Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Private Investigator?
What would be a good way for me to break into the business and start working as a private investigator? I know I need to get a license from my state, but what should I do beyond that and what can I ...

Is it legal for an employer to forbid men & women from riding together in the same vehicle?
I live in Texas and our boss has a "policy" that male and female employees cannot ride together to lunch or anywhere else in the same vehicle. Is that legal?...

What is the approx monthly/annual salary of "beginner" lawyers in Singapore?
Salary of lawyers in singapore who have just started as ...

Clocking in and out at work?
I recently got hired for a job where you clock in and out. When I first started the job a week ago they said I couldn't clock in yet because my user name wasn't ready. A week later I talked ...

Can an employer make you pay money. back is it legal in ohio ? i heard no?

60 and can't get hired?

If I was scheduled to return to work but now think I need more..?
time, do you need to ask for a different FMLA leave? I am released to go back in Aug. but they won't give me my schedule until I am back at work, the 6th. This is causing me to think there is ...

How is the computer world company for work? why they take employee passport?

ABH charge....would ANY COMPANY employ them..do you think?
I know some jobs, such as working with vulnerable people are out of the question...but are there any types of jobs that would employ someone who has been convicted of ABH?...

What is the legal age to get a job in the UK? And what jobs can you get for that minimum age?

Has anyone completed the Paralegal Associates Degree Program from SBBC?
I am currently in the process of enrollment for the online program. I am having second thoughts about the credibility of the school and my degree. Will any law firm take me seriously? I cannot ...

Industrial Relations help...Unfair Dismissal?
I am a casual employee, i have been at this company for 2 months. I haven't had any written warnings, and I had done my job Perfectly every night. My employer found out that I am looking for a ...

Only legal replies please
my friend is on disability but could not meet her means. her disability is a mental one therefore she can hide it from any employers.The problem is that the employers pay her less then social ...

Question Regarding Employee Rights
Hello,
Just quick question here.
I have been working at this place for about 2 months. The boss constantly changes the schedule. He has promised me 40 hours a week twice now and has changed ...

X casual employee in trouble. please HELP

I was employed for aprox. 7 days as casual. I rang up and quite over the phone, because I felt very uneasy about job and wasn't given enough instruction on the first and only shift I did. <...

What do you know about paralegals?
Anyone know any pros and cons to this profession?? I've always been interested in this career but i don't know very much about it...whats the pay like for a starting person...aslo it's ...

Where isnt chinese overtime legal

Do you know of any pro bono criminal appellate lawyer in manatee/sarasota county

Can an employer not pay you for vacation time you have accrued and taken?
I had accrued vacation time and now that I have taken it, my employer states they are not paying me for it. Can they do that?
Additional Details
that is the whole story...I have copies ...

Can you persue a career in the criminal justice field with a degree in child and youth worker social work?

Sharon B
Can I legally be forced to work 7 days straight?
My daughter works at a gas station. Her boss keeps scheduling her to work 7 days straight. Can she do this legally?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Francis D
Rating
yes if this is what was agreed upon prior to hiring. But, if she has not agreed to this prior to being hired, her boss cannot do this. And your daughter cannot lose her job if she only does the 40 hour week.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

AbsintheElf
Legally, workers must have at least ONE day off per week, unless you are a self-employed worker, in that case you work the days you please.
She couldn't have agreed to work every day in her contract, if she has, the contract is violating the law and her boss is under perfect conditions to be punished to the full extent of the law.
Your sister must fight for her rights as an employee.

Good luck.

Shane
Rating
I would LOVE for people to put the state and/or country where they are from when they blog here. NO. If you are in the U.S. you cannot be forced to work 7 days straight unless you have a day off the preceding week. The only person who had it partially right was "just a gurl and Absinthe." I have seen poster "Judy" blog a dozen times. Would love to know what she does, but certainly should not be blogging on legal. A few here really know there stuff. Mitch.. Catlaw.. and a few others.. but Judy really needs to get the heck out of the law & legal area....

Judy
Rating
Forced, no, she can quit. But can she be scheduled that way legally, yes she can, and if she isn't willing to work the hours she is scheduled for she can and likely will be fired. The only law is that if she works over 40 hours in a week, or in a few states works over 8 hours in a day, she must be paid overtime for it.

KnowSean
Rating
It would depend upon the total hours worked. Her age. The state you live in and how badly it was important to work there.

Almost anything you agree to is legal unless there is a specific law against it. But, I am NOT a lawyer.

Check the labor laws of your state for someone in her demographic.

ginsf
legally i don't know, however the answer is wrong, she can loose her job unless she has a contract of employment. If she has no contract, and I doubt she does in gas station, she can be terminated without cause for any reason. This is called being an at-will employee. However, if she is terminated without good cause she will be able to collect unemployment insurance benefits.

Doc Holiday
As I scanned through these answers many are wrong. Yes, it is legal to make some one work seven days a week. Many of the service industries do this and a gas station falls into that. Employees in many fields work every other weekend. Where I work we used to work for 13 days straight and have one satuday off- then we would work 14 days straight and have one week end off. I know there used to be a law that you had to have one sunday a month off. I had ajob one time where I worked 12 hour shifts every weekend. The one day I was told I had to take off one sunday a month and make that up during the wee.

just a gurl
depends on the state in which you live. i don't think there is any laws governing days off, as long as she is paid overtime for hours in excess of 40 per week (unless she is an exempt employee, which she probably isn't if she works in a gas station). go to the department of labor website and do some research.

leysarob
Rating
Absolutely. The law only mandates that hours worked in a week over 40 be paid overtime wages. In fact if she refuses to work the hours assigned, they can legally terminate her.

SM
Rating
I imagine it depends on the state in which you live. Assuming she is not a minor and does not have a contract that forbids that particular schedule, it could very well be legal. For example, I'm from New York and I know that the way the law is written, one day off must be given each calendar week. However, that could result in someone being scheduled to work up to 12 days in a row. This could happen if the employee has off on Sunday and works Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday one week, then the next week works Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, then has off Saturday. There are also nuances for the type of work done, the number of employees, etc. Try checking the Department of Labor website for your state.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy