Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Paying Lawyer?
What happens if you do not pay your lawyer?...

Does This Sound Like I am Getting Screwed? Employment?
I have been informed that I am getting layed off however, the head boss keeps saying that I can stay an additional week. However he posted a note to all the employees that Friday today is my last day....

New Yorkers, Im from Jersey and want to apply for a legal assistant job at an upscale firm.What do I wear?
I worked at a corporate firm before, but gained weight, gave away all my suits and now I have just casual crappy, overused, business wear. I have been working for a smaller casual firm and sort of ...

Back ground check?
Can you do your own back ground check? and is it free?...

Im currently working as a temp, iv been working for the same company for 5 and a half months.?
yesterday they said that today would be my last day. under british law dont they need to give me at least a weeks notice, or because im a temp dont i get the same benifits in job security
A...

Petty Theft Record, ruining job opportunities, Advice?
The last job that I had, only lasted 6 months and I went into a job agency today that told me, I had to have at least 1 year of job experience with the same company (minimum) after the conviction, (...

Can a company work you seven days a week, even if your on salary in California?

What are the advantages of being a personal injury lawyer?
and of working in compensation claim company?...

Is this legal?
i work as a waitress and we begin any time between 6 and 7.30 and finish any time between 12 and 2am and we never get any breaks. one of the other waitresses told me this wasnt even legal..is she ...

Expungement and employment?
I have two misdemeanors on my record. One is a DUI for going through a checkpoint slowly and safely with a BAC of .109. The other is for breaking into a friend's house for a prank when I was 19...

Can new boss change my job description?
My new boss has written up a new job title and job responsibilities under my job code and wants me to sign off accepting the new job description. I'm not comfortable with the change. It's ...

21 days no days off?
my boss is trying to make me work 21 days, without taking a day off!.
They are saying that if any of us in the office refuse to do the overtime they will "replace" us!

I hate my job?
Have you had a job where it pays well, but you hate being there . You are working there because of the money. This is exactly my case, I hate being there, but I can't resign because I wouldn'...

Shoplifting?
i was caught shoplifting,,,should i just get a public deffender or a lawyer,,,charge for felony, stole over 600 and in ...

Law School help- I don't want to fail out!!!?
PLEASE- to all those who have been there and done that (or doing it) Aside from reading for class, practice exams, and study aids- what are some of the thing you did to help you improve your grades. ...

Do i have any legal recourse to debt collectors that don't understand that Brandy Woodall doesn't live here???
People keep calling my house asking for someone that doesn't live here, i tell them that and they keep persisting that i am brandy. I tell them that i am not and to remove the number from there ...

I have not been paid for 3 months is this legal?
I worked for a catering company (3 Citron) as an independent contractor for 3 months have have not been paid to date. How can i go about reporting this company and ensure that i get paid?...

Can I sue my employer for being fasley accuse of sexual harassment and it came out to be fasle?

Do i still qualify for unemployment if I was terminated from my job?
I was terminated from my job of 2 years, due to lack of performance. I am curious if i still qualify to apply for unemployment or not? I live in MD. PLease help!...

I'm 13 (14 in feb) and i want a job!!!!! in UK?
I am 13 (14 in Feb) , i already have a free paper round. But the pay isnt very good and it takes over my life. I'm thinking about getting a saturday job at a hairdressers (sweeping floors, ...

friskyfrog12901
Can an employer fire you for refusing to come in on your day off?
I am a salaried employee and my employer threatened to fire me if I didn't come in on my day off. He harrassed me and told me that I was salaried and he could work me as many hours as he needed to.
Additional Details
So what your telling me is, an employer can make you work 7 days a week and you can't do a thing about it?

Show all answers
Post your answer

McQueen~PrayingGod~CountingWeeks
Rating
he cant fire you for not coming in on your day off. But he might find some other lame reasons to fire you if he doesnt want you around and even if you are sincere.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

choiceav
Rating
No your day off is your day off next time don't pick up the phone.

If you have an HR office and ask them where you stand on being called in on your days off. And make sure you tell them the story, if you don't have a HR office you need to check with the labor board on this on.

Good luck.

maryann p
Rating
No ,but he can fire you for some other reason and say it has nothing to do with you not coming in. He can say you are not ding your job up to expectations.

Judy
Rating
Yes, assuming that you are in an at-will staqte and pretty much all states are, they can even fire for no reason.

The other issue though is overtime pay. Not all salried workers are exempt from getting overtime pay for hours over 40 in a week. There are specific requirements for you to not be paid overtime, even if you are salaried. It depends on what your job is, and how much you make a week. Many people, including many employers, think that if you are salaried you don't get overtime pay - that isn't correct, by federal law. If you are a manager, or a highly compensated professional, you might be exempt from the overtime laws.

Pengy
You are salary so yes you can be called in on your day off and can be fired for not showing up. Yes you need to work what is needed to get the job done, on the flip side you also get paid the same if you are sick

Jay L
if you are an at will employee, you can quit for any reason, or for no reason.

The employer can also fire you for any reason, or for no reason.

molly
Rating
It depends on a number of things - if you live in an "at will" employment State or not, if your employment contract &/or employee handbook speaks to call ins or not, the nature of why you were needed at work, and the nature of the work done by your employer.

If his request was reasonable and if it is typical for the entire company that employees are called in you probably do not have a leg to stand on.

End result really is that he is the boss.

JC
Rating
You are going to have to contact your states labor board. Laws vary state to state but it is not reasonable to assume that since you are a salaried employee that you would have to work 'as many hours as he needed to'. That is a misconception. In order to even be considered a salry employee as opposed to hourly, you would have to be in a specific position of management and perform actual managerial duties (hiring, firing, supervision, schedule writing, etc). If you do not perform any of those types of duties, you are supposed to be on hourly.
Anyway, aside from your states labor board, here is a link for federal standards.
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/fairpay/fs17g_salary.pdf

Good luck to you.

ADDITIONAL:
No. Read my second sentence. He is assuming that he can work you 24/7 if he wants and he is wrong.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, April 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy