Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Can they fire me if I quit first?
I have a hostile manager at my current job who I believe is getting ready to fire me because it is her (absurd) perception that I have a bad attitude because I cracked my knuckles during a meeting ...

Is a permanent layoff the same as being fired?
Is there such a thing as a permanent layoff?...

What age can i get a job?
im 13 and im wanting a job.what age can you apply for a job ? and what places can you get them at ?...

I lent my mom $5000 8mo ago, and she won't pay. What legal recourse do I have?
In the state of California.
No written contract.
Oral Contract.
Additional Details
I'm 20 years old, and my mom is unemployed and most likely relapsed on drugs. I'm ...

Bullying at Work?
Recently I resigned from my office job where I feel that I was being bullied by my line manager. The manager was very clever & sly and was very careful as not to make things too obvious. He ...

Is this legal? please help?
I have been at my job for 4 months and I had no prior experience in this profession my boss was well aware of this before he hired me he started me out at $10.00 per hour and now has cut my pay to $8....

Can my hourly rate be cut?
i am a supervisor and wish to down grade my position and work part time.My employer says apart from
loosing half my wages he can reduce my hourly rate as i am no longer supervisor,is this ...

I have had a job offer, how long do i have to think about it be for i decide to take it? legally!?
Had a job offer letter 3 weeks ago and i have only just decided to take it as it is aboard. they now tell me they have offered the job to someone else, can they do that?...

Which job do you consider more impressive?
FBI Agent or a Lawyer? just trying to settle an argument.
Lawyers have to do so much more to earn their job, and they make tons more, but the FBI also has a certain prestige to it as well....

Sexual Harassment at work…?
I currently am working a summer internship and know that I am getting sexually abused! I am a 21 year old male and I am harassed all day by my co-workers. From the minute I walk in the door I am ...

Im a felon. no one wants to hire me! what should I do where should I go?should I lie on my app?
I was convicted of a felony and in the past when I lied on my app I had no trouble getting any job I wanted. Now im honest and no one will hire me because of my back ground check which shows one drug ...

Can I get fired if my employer finds out I got naked on webcam for a large audience?
I'm a ...

How do I become a secretary?
I currently work as a Junior Secretary. (I have over two years general office experience - office junior type roles before this one).

I have worked for my company for 13 months but am ...

Salaried - and am deducted vacation for leaving early or coming in late?
I am salaried and my employer deducts vacation time if I leave a few hours early or come in a few hours late due to a doctors appointment. Is this right? I thought salaried employees only had ...

Is it required by law that employers give their employees raises?
such as raise after 90 days if you do good job or yearly raises or cost of living raises? i have been with my company for lil over 1 year. i was told they dont do raises right now because they cant ...

Can I be fired for not accepting a job I would be uncomfortable doing?

If you quit your job and the employer still owes you a check for the week you worked. do they have to pay you?

What options do I have if I was fired because I'm 42 and I have some age wrinkles?
I was hired 2 months ago to open and manage a practice for a new dermatologist in my town. Friday out of the blue he fired me. Apparently I do not have the face of dermatology. I don't have ...

Right to take holiday time at work?
Our employer is trying to implement a system where 2 people are not off on holiday at the same time. I can understand the reason for this but due to the number of employers and lack of weeks in the ...

Are "lawyers" and "attorneys" the same thing?

Alyssa
Can my boss make me do extra hours one day and send me home early the next so they don't have to pay overtime?
I used to earn a lot in overtime until an overtime 'ban' was brought in, requiring prior authorization to work overtime. When I need to work outside of my 8-5 shift, I'm told that instead of being paid overtime I will instead be able to go home earlier the next day.
I work in the IT field and expect to have some crazy hours, but feel I should be compensated fairly for them. Frequent changes to my routine to have me work late one day and finish early the next are not what I consider fair compensation.
I work for a very large public company (50000+ employees) and I am non-exempt.
Additional Details
I forgot to mention I am in New York state.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Karen B
Rating
depends if you have a contract

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Sound The Stereo
Rating
oh buck up, this is the life you let yourself fall into, deal with it

balkapow
Rating
ALL DEPENDS ON THE CONTRACT YOU SIGNED

if that clause is in the contract your employer is within their rights to do so.

look at your contract

corp_752000
Rating
As long as the total hours at the end of the week = 40, nothing you can do. They can work you 12 hrs. for 3 days and 2 hours for 2 days and no overtime is paid unless you have a contract. <union>

Judy
Rating
In most states, yes that's legal, you are only paid overtime if you work over 40 hours in a week. In some states, overtime is mandated for hours over 8 in a day - CA is one, there might be others.

Many highly paid computer professionals are exempt under federal law from being paid overtime, although their state might in some cases mandate overtime pay anyway - go tohttp://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fact_exemption.htm and download the sheet for computer related jobs. .

Ricky&#39;s Mommy
Yes. A company is not obligated to pay you overtime unless you work the extra hours. Your boss is trying to save the company money and so he has the right to work you extra one day and send you home early the next to prevent this.

I know it sucks but, they can legally do this.

Tsunami
yes if they have told you no overtime or you could get fired then you will see if they need you longer one day they can do it but if youw ork for civil service they can't do it and the union will step on them now. it all depends on where and whom you work for.

Church Lady
I'm in NYS also....yes, he can do that. I know it is unfair but that's the way it is. Unfortunately, our state labor laws protect the employer way more then the employee.

Also, as a side note, ours is what is called and "At Will" state. This means that your employer can fire you at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. They don't even have to give you a reason.

madisyn loves ya!
Rating
I think so.

Mike G
Rating
From what I understand it is not illegal for your employer not to pay you ot if you have not exceeded 40 hours in the work week. Most companies with ot bans find creative ways of getting around it. In some states California I think if you work more than 8 hours in a day you are entitled ot pay regardless of how many hours you work in the week.

JM
Rating
Although this seems unfair it is perfectly legal (as you are an "at will employee"/no contracts). A non-exempt employee has to be paid OT at time-and-a-half for all hours worked over 40 in the work week. The employer has the right to manage individual schedules so that an employee does not go over that 40 hr mark. A couple of years ago there was a proposal to change the OT requirement from over 40 hrs in a work week to over 8 hrs a day but this didn't get passed.

The employer can not, however, ask you to work over 40 hours and substitute time off instead of paying you OT.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, October 25, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy