Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

My son is 13 and really wants to earn some regular money, is it legal to gain employment at this age??
He will be 14 next month, but in the meantime he really wants to get a little part time job. I have been told that 16 is the legal age limit?
A paper round is a no no in my books as I think ...

How much do paralegals make per year?
I'm noticing a lot of hot-looking women in my office building that work at the law firms. They can't possibly be lawyers, they aren't dressed like lawyers and don't have that &...

Forced holiday in christmas?
I offer my staff 20 days holiday - also 8 public holidays - but we plan to close all of christmas - 4 extra days can i force my staff to take them from theor holiday allowance if they havent already ...

Is it legal for a 14 year old to have a job?
My 14 year old cousin said that you may need a licensce or permission from a adult or guardian.hope this helps to tell you to make an answer....

Am i fired?
i didnt go to my job for two days...i didnt call out...do i assume they fired me? or what can i say to cover my @$$? any good excuses or is it too late?...

CAN somebody explain me,what a Corporate lawyer do????

Is it legal for an employer to require you to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for work?
I just got a new job, and when I signed the offer letter, there was no mention of hours and days that I would need to work. All I was told was that I would have full benefits, and 10 vacation days ...

Am I allowed a kettle at work?
Ive been told to remove my kettle that I use to boil water, to make a cuppa, from my place of work. This is because a vending machine has been installed that issues hot, not boiling water and there ...

Can I sue my employer and win?
About three weeks ago I got a call from a potential employer saying that they wanted to offer me a job. This job was one of the top on my list so I accepted. About a week and a half later I was to ...

What is a great career for a person with a felony conviction and no degree?
I have a felony that is not aggravated, but I have trouble finding a career that pays well. I have 4 kids so I need a good paying job. So if anybody knows some one who has gone through this, or they ...

Is it legal for me to be suspendid by telephone?

Is it, when conducting a job interview, legal to ask if the person smokes?

Can a employer say this?
I attended an interview for a flexible part time(can say full time also) web developer job, and i realised the company was too small and the working environment was quite bad and i realised that the ...

What's your dream about your career?

Do employers have any legal obligation to reduce stress at work?
I've recently found myself in a situation at work which has made the job become unbearable for me. I've spoken with managers about returning to my previous post in admin but they've ...

Employer broke confidentiality about pregnancy!!! help?
i told my employer that i am pregnant, around 10 weeks, so that they could start to think about cover for antenatal appts etc and told them that i wanted it kept private because i'm not that far ...

I have a bachelor's degree in english with a double minor in film and philosophy. can't get a job anywhere!
I also have 12 years of working experience in many different fields and I am highly skilled with computers and the internet. I have worked every job under the sun and still cannot make more than $10 ...

Is it illegal to embellish your resume?
I'm not planning to totally LIE on my resume, but I'd like to beef it up a little. Maybe stretch out some dates of previous jobs, and add some language that makes my experience seem a ...

Is it legal for an employer to fire you on your day off?
I was hired by this company 4 weeks ago and I work 6 days a week @ 10-12 hours a day. My only day off is sundays. Today 1 of the shift managers called (I did not know it was work or I would have NOT ...

Harrassment from a previous employer?
I put in a 2 weeks notice at my job, my daughter was sick and put in the hospital, no one seemed to care to much about it except what my schedule was and if it would be a problem if I went to the ...

ontheroad30days
Can i get fired if i tell my employer that i have a drug addiction?\?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Matt Woodard
It really depends on the type of policy your employer may have on drugs/alcohol. You are covered from being discriminated against IF you have STOPPED using the drug/alcohol and are currently seeking treatment in most types of situations. Although, I live in Texas and may be different where you live

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

trblueyess
If you have insurance see if they cover rehab... they can't fire you while you are there or for it. You can take FMLA leave to keep the job, but that doesn't mean they won't keep an eagle on you when you get back...write you up for any and all infractions etc. Unless they really like you... who knows.

CARL76
Rating
It depends in what country you came from.Because in some country or companies they have a strict rules about drug abuse.And there is some that,as long as it didn't affect your job performance,they can still hire you,but with a watchful eyes of course.there is also some company that if they found out that their employee had a drug problem,they will ask them to check-in at a drug rehab until they sober up,so that they can still work into their company.

JustDeniece
Rating
It is up to ur employers and the kind of work you do how important you are nto the company but a friend of mine just came back to work.Having the same problem.They were having oneof those random drug tests and right before they told him he it was his turn he went to human resourses and told the boss that he knew he was not going to past this test and if they wanted to they could fire him now.The head of human resources asked him if he wanted to quit he said he did but could not afford the treatment so the company gave him the test he flunked and they paid for him to go away for 30 days now at any given moment they test him and he has been clean 1 year

Mindy M
Rating
It depends on what you do for a living and if it affects your work. Legally I don't believe they can fire you if you told them that you do drugs outside of work and are addicted, but if they can fire you randomly and without giving a cause (check out the contract you signed when you were employed) legally they can.

Francine M
Why would you want to take that chance? Do not volunteer anything that you are not asked,

Francine

Dimitar A
Rating
I think the situation is a little bit more complicated.
Most companies have policies against doing drugs.
If you admit that you did drugs that you admitted that you violated the company policies.
Usually the company policy is that you can be fired for violating company policies.
Chances are that you got fired because you violated company policy of not doing drugs.
Good Luck

Timothy B
Rating
I agree with the others that it is quite possible that they can, however review your employee handbook as many companies now actually offer assistance with treatment or at least their insurance carriers might. I'd read up on all policies before making a decision.

Lindsay G
Rating
If it becomes disrupt with your work progress and you don't get the help you need, yes they could fire you.

jessica
Depends - if you go to them to see if they have an Employee Assistance Program that can help you beat your addiction then you should be alright. Current drug users are not covered under the Title VIII revisions (Americans with Disabilities Act) but recovering ones are.

Dan
Rating
LOTS OF GRAY AREA HERE...

If you are an at-will employee, they might fire you and blame it on something else.

If you are doing drugs on the job, or if they are affecting your performance they will fire you for that.

If you are asking for help when you tell them about your addiction, and they fire you then, they are facing a lawsuit.

Drug addiction is a disease. Can you imagine being fired for having cancer?

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, August 28, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy