Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Security guards wages getting deducted because someone got away with stuff?
My brother works for a security company, wich lidl (Northern Ireland) use, and yesterday people came into his store and stole £300+ of home cctv equipment, and he ran after them into a local estate, ...

What does it mean to wave my right to claim ?
in accodance with the working time regulation 1998 you waive your right to claim that the maximum average working time under the regulations of 48 hours in each seven day ...

Can anyone tell me what in case law an important source of law?

I have a felony conviction?
I am in the IT FIELD THAT IS A BANK...

I feel as though I have been passed over a promotion because of race. What should I do??
I have worked for the company more than twice as long as this guy. I have actually filled in at this position when needed already, he has not. When I have filled in I have been told I did an ...

What is the nature of Job for a Secretary?
Plz help me....

I m doing B.A.LL.B. and also applied for company secretary course(not resgular);should i go for mba or others?
tell me about the career of law student in mba; or any other better option..........
Additional Details
tell me about the career of law student (after law) in mba; or any other better ...

I was sacked from my job 7 years ago. if my current boss finds out, can i be sacked?

Will theft at a job 2yrs. ago affect getting a job now? Even though i had a job previously?

Whats the difference between background checks and personnel screenings?
trying to find a job? one says extensive personnel screening......

Employment Lawyers!!! Do I have a case?
I have been going back and fourth with this company that contacted me about being a recruiter. I interviewed a month ago and got my offer letter/agreement 2 weeks ago. I dont have recruiting ...

What will happen to a paralegal if she leave out new case law in a trial brief.?
Paralegal is working on a case an she dediced to leave out current case law taht was adverse to the client case. due to the fact it will weakened the clients legal arguments....

How can i become a lawyer?

Getting treated unfair at work?
I have a problem, i know im good at my job, its just that we wear uniform and every one at work gets to wear muffty when ever they want but when i wear muffty im the only one that has to go put a ...

Police Officer Contract?
I am a police officer and I signed a two year contract to stay with the agency or be fined 10,000$. I am trying to enter a new department before the two year contract is expired. Has anyone ever ...

Can i sue my supervisor for slander?
i worked at a company and i was suspended for 1week because my supervisor said i threatned her and that she was afraid to be around me. the verdict came back and i was found not guilty, she was found ...

Want to join the fbi, but got one mark on my record?
im 15, and i want to join the fbi, a few months ago, i got caught trying to steal a 20dollar video game, i was wondering, will that disqualify me,even if that is the worst thing ive done when im 15?...

How can I get a job in the Legal World with out having a Degree?
Hey people, I want to work in the legal world but I dont want to spend hella yrs at a school.. how can I become like a paralegal or legal assistant with out the degree? is that even possible?... ...

Is it California Law to require employees to sign their timecards at the end of each pay period?
I NEED REFERENCES/ RESOURCES PLEASE!...

Law degrees?
what are some degrees a lawyer will have?...

transcriberchick63
Help!! has anyone had to pay back their unemployment compensation?
My daughter had received unemployment (which they had approved her for). 6 months later after she had already found another job, the old employer filed an appeal and she has a phone hearing in the morning. Has this ever happened to anyone out there and how did it go? Any helpful pointers?
Additional Details
gosh, now I am really freaking out!! The hearing is in the morning at 8:15 a.m. We can not afford to get a lawyer and probably no time anyway! what to do??

Show all answers
Post your answer

CatLaw
Rating
In Illinois it is a common occurrence that the employer wakes up and decides to appeal a past unemployment.

Your daughter should obtain an experienced attorney to represent her at the appeal phone hearing. That phone hearing is her FINAL shot at getting this cleared up. This is not the easy, do-it-yourself telephone call that you may think it is. This is a real Court Hearing that follows all current rules of Civil Procedure.

An attorney reviews the appeal documents, questions both sides using the Unemployment Statutes of your state, makes objections in proper legal format, and prepares a closing argument that cites past cases. All evidence for your daughter MUST be presented to the Administrative Law Judge (person running the Hearing) prior to the hearing and be introduced at the hearing by laying the proper legal foundations. Any evidence or legal arguments that come up after the hearing is over are rejected, because this is her final opportunity to make her case.

Yes, I have seen this many times. My law firm has many cases like this. My advice is for her to get herself an attorney and not attempt to play Perry Mason. If she loses she will be liable for the money plus interest. In Illinois the state can go after any state funds due to a person who does not pay their unemployment back, and not paying the money back can cause problems for future unemployment claims.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Ask M
Rating
Once your daughter found a new job, she should not
have been collecting unemployment.

Suzy
Employer appeals are not unusual. If your daughter received the compensation for a just cause, she has nothing to worry about. Just be honest.

1 Luv Girl
Rating
Ok calm down. If your daughter was not working while she was receiving unemployment then she has nothing to worry about. If she is going to a hearing all you are going to do is sit down with a mediator and decide if she had received the money justly. If she reported all her changes in a timely manner and did nothing wrong then she has nothing to worry about. Before the hearing was there a phone call made to your daughter or a letter received? Most times you are notified that there is a pending investigation but you shouldn't have received any money during that time period. The company normally has 28 days to contest an unemployment claim. At this point and no offense since I don't know you it sounds like your daughter may be charged with fraud and may end up paying the Treasurer money back. If that is the case they will set her up with a payment plan and thats it. If she tries to file for unemployment at a later date and has not paid the money back her case will be denied.

*Edit* At this point an appeal on behalf of the company seems pretty pointless. Your daughter has complied with her part and has reported her changes in a timely manner. Unless the company feels that her unemployment was paid due to a fraudelent matter there's not much they can do. All you can do is provide proof that she lost her job justifiably and provide proof.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, October 25, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy