Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

Legal advice please!! Urgent?
Earlier today I went to a boxing gym for a free trial class. I took the class and after I talked with one of the sales people about memberships. The sales man was about my age (22) and was an ...

Does Your Employer Have the Right to Know If You Are Fired From Your Previous Job?
I'm just saying if you have been previously fired from your job and if you apply for a new one, do you still get fired by your employer if your employer finds out that you have been fired once?<...

Can anyone help me with my impending Employment Tribunal?
I have a ET in the next couple of week. An sexual harassment case against my manager but he has now left and my legal rep thinks I don't have a case any more. I don't understand....

Is it legal for an employer to have one rule for one employee and a different set for everyone else?
My partner's employer told her today that if she is late or absent one more day (which is rare for my partner. Today was the first day she has missed in months and is hardly ever late) that she ...

WHEN YOU GET FIRED FROM YOU JOB DOES YOUR JOB HAVE TO SEND YOU YOUR TAX PAPERS WHEN IT IS TIME?

Can an employer fire you for refusing to come in on your day off?
I am a salaried employee and my employer threatened to fire me if I didn't come in on my day off. He harrassed me and told me that I was salaried and he could work me as many hours as he needed ...

What do you think about this situation?
Please do not be rude, and only serious answers.

So I started my job about two weeks ago. It is at a restaurant.
When I had my orientation, he went over the dress code with me.
H...

Do employers actually hire someone with an online degree?

Is it legal to bring a water pistol into the workplace?????

Is a NJ employer REQUIRED to give a pay increase every year?
I've worked at the same company in NJ for the past 6 years and we the last time we received a pay increase was 2004. Our employer has even stopped giving us our yearly review. I want to know ...

Law School Question...Help Please?
Okay So I am a senior right and I always planned on going into the criminal justice field but I want to change it to pre-law. So my question is do you take pre-law before you go into law school? Then ...

Where can i find legal advice for child custody?
my ex has a boyfriend that pulled a gun on her and my kids and she did not have him arrested and only after my youngest son told his school that he pulled a gun on her was anything done, c.p.s was ...

How does America expect a convicted felon to change his ways when he cant find a job what choice does he have.
I am talking about first time offenders. A person makes one mistake pays there debt to society. But is now a marked man. Alot of crimes are commited because of financial problems. Now if i cant find ...

Oh no - he wants me gone?
My manager is behaving toward me the same way he behaved toward two ex-colleagues,who left because of him.
I really don't want to leave my job - i've been there 10 years and don'...

Do lawyers get time off, say for going on a hunting trip or vacation and how often?
i want to be lawyer, but i need to know if id ever have time to do things like hunt or go on hunting ...

Im 17, can I work overnight?
What if I WANT to work overnight (11pm - 7am) and the employer's OK with that, can I still work overnight? Cause i dont know the employment law here. im a saskatoonian. (saskatoon)

Paying Lawyer?
What happens if you do not pay your lawyer?...

Does This Sound Like I am Getting Screwed? Employment?
I have been informed that I am getting layed off however, the head boss keeps saying that I can stay an additional week. However he posted a note to all the employees that Friday today is my last day....

New Yorkers, Im from Jersey and want to apply for a legal assistant job at an upscale firm.What do I wear?
I worked at a corporate firm before, but gained weight, gave away all my suits and now I have just casual crappy, overused, business wear. I have been working for a smaller casual firm and sort of ...

Back ground check?
Can you do your own back ground check? and is it free?...

The love of your life
Can I be forced to work more than 8 hours a day?
I work in healthcare. My company has recently added more work to our load and expect us to work more than our 8 hours a day. It was okay for the first few weeks but it seems like this will be trend from now on. Most of my days are now 10 or 11 hours long. Some people are even working 14 hour days. They do pay us time n a half after 40 hrs/ week
But do I have to stay past my 8 hours? Or can they fire me for that? I have had great perfomance reviews.
Ofcourse, I would not leave any patients unattended.

Show all answers
Post your answer

stan c
Rating
No employer can force you to work more than 8 hours a day unless you were told at time of hiring that over time is mandatory.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

cobots
you should request the guidlines for mandatory overtime, speak to the person that hired you.

versantly
this depends on what the contract for hours was at hiring -did it include 8 hr days only and make no mention of overtime. read your HR policies clearly. if you are unable to fulfill the committments of the job, seek employment in a setting that can accomodate your needs better.

Heather V
You can not be forced to do anything. You can refuse and they can legally fire you.

donfletcheryh
Rating
Slavery has been abolished. You work because you want a job and the benefits it confers.

If you stop wanting that job, you just say so and stop working completely, and accept the consequences.

But overtime as needed is a normal part of work life.

michr
yes they can make overtime mandatory as long as you are paid accordingly which you state you are.

in some states there are some limits on the number of hours certain health-care professionals may legally work in a day. check with your local office of the department of labor; wage and hour division for more information or edit the question with the state you are in and your job title.

beevenhouser
Unfortunately, yes, your employer could let you go if you were unable to work the involuntary overtime. As long as they provide you with the necessary breaks and compensation they can have you work any time they need you. I had a job once with a similar situation and they did give concessions to people who had medical issues that caused them to be unable to stay for extended hours; Or, extenuating family circumstances. I think most states are "at will" so you can be let go at any time and you can also quit at any time. Two ways to look at it...padded paychecks...or exhausted and time to hunt for a new job.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, April 25, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy