Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Background Check??
What is EXACTLY checked once a potential employer runs a background check on you?...

Professional women: how do you cope with long hours at work?
I'm considering signing a contract which will have me working up to 12 hours a day or more. It's a top law firm and a good career move, and I don't have other offers at the moment. But ...

Fired 3 weeks before New Year, employer will not match 401k in Dec 31. Do i have any legal recourse?
The 401k plan administrator says "tough luck" because i need to be employed at the end of the year to received the match (as approved by IRS). FYI, i had contributed the maximum allowed for ...

Do I have to work overtime, if I had taken time off work, to see a doctor?
hey, this is Zen.
I have just arrived to london and am a permanent employee in one of the largest london companies.
Do I have to work overtime, if I had taken time off work, to see a doctor?...

What does this legal jargan mean???
HSLDA has found that it is better if families do not use the services offered through their local public school. We have observed that many families have found themselves mired in legal difficulties ...

Can you collect unemployment if you quit your job because your going to back to school?
I am going to school at night but eventually I will have to student teach. Can I quit my job and still collect since I am trying to further my education? Or am I out of luck?
I live in PA if ...

Somebody hit my friend on a his moped. I need legal advice?
My friend was driving his moped and was hit by another car. He had injuries and the bike had injuries. We have recieved no letters, just one phone call from a company saying that they wanted a 1000 ...

Can an employer retract a job offer?
I received a verbal offer for a job. Over the course of the weekend, I played email-tag with this place trying to get answers to some questions I had, like job role/requirements, salary/benefits, etc....

If you worked for the HR department and you...?
interviewed someone you really liked. Meaning their qualifications and their personality. But, when you called their boss for reference they probably said somethings you didnt want to hear. Would you ...

How Much Is MIN. wage now??
My husband took a job they say 7.00 an hour is that legal should he not be getting at least min. wage Thanks to everyone.....

Looking for some clarification - recently been sacked from a company.Few issues?
I'd been working at a golf club since Feb of this year and was hired on a 3 month probationary period. 3 months down the line, all was good, I had received a formal warning highlighting a few ...

Any lawyers out there? What's the law on this?
My friend owns a shop and put an ad in the paper to sell electronic goods at a discount price and told those interested to email. My friend decided that she wasn't making enough profit and so ...

I have a job that pays below minimum wage, what can I do?
What proof would I need? Is there a reason why they would be able to get away with this, maybe some kind of exception? Is there a way I can gain money from this? The pay is $7.21, minimum wage is $7.2...

The boss is always "sick". Legally, can she be fired for not coming in?
I do not work for her anymore, but one of my friends does. It is a retail store with about 8 regular employees and 3 shift managers. She is the General Manager of the store.

Without fail,...

Should I have taken Legal Action?
I know its no good thinking about it now, but would I have had any case against this horrible woman, did she break any laws.

About 4 months ago I had a job interview for a Pa position for ...

Terminated without reason after 7 years???can i sue them ?
after all the tim e i spent at my job they let me go with this ..."we are terminating our business relationship!" this co. has just taken over the company i was working for and has ...

Size discrimination help please?
I am a 5'8" 300lb female and I work in a call center. I have been off work since Monday. When I went to work last night I found that my chair had been taken away and in place of it was a ...

Can an employer force me to sign a warning?
At my work I always check my timecard at 7:00 and stay late, becuase we were told not to incurred overtime.

One member of my department just got fired and we need to work longer than 7 to ...

Are there any legal rammifications for being caught selling methadone?
please include where you found it!...

How do I report my boss's behavior to someone who will do something about it?
I've recently began working at Fedex Ground, and the manager there is very crooked. He shows obvious favoritism treats everyone differently and sometimes fires people based on how personal ...

Bruce W
Does "voluntary resignation" disqualify me from unemployment benefits?
Upon company lay-off due to lack of work, company wants me to sign a severance agreement stating that it is a voluntary lay-off.

Show all answers
Post your answer

The Citizen
Rating
There's a difference between a voluntary layoff and a voluntary quit. The former you get unemployment for and the latter you do not. If you have a union run it by them. If not, make sure the paper states you are being laid-off, not resigning, and better yet, that you will be eligible for unemployment compensation under your state's guidelines, provided you meet the other requirements.

In my union, we have people take voluntary layoffs all the time and they are paid UI comp.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

birdbackg
In very rare cases could one collect benefits after resigning. This is the reason your employer is having you sign this statement. Calculate what your unemployment benefit will be and decide accordingly.

Steph
Rating
It depends on the laws in your state. I know that in the states of VA & TN that a voluntary resignation does negate unemployment benefits. Good Luck.

whf3826
Rating
Here is a short excerpt from findlaw.com:

In most states, a terminated worker may receive unemployment benefits as a result of a business reorganization, massive layoff, job elimination and other "no-fault" reasons. In some situations, this also includes.findlaw being unsuited or unskilled for the job and even for overall poor work performance. However, a worker generally may not collect benefits caused by a voluntary resignation or a termination due to misconduct. The following are common examples of acts that often justify the denial of unemployment benefits based on misconduct:

Insubordination or fighting on the job;
Habitual lateness or excessive absence;
Intoxication or drug abuse on the job;
Disobedience of company work rules or policies;
Gross negligence or neglect of duty;
Dishonesty or unfaithfulness.

The best thing for you to do is go to the unemployment office in your area and ask them how this voluntary resignation will be interpreted by them.

oliver_a2002
In most states, Yes.

joshua L
Rating
the majority of states will NOT grant you unemployment if you voluntarilly resign

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 2, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy