Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Can companies Levy an Admin charge for providing personal information under the Data Protection Act?
An solicitor has requested medical information on an ex-employee. Can the Company charge for the administration involved in collecting this information?. Is there a set fee for obtaining such ...

Boss wants me to quit?
About 2 years ago my wife and i thought we would look into migration to oz, to do this with all the stuff we had to produce i spoke to my boss and he was very helpful and gave myself a brilliant ...

My boss disclosed personal and private information about me at work. Is this legal?
Everyone on my team at my job (about 8 people) pretty much knows the entire contents of my personell file. She has also admitted to my co workers that she doesn't care for me and will do ...

Someone with legal knowledge please help me! State of Florida is screwing me!?
OK, so in April of 2007 my '94 Chrysler was stolen and recovered by the local police. They put it directly in a towing yard impound. I went to 'take' my car after the recovery and was ...

Legal Secretary/File Clerk?
I am going to law school in the Fall of 2008, and I was advised to get a job in a law office to build up my resume. Unfortunately all of the jobs I have found, paralegal, legal secretary etc, ...

What is a good career shift for a lawyer?

A lawyer for discreamation at work?
I want to found out what can be done about a situation that I have ...

How can employers know about past work done?
Ive worked at a place for 2 months and had perfect attendance, but i suddenly quit because of circumstances. i did not put in my two weeks notice and this boss has a grudge against me since hes the ...

Planning to move to another state,and appying a job,what if they call me for an interview?flying over there...
what if they dont hire? what is the best way?...

What is considered "good cause" to quit a job and receive unemployment?
I work for a major bank involved in the mortgage business. I am in a sales position paid by commission only (no salary, just a draw against comission each month). Our industry is in turmoil with W...

How much do lawyers make right out of law school on average?
I know it varies...I'm looking for an average....

What r some Job Satisfaction about being a lawyer????

When an employer does a criminal background check, are they able to see the details of the indictment?
I just applied for a job that I've been working temporary for about 6 months. I passed the drug screen however, I have a felony theft charge on my record. I didn't lie about the charge I ...

What are some good short term careers?
Hi I want to get a short term career and then go into my long term career. I want a short term career that pays good maybe around 15-20$ an hour or more but that is a year to 2 years long Ive been ...

Employment ethics and descrimination question important?
Your Open QuestionShow me another ยป
i re entered this qestion because the answers i got i appreciate but were more or less similar stories to mine. I wouls like some legal knowledge if at all ...

Redundancy is this legal?
can anyone help me, my sisters partners employer hasn't had any work for him in the last 4 weeks (he's a joiner) so he hasn't worked plus they haven't been paying him his wages ...

It looks like I flunked out of law school. Is it possible to go back to a different one in a couple of years?
I didn't really "flunk" per se, but my grades are lower than the required amount.

After I pay off my school loans, should I try again? I'll be in my late 30's by ...

How to know if you are equally paid?
How can you find out if your being paid adequately or a similar pay as your coworkers without asking them? I know unemployment keeps records of your incomes, so I assume other agencies have access ...

I am thinking of pursuing a Career in soft adult erotica and fetish?
I simply love the fantasy world or erotic art/ soft adult and fetishes (mainly on tall women and bbw women which I am). I would like to max and make the most possible I can to secure a solid future ...

Constructive dismissal - lawyers or compromise agreement offer?
My wife recently left her because of how her manager treated staff. In particular, she was made to feel guilty/undermined for being pregnant/having a baby - the boss actually told her he didnt ...

Brilliant
Can employers view your medical history?
Can they see what prescriptions, etc. that you've taken? Who can legally view your medical history? Where is the line drawn?

Show all answers
Post your answer

practicalwizard
Rating
Nobody can just spontaneously view your medical history. Even doctors who are treating you require you to sign a waiver, granting them access, to any medical records from other doctors. An employer might have you sign a waiver when they hire you, though. Are you sure you haven't signed one?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Curious
No! They have a law called the HIPAA Law. Unless you are going to the military or becoming a police officer, or any other institution under federal state laws. Remember, though, that HIPAA also has provisions for law enforcement and court authorities to gain access to your self-disclosed company medical documentation when sapeonaed.

kev
Rating
Not without a waiver, unless it's military.

Leo
Biomed guy,

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/index.html

http://www.hipaa.org/

HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) is the primary Federal Law that governs who and under what conditions people at your place of employment may review your medical history and records. The links above will provide exact details of the law, but generally speaking:

1) Only employees where you work who have a periodic, legitimate business need to access medical records may actually do so and have means to gain access (this excludes your supervisor and manager). For example, certain Human Resources personnel, due to their job descriptions and scope of decision making authority may have access.

2) But even those employees who, by virture of their positions in the Human Reources or Medical/Safety Departments, may have access to your records, they cannot do so casually. It has to be for a legitimate business reason brought about by particular circumstances, like you injuring yourself on the job or them needing to verifying a claim that you cannot perform a critical job function under the ADA due to a preexisting condition, like suffering from uncontrolled siezures since childhood.

3) Your employer may only, when essential, look at your self-disclosed medical history, doctor's notes, etc. that YOU have provided to the company when you were hired or at other times. In other words, they may never under any circumstances contact your primary physician and ask for a copy of your complete medical records and/or ask for specific details regarding recent treatments, perscriptions, or sample sample medications that you may have received.

4) Remember, though, that HIPAA also has provisions for law enforcement and court authorities to gain access to your self-disclosed company medical documentation when sapeonaed.

I hope this helps.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, July 24, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy