u.k?

Would i have any rights regarding termination if i have been working for one month?
I was employed at a differant company and was offered a job by my new company which i accepted, i have been sacked unfairly, but as i have only been working for a month i am unsure if wether or not i ...

Is your employer breaking a law if they refuse to give you your paycheck on payday?
At my job (waitressing), we get paid every Thursday. Sometimes when I or other employees go in to pick up our checks, the managers will say they won't give it to us right then because it's &...

What does a background check for potential employment include?
Is it just criminal? Or does it check on previous jobs as well?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm filling out applications, and I do not remember the exact dates of employment from ...

Im 14. and im homeschooled. would it be legal for me to have a summertime job this year?
i understand that most places, you have to be 15 to work... but one of my friends had a job at an amusement park last year and she was 14, but yet, the job application says "must be 15 or older ...

Is this legal??
I quit my job a couple of months ago and when I went to go get my last paycheck, they couldn't find it. They said I might have already gotten it but I KNOW I haven't gotten it yet. Anyway ...

UK employment law, continual petty misconduct?
Where do I Stand in taking serious disciplinary action against an employee who has a large history of petty misconduct Occasions of poor time keeping, small lapses of job performance, poor attitude, ...

Job termination problems?
I was terminated on my job on 7/20/07. When trying to get my last check today I am having to battle it, as you can basically say it magically vanished out of thin air & no one don't know ...

Can a former employer contact current employer and tell them why I was fired?
I was recently fired from a part-time job for something that wasn't my responsibility and in an effort to defend myself the situation has gotten ugly. This comment ragarding my full-time job was ...

Cindy W
Is it legal fire someone for a background check after they have been working for awhile?
If a company fires you for a background check they do 4 weeks after you have been working there, is that legal? Do they have to do this before the hire date?
Additional Details
they never asked about a background check. they just decided today to do one.

Show all answers
Post your answer

l f
Rating
Depends....Did you fill out your app. honestly?. If you did, you have a case. If not....well..

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Cubs Girl
Rating
Ok lets take this one issue at a time

1. employers are obligated to get full release from employees when conducting background checks. They are usually 3-5 pages that you would fill out for a background check.

2. They cannot terminate you based on the back ground check only if the outcomes is in combination of what you do.
ex: if you have embezzlement charges and you work in a bank or deal with money. Retail theft and you work in retail.

dap
sounds like you work for macys..hahaha... Thats what happened to my son, but after 4 months of employment...then they fired him and refused to pay unemployment, stating he abandoned his job...assholes.

MavistheMaven
Rating
There is nothing illegal about doing a background check after they hire you, but I think they have to have your signed permission. If they didn't, then you may have a case.

If they let you go because of something in your background, it can't be something discriminatory. For example, they could let you go if you committed a felony, but not if they found out that you have a disability.

Employers in many states can fire you "at will" for any reason they choose. But if they fire you for something they found in your background, you'll probably be eligible for unemployment.

Terry D
Rating
Typically they make you sign an application that states you will be truthful on your application. If they find out anything that proves you lied on the app, they can fire you anytime, even 10 years later.

slulitabert
Rating
yes. they can fire you at anytime for any reason. sounds like your in an ''at will' state. i am sure a person was told in one way or another a background check was going to be made. i worked somewhere that did that to someone. it was retail and the person did time for theft, so...
check the local and state laws where you are to make sure.

Imagine ♪♫
If you lied on your application and they find evidence of it. Then they can fire you. Even years later,

ignatz
Rating
It's legal. A background check takes a while.
They need some to do a job so they hire a person who "says" on their application all the "right/good/honest" things.
A Background check then comes back with a negative report and
ZAP! Person is fired. All legal.
Even if the person says they did not know they had a problem, does not matter. It's their problem, not the hiring company.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Sunday, November 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy