Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Legal advice?
I work for a small charity and one employee went off sick months ago, never sends in sick notes, ignores any letters we send to ask how she is or when she might come back, made an appointment for her ...

Are you entitled to see a copy of an unsatisfactory job reference?

Dismissal for gross misconduct with good record?
Hi,
A colleague of mine was dismissed for gross misconduct yesterday even thought he as never being discipline since his 7yrs with the company. He was a supervisor at a warehouse in Luton....

Can my job reprimand or fire me for looking for another job?
I am very unhappy with my current company and have since started a new job search. One of our competitors offered me a job (there is no non-compete clause); however, I never gave it a second thought....

My boss asked for a copy of my resume upon my resignation?
why would she want it?...

Forcing to work extra hrs without pay?
According to the 48 hr working directive, my employer can not force me to work more then 48 hrs on average. My contract says, my hrs are 30 hrs M-F and at times OT maybe required and it's ...

Is it discrimination to not get employed for wanting to have a baby?
i just wanted to know wheather me saying that i wanted to have a baby in an intervirew would have affeted my job?? also do employers have the right to ask you your age or is that now discrimination???...

My new employers want me to work 12days in a row without a day off are they able to do this?
Ok so a little background, iam a veterinary nurse and my practice has just been bought out by a neighbouring practice. They are all very nice and it seems like they are a good bunch to work for, due ...

Yesterday I walked out of work after my Boss cornered me!?
My Boss was a sexist, rude and intollerable man. I nearly walked out a few weeks ago but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt. Yesterday, as soon as we were alone, he started ranting and ...

Looking for a new job?
If you tell your employer you are looking for a new job but you don't want to quit until you find one and if your employer hires someone to take your place before you DO find one, would you have ...

Drug test and criminal background check?
I applied for a great job and have had two interviews, had all my refrences checked, my college transcripts checked and now they just had me to take a drug test and sign for a criminal background ...

An a person be sacked or dismissed from a job whilst signed off on the sick from her job?
i am off work with depression, caused by my work can they sack or dismiss me from my job because of this, I as being bullied by team leader and now i have depression, done grievance and no use, I ...

Can my boss make me do extra hours one day and send me home early the next so they don't have to pay overtime?
I used to earn a lot in overtime until an overtime 'ban' was brought in, requiring prior authorization to work overtime. When I need to work outside of my 8-5 shift, I'm told that ...

Can an employer ask you for 4 wks written notice?
they want me to sign a new contract that states this ! what happens ifi dont sign it? are they askin too much? what happens if an opportunity arrises and iv to start in 2 wks? what could he do?...

Jobs involving marijuana?
This is a half serious/serious question. I was wondering what jobs out there involve being surrounded by marijuana and marijuana related products. When I say job, I obviously mean the pro-mary jane ...

Is it a state law that your employer has to give you a raise every year?
I have a friend that said that your entitled to a raise every year. Is there a state law that I can actually go to that agrees or states its truth? I live in Texas....

Problem with job.....................?
my partner works at lloyds pharmacy. she works 9-4, 4days a week. from time 2time my partner has 2take a day off because the childminder is ill or she refuses 2look after our daughter cos she is ill. ...

Errors on working hours in employment contracts?
I have been asked to sign a contination of employment contract as a while ago my employer got bought out. In signing this contract, I have noticed that there is a line as such: Your normal working ...

Unfair boss needs to get sued!?
I live in the Los Angeles area and my boss has been making tude comments to me or about me. Where can I go to get some legal advice? I went to the CEO and he said that my manager is my boss and he ...

Fired for theft?
daughter was fired 4 theft at clothing store. They told her she owes them $8,000 even though they don't know what exactly was taken. They told her she could bring back the merchandise & they ...

luvsgummybears
Is it illegal to have someone call past employers to see what my review would be?
I've been putting some of my old jobs down as employment history, but I've been having alot of trouble getting a job recently and I think it might have something to do with one of those places. I haven't worked in a long time, and I had some little problems with a couple of the places, nothing big, but I want to find out what they have to say. Can I or the person I'm having call get into any trouble for posing as a potential employer to get a review?

Show all answers
Post your answer

donna g
Rating
It is illegal for employers to give out negative information. It is done more often than you know. Employers will also check your credit as well. If you are experiencing credit problems that can prevent you from being employed as well depending on your field.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Evilest_Wendy
Rating
You can call them and see what they are saying. They are only supposed to say if you are eligible for re-hire.

mimi
There are limits on what they are allowed to say legally. Contact your state labor board for specifics. If you suspect they are breaking the law, file a complaint.

By the way, I would suggest speaking with the managers or person you list as a contact to make sure they still remember you or to find out who is the current manager. Let them know that you're seeking a job and that they may be getting phone calls for references.

pommaid
First, you should not get into any trouble. Call using a script such as:

"Hi my name is (fake name) calling with (insert bogus company name) and I would like to verify that (your name) worked for your company"

At that point, you'll sound professional. They may ask for a release form/authorization form that states you are giving the fake company authorization to obtain information from them.

Secondly, most companies will only verify start date, end date, and job title. It is not common for companies to give out additional information such as reason for leaving, rehire eligibility and salary information. So, unless you embezzled a ton of money and they're angry with you, the company's probably not going to give out too many details.

Good luck :)

jamin_lee
Rating
only if they are saying things that did not have to do with your job or work performance

John R
Rating
First, what proof would you have? If you are recording the conversation and you don't tell them, then you are breaking the law. If you feel you are being screwed then report it and let the authorities work it out.

Now, you say you haven't worked in a long time. That is a warning sign for any employer. You might be considered lazy.

Then you said you have had problems at some jobs, a trait a past employer may not speak about, and you do have some protections there.

There are rules employers have to follow and questions have to be asked the right way. If I was doing an interview I would expect the individual to be honest and paint the best light on their past. When I call a past employer I ask them would they rehire this person? the answer to that tells volumes.

You're best bet is to continue your job search and make sure you explain your past employment issues honestly but be positive, why did you leave. You can be creative just don't lie.

Judy
No, you or your friend won't get in trouble for calling claiming to be a potential employer.

livn4themin
Rating
If they are slandering you, yes, you could really get them into some hot water. Have a friend, posing as a prospective employer call, see what/which one is being said.

evilattorney
Rating
Nope. Just make sure you get someone to do it who knows how to do it. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

michr
illegal? NO
waste of time? probably

references probably have nothing to do with your current situation. the economy is slow and employers can be extremely selective due to the increased number of applicants.
focus on your interview skills and broaden your horizons most states unemployment/employment development offices offer assistance with applications, resumes, skills training and career counseling take advantage of these services.

for the record there are not any laws in any state that prevent employers from releasing information about your work performance. as long as they are TRUTHFUL they can say anything. a couple of states do require a release form before info is disseminated and in all those states a signed application listing the previous employer as a reference is considered a release.

Dave
Rating
No. Trouble would be if potential employer of yours decided to contact a past employer without permission.

The fact that you "haven't worked in a long time" is probably what's going against you.

Regardless, you should talk to all potential employers who do not hire you and question them as to WHY they did not hire you. Unfortunately, most people will not be honest and they'll make something up but it's worth a shot.

If YOU call, pretending to be a legitimate company, you better at least make up a company name and such. If you pretend to be someone else that would probably constitute fraud of some sort.

You should also talk to some Human Resources people and learn how to speak on the phone when calling for job references. Chances are that whoever you are calling is going to realize that you're not really who you say you are in less than a minute. HR professionals have a very distinct, proper, and professional tone about them and often ask very similar questions.

By the way, past employers can comment on your work habits. This may or may not be negative. There is no law against them telling someone that you always showed up late for work.

Also, you will need to sign paperwork before a credit check is performed. I find that employers usually run credit checks after deciding that they want to hire; in fact, often the job verifications are performed after this point too.

YOU should know, AFTER AN INTERVIEW, if you are going to receive a job offer or not. If you are not up-to-speed with how to read interviewers then you are likely not up-to-speed with how to interview either. I suggest you focus your attention here.

After a good interview you should be able to walk away saying to yourself "they're going to call me tomorrow." Heck, during a really good interview the interviewer his or herself may tell you that.

It's a lot like dating- if you go/went out on dates and were unable to determine if the person you were with was "into you," then you might want to work on your social/emotional intelligence. Just google job interviews, body language, and KEEP ON READING for a few weeks.

Good luck.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.074
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy