Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Employment law?
someone i know has been sacked from their job, after being there for just 3 months. he didnt have a signed contract. i know this guy and know that he blagged his way into job and then failed ...

Does anyone know?
i quit a job on the 9th of may and today im supposed to be paid for the week from the 3rd until the 9th of may and they have not paid me for work done, are they allowed to just not pay me because I ...

Is it true that it's illegal for an employer to make you work more than 8 hours a day?

Is it the law to pay vacation pay?
my friend just got fired from her job she has been at for two years-they gave her her final pay however she had 40 hours of vacation-do they have to pay her that?...

Can employers use security cameras to monitor your progress at work? if not, which law does this contravene?

Can they say what they want when they sack me?
I've recently been dismissed from my job for harassing someone I worked with whilst I was drunk, I've admitted it was unacceptable behavior and so was expecting to be dismissed.
D...

Fired from Work - legal or Illegal??
I worked in a family owned doctors office for 2yrs now (kansas). I have been given awards/raise for my hardwork and never any bad comments or write-ups. My bosses offspring joined us a few months ago ...

Is it legal for an employer to ask you if you have children when they're interviewing you?
I had an interview recently, and the manager asked me if I had any children or was planning on having any....

Warning: official or not?
A few weeks ago I have been given a warning by my manager. I didnt have a hearing, and they never told me it was official. I have read that if you get an official verbal warning you have to have a ...

Shifts at work cancelled with less than 24hrs notice. Is it legal?
I work in a cinema in the school holidays. My shifts have been cancelled due to it not being busy, but they have given me less than 24hrs notice. I tried calling a government helpline but its cloed ...

Can you become a lawyer with felony convictions on your record?
if a person is a convicted felon can they still get a degree and become a lawyer or an attorney?...

Is it ethical for an employer to control and suppress an employee's individuality and appearance on the job?

Is it legal for a 13 year old to start a company?
i have a friend, who was thinking of starting a company, but wasn't sure if it was legal or not. and he's 13. so im helping him out by finding out for him. so if it is legal or not, can you ...

Today my boss told me i cannot go into work because my hair has blue through it. Can he do this?
My hair is dark to start with, so the blue isn't like in ya face. And the blue is fairly dark, so when i tie my hair back, you can't see it THAT much (you can mostly only see it when it...

I have a question regarding my job?
I started with the company that I work for 2 1/2 years ago. When I got the position it was a newly created position. now the position has definitley more responsibility and duties than before. How do ...

My employer falsely accused me of steeling with out any detail?
my employer falsly accused me of steeling with out any detail. I lost my job and still do not know what is the actual accusation is about I have learned later that it is about taking money from their ...

Husband's ex "stalking" us?
we are in NC. husband has not spoken to this woman for over 3 1/2 years. (she is super psycho) about 7 months or so ago, she made an appointment at my salon for her daughter, and requested that i ...

I live in california, I was Fired, I have no write ups and I am not an "AT Will" employee.?
I was given no Reason. and I was not given my final pay check. My reviews were all good. the only reason for my termination was I did my job. but my boss did not like the fact that i fired her ...

Is it legal for your boss to fire you in this situation?
I only get paid once a month. My paycheck was spose to be here on the 4th and for 2 weeks I didn't get it. When I called my boss to confront him about it, he fired me because of the tone of ...

Is it legal for a company to restrict employement with a competitor?
Is it legal for a company to add a clause in a emploeeys contract to restrict him or her to work for any company that manufacture similar product. The company then go on and even restrict employement ...

cam
Can an employer tell you not to come to work?
Someone I know recently went part time working at a day care. On at least 4 occasions in the last 2 weeks she has been told at the last minute by her boss not to come into work due to a shortage of work. She is not paid for these absenses. Is this legal? I get the impression they are trying to provoke her into quitting.

Thank you.

Show all answers
Post your answer

PB2u
They are trying to get her to quit.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

jobbend
Rating
Employment law is different depending on the state/province/country the person is working in. If this is in the US, you can start your research at www.usa.gov, or go to the state agency that oversees wage and hour laws and ask what is legal based on the specific situation.

Also, if this is a "work at will" position (not covered by contract or union) then scheduling is at the discretion of the company and can be changed at any time. Given the facts you present, it would not be beneficial in this case for the company to continue to call the person off, but just let them go. It only creates frustration that can have a negative impact on the company, and is a unnecessary burden for the manager. My advice for this person would be to ask for a meeting to understand her employment status and value to the company - while at the same time looking for other work.

Kai K.O.W.
yes, they have the right even on last minutes! cause she is just a part time worker! cruel to say it but it is the fact!

like one of the answerer said, the company wants to fire her!

Wittle me
Rating
Hi there

Your friend needs to check his/her employment contract first. There is sometimes a clause that says if there is not enough work, the employee may be sent home without pay.

If there is no contract, I am not sure.

Try ringing the Citizens Advice Bureau.

Hope that helps :-)

L to the Ill's mommy
Rating
Yeah it's legal .. it happened to me i worked in a day care .. Its legal but i think it's VERY unfair when your out of work for the day .. when you have bills to pay as well
let me tell you something tho .. parents where seriously ticked off when they found out because .. they have to pay the weekly fee regardless of if there child is Sick , late, there's a Holiday or a snow day they pay ..

my boss the provider just got into trouble for not hiring enough staff one day someone was sick and another was in a car accident and she ended up with 9 kids alone and it was agents the law ..

. .
Of course it's legal. Why would you imagine otherwise?
The center has no obligation to be sure she has work to do nor any obligation to pay her just for being scheduled and not actually working.
If she has a contract to the contrary she has cause for action on THAT basis but it's certainly not illegal.
They're probably not trying to provoke her into quitting. In most places, your employer can fire you at will. They don't need a reason. Since she's part-time, unemployment is most-likely a non-issue, or very nearly so.

Kip
Yes you can tell an employee you don't have work for them and that they don't need to be in for the day. I do it all the time. If I don't have work for them, how can they work?

Sheila
Rating
Yes, she is at "at will" employee, not under contract or salaried.

Mr. S
Rating
Yes, it is perfectly legal. If an employer allows someone to work even though they may not have outside income, the company would be losing money. If the company cannot make money, they may be forced to close business, then everyone is out of a job.

jlovett72078
Rating
It is perfectly legal. You see the same thing happen in restaurants, and other service driven Industries. Especially for a "part-time" employee. If she enjoys the job, she should just do the best when the opportunity presents it's self, and look for opportunities to help out in ways beyond her "general" job description.

tetlitea
I don't think they are trying to get her to quit, she is an hourly employee and her hours are not guaranteed. If there is no work then there is no work and it would make no sense for them to have her come in if there is nothing to be done.

Squat1
Rating
Absolutely legal. You only get paid for work performed, there is not federal law that states you must get paid for non-work, this includes vacations, holidays, etc.

Alion
Yes,it's legal. Why would they provoke her into quitting if they don't want her?All they have to do is fire her.

michr
they are not trying to make her quit they are simply trying to control their labor cost.......
she is part-time for that reason...when they have work they have a job for her but when they don't have the need then hours must be cut. if she is the only person being cut and there are other part-time employees with the same seniority then she needs to discuss with the employer why she has been singled out.

just a side note:
if GM, Ford and Chrysler had been able to do this (can't due to contracts) they would not be in the shape they are today.....

yes I know labor cost are just one part of their problem but it is a huge part

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, October 31, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy