Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

IN what states is it illegal to give a negative reference in terms of employment?
Or illegal to give a reference more than just dates of employment, salary, etc.
Additional Details
I ask because I am in a wage dispute with my former employee and my potential is ...

If you were an employer and a member of staff was caught in the pub when they should have been at work?
What would you do about it?
Additional Details
You can assume that they shouldnt have been in the pub and should have been at work, that simple....

If I lose my job because of a lie that a customer said to my manager...?
Would that be considered slander and could I sue that customer for damages? I work in a hotel and a guest claimed that I called his girlfriend and told her that he was bringing strange women back to ...

I'm being treated unfair at work and need to know if there are any unions i could join to help me with ?

How can I withhold a credit check until I have gotten closer to being hired?
I don't want perspective employers to dig into my report and lower my scores simply because they can with little or no interest in hiring. Is there anything anywhere that upholds my right to ...

How can I tell if I was terminated or laid-off from my job.?
After a disagreement at work (non-violent) I was notified by the owner via email that they were "unsure if they would have hours to offer me in the future." Never giving me an oppurtunity ...

Which state to file unemployment claim?
I was terminated from my job & plan to file to unemployment, however am not sure which state I need to apply with. I live in Illinois, however the job I was employed with was in Missouri & I ...

Sex Discrimination -?
What questions would you ask if you worked in a HR department and you wanted to find out what level of understanding your managers had regarding sex discrimination in the workplace?...

Will I be forced to join a union?
I'm 18, and I'll be starting up at Albertsons next week.

Unions are great and all, but only if you're putting in substantial hours. I'm going to be working part time ...

Is Employment Authorization Card required for job if I am a U.S. Citizen?
I am 18 and I was born in the U.S., do I need to applied for an employment card? Sorry, I'm new to this....

What does a lawyer do when they know their client is obviously guilty?

Additional Details
I am not a criminal. I want to be a lawyer....

Can an employer renegade on promised health insurance?
My employer pomised me health insurance (that is the only reason I accepted this lousy job) and after three months (when I am suppose to become eligible) She is denying me coverage "due to ...

DENIED UNEMPLOYMENT, NOT MY LAST JOB!!!?
I WAS WORKING AS A WAITRESS AS OF 6/08 AND WAS HIRED ON AT ANOTHER PLACE IN 8/08 AS A MANAGER. I WANTED TO WORK BOTH PLACES. WHILE IN TRAINING AT THE SECOND PLACE AFTER THREE DAYS I REALIZED MY SAFETY...

Can I become a lawyer?
I have done graduation in 2003 from Arts stream with 38% marks. I want to do law. Would I get admission anywhere in Indian university with 38% marks. I know that my percentage is very low, but please ...

Is the Paralegal field a good one to go into? Are there many job opportunities? How is the salary??
I know of a girl who went to school for it and couldnt find a job, so she is going back to school again??? But I dont know if she possibly just attended a crappy program?
Additional Details...

When you go applying for a ne job,in your opinion,do you look for a job that has alot of your skills,or do you
look for a job,where you're going to be trained?...

What am i getting myself into if im deciding on going to Law school? How intense is it?
im thinking about real estate, immigration, or corporate law what advice can u give me and what recommendations do u have for me resumewise....

I got fired?
i got fired a couple of weeks ago. I was in a "union" and i was fired because of "Insubordination" But every single "GUY" that ever was insubordinate just got either a &...

I just got fired, am I more likely to find a new position if I lie and say I'm still employed?

I am applying for a job in rite aid?
what do i put for position. I want to be the cashier/stocker and on the rite-aid website doesnt say anything about ...

dragons_n_friends
Can my employer charge for mistakes?
I work at a pizza franchise in Washington state and if one of us makes a mistake, that person gets the mistake deducted from their paycheck. Is that legal? If it isn't, please send me a link with more information.

Show all answers
Post your answer

v b
Rating
Why should your mistakes cost your employer money?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

SuziQu
Rating
Sorry, I can' t send you to a link but your employer would need to inform you of their rule concerning errors at the time of employment.
Upside, if you have to buy it, you take it home.....

prairieprincess
I live in Canada, and I know it's illegal to do so, in Canada. I'm not sure about the US. I think the rationale is that the employee is not responsible for the risks of the business owner. He or she takes a risk by hiring an employee, and he is responsible for the possible consequences of that risk.

According to this link, I am right. It is illegal in most states to deduct employees for their mistakes. Just look down the page on this link.

http://72.30.186.56/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=%22employee+mistakes%22+pay+for+illegal&rd=r1&u=www.ewin.com/articles/faq.htm&w=%22employee+mistakes%22+pay+illegal&d=HMGlfhg5RL96&icp=1&.intl=ca

I would call your state labor board, though, just to confirm.

BizGuy
Rating
It ABSOLUTELY is not legal.

In WA, an employer can not deduct wages for damage or loss.

Here's the best link I could find:

(whoops, had wrong link...fixed now)
http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/Rules/WAC296-126/296-126-028.asp

read the examples at the very bottom of the page. Your situation would be similar to #4.

You can call WA L&I to verify you're in the right. All employees who this has actually happened to, can file claims. WA L&I is quick, and no-nonsense...they'll put a stop to it VERY QUICKLY. They can even fine the employer.

Of couse, you can get FIRED for making mistakes, but in WA state, they can't touch your pay.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, October 24, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy