Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Better to ask permission or forgiveness for this...?
I want to pierce my nose, but I have landed a great job with an attorney as a legal assistant (and am studying to be a paralegal). I do want my piercing to be small, modest and "quiet". S...

Can i sue if an employer/manager writes a threatening letter wanting to stab me and watch the blood drain?
A manager where I work had written a letter stating that she wanted to stab me and watch the blood drain. We had never had a real problem that I know of so this came as a shock for we have minimal ...

The Human Resource manager was absent when I was fired. Is that legal?
I was recently released from my job. This was done my 3 supervisors in a closed room, it was actually in the HR manager's office, yet she was not present. Is this legal? The reasons for my ...

I told on a coworker and was fired, is that wrongful termination?

Can you do anything legally about not having air conditioning at your job?
It's broke and taking months to fix... it's suppose to be HOT today in Philly. We have no windows and the ones we have up front do not open. The owner of the company is out of vacation ...

Do I have any legal recourse? I was fired for talking about hockey, then my supe made false statements bout me
I worked as a temp for a lrg Pharmaceutical comp. as an admin. asst. for 6 mos. I am a SJ Sharks fan & there are a few employees who are fans too, so as you can guess there's alot of hockey ...

Under UK law, is it legal to ask for a photograph with an application form?
Does this hold for volunteering/internships?...

Can you be legally fired from a job because of medical reasons?
I have severe anxiety and cannot go places. I stay in my house most of the time except to go to work and the store. My job had a mandatory meeting 40 miles away and I did not go so I was fired. I am ...

To practicing lawyers, can you help me choose a field of law in which to practice?
I am trying to figure out which field in which to start. I'll try anything but I'd prefer something that I MIGHT enjoy.

Please tell me what you can about the fields of:
P...

If you every plead gulity in court do you have to check yes when filling out a job application bout a felony?
(cont.) even tho u didnt do any jail ...

Less than two weeks notice?
This particular company offered me the job if I gave less than a two week notice to my current employer -

I told them No and they hired someone else- what's up with that?...

Can you get fired for no reason?
I was working at a place for 18 months,they ended up closing for a month then reopened a month later under new managment. Then a couple of weeks later my manager pulled to the sid e to inform me I ...

What is the minumum wage in the u.k?

Would i have any rights regarding termination if i have been working for one month?
I was employed at a differant company and was offered a job by my new company which i accepted, i have been sacked unfairly, but as i have only been working for a month i am unsure if wether or not i ...

Is your employer breaking a law if they refuse to give you your paycheck on payday?
At my job (waitressing), we get paid every Thursday. Sometimes when I or other employees go in to pick up our checks, the managers will say they won't give it to us right then because it's &...

What does a background check for potential employment include?
Is it just criminal? Or does it check on previous jobs as well?
The reason I'm asking is because I'm filling out applications, and I do not remember the exact dates of employment from ...

Im 14. and im homeschooled. would it be legal for me to have a summertime job this year?
i understand that most places, you have to be 15 to work... but one of my friends had a job at an amusement park last year and she was 14, but yet, the job application says "must be 15 or older ...

Is this legal??
I quit my job a couple of months ago and when I went to go get my last paycheck, they couldn't find it. They said I might have already gotten it but I KNOW I haven't gotten it yet. Anyway ...

UK employment law, continual petty misconduct?
Where do I Stand in taking serious disciplinary action against an employee who has a large history of petty misconduct Occasions of poor time keeping, small lapses of job performance, poor attitude, ...

Job termination problems?
I was terminated on my job on 7/20/07. When trying to get my last check today I am having to battle it, as you can basically say it magically vanished out of thin air & no one don't know ...

Abbygail
Employer told me to stop talking to co-worker?
My manager told me to stop talking to my co-worker. Come to find out she has told 3 or 4 other people the same thing. Is this legal. I don't mean that we're in a quite work area and we are speaking when we're not suppose to. It's a little odd to me that she is the only black female in the office and they have labeled her as a troublemaker. She is one of my friends - do they have any right to do this???
Additional Details
The girl is not a troublemaker. I was also told I would lose my job if I didn't quit talking to her.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Lady Raven
Rating
I would suggest talking to the manager regarding the reasons behind why they do not want anyone talking to this employee. You can always say something to Human Resources, but if this lady has heard the manager telling people to not talk to her, it might be best if SHE is the one who reports it.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Suzy
There may be more going on here than you know so don't put your job in jeopardy. Tell your friend what happened and let her know that until things have cleared up, you will have to communicate with her off the clock.

Abimelech
Rating
Yes, they have a right to do this. But you have a right to know the reasons why this has occurred. If you're a good employee - and if you're being truthful here, then it sounds to me like you are a good employee - then put on a respectful, pleasant demeanor and ask why. If you're not told, or told that the reasons are confidential, then ask respectfully and sincerely if YOU caused a problem. If you didn't, and you're told that the reason this happened, is confidential, then you can relax and assume that the problem lies elsewhere and you were given a "heads up". Talk to her only when the job requires it. If she comes to you, and asks why your behavior has changed, you'll have to decide how YOU want to handle it, but I wouldn't lie about anything. But don't go to her and volunteer anything.

Patti
Rating
Speak with your human resource officer and let them know what your manager has stated. He may or may not be correct and at least you will have it "documented." Blessings, Patti

∞infiniti∞
No, it is not illegal if your talking is disrupting your work. Your employer pays to work, not to socialize. If, however, your manager forbids you to have conversations on your own time it is not illegal, but it is highly inappropriate.

Mandy P
Rating
Well, is she a troublemaker? Just because she is black, that's not an excuse to act inappropriately. If you feel they are being racist, contact someone in HR. I always say, choose your battles carefully.

yourmtgbanker
Rating
This is highly unethical of your manager. If the manager has a problem with this person they need to address it with the co-worker not her work associates. It sounds like discrimination. A lot of companies have a 1-800 line that you can call to report unethical or suspicious activity at work the call is anonymous so you do not have to give your name then HR investigates.

Mel
This depends on a few things:
-are your conversations being restricted during work hours only, or is your manager instructing you not to converse on your own time, such as meal periods? Management cannot dictate how employees spend their leisure time unless they are paying you for that time.
-have you all been instructed not to speak to one another, or has everyone been instructed not to speak to only this person? If it's the latter, it could be disparate treatment.
-it's inappropriate for your manager to discuss disciplinary issues with the staff, but do you have any reason to believe that this person is in fact a "troublemaker?" Has she confided in you that she's been written up or otherwise gotten into trouble with the boss?

Check www.eeoc.gov for more on discriminatory/disparate treatment. Depending on the circumstances, your friend may have legal recourse.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, April 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy