Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Legal Jobs
Legal Discussion Forum

What rights do I have?
I started a new position for the company I work for on October 1st 2008. Although I had already been working for the company for two years, I have now started a new position that is based at home, ...

Sacked, took to tribunal and won, now i'm desperate for a Reference, how do i go about it?
I was unfairly dismissed last year in october, after two years service.
I took my employer to a tribunal and won.
Since then, iv had a baby but now im ready to get back to work, possibly in ...

Do I have any legal recourse against my employer?
I've been considered an hourly/part-time employee with my Pennsylvania company since 2002. Anyone else who works more than 30 something hours per week is salary and full-time getting benefits. I...

Retaliation after harassment complaint.?
My husband complained that his service manager made an innappropriate comment that he must be having his period because he complained that he waited 2 1/2 hours for a gasket. The district made her ...

What's required to be a fireman?
do u need a hs diploma or can u just have a GED...

Is it possible to beat a possession of firearm charge?
I was charged with being in possession of a firearm, in the discovery phase of the trial so far the D.A. has stated the facts: No fingerprint on the gun. Also, the car that I was driving was not mine,...

Unions question about the IUOE?
where would i do best joining an operators union IOU.wv or ...

Was employed by a company in Slovakia and now the contract has ended and still not been paid my final wage?
was employed for 3 months to work for Air Slovakia and after the contract had ended we returned home and its now been 2 months and still no wages after numerous call and emails we are still no where ...

She finished Bachelor of Law. Guide her for Job.?
Hi,

This is my sister Aditya Lakshmi, 35 Years Old, finished B.L in Ambedkar Law University.
Right now, She is in the position to search Job like - Legal Advisor in an Esteemed O...

What is the implication of the privacy law in recruitment and selection of staff in any organization?

Is 41 too old to be thinking of starting a 4 year LLB (law) degree (in Scotland)?
It's something I'm really interested in, but always talked myself out of before as the children were small and I didn't have time as I was working.
Now I find myself in the ...

Hello My name is Sahar and i want to know about the suitable job for me in future.Who can help me to solve it?
I'm from Pakistan and belongs to a middle class family. And i am studding computer please someone segues me which is the best job for me in Future?...

Does being a environmental lawyer require a environmental sciences degree?
or just a law degree? i am interested in being one but i'm confused...
any help would be appreciated, ...

How can i become a lawyer?
Ok, well I am a pretty smart guy but i've done a lot of bad things.
i dropped outta school in the 10th grade, then received by GED
when i should have been in the 12th grade. I ended ...

Hosting a Rave - Legal Vulnerability ?
If i am planning to host a rave, at a private venue that i am renting out, and opening it to the public...Am I vulnerable to be sued if something happens like a fight, underage possession of alcohol ...

Being charged with felony while trying to join military?
Im 18, last week i got drunk at party got a ride home from people i didnt know they stoped at the end of a road and told me to check the cars on the street to see if they were unlocked so we could ...

Legal ramifications for no notice when leaving job?
Can I be sued if I quit after about a month with a company and give no notice? FYI It's the company's busy time of year......

Where can you get a job at age 14 in California?
Do not tell me I can't, because I can.
I'm not interested in lawn mowing, around the house work, babysitting, dog walking etc.
Most people say they can work at Magic Mountain. Is ...

How much does a first year Attorney Recruiter make?
Hi all!

This is my first question so be gentle;-) I am considering taking an attorney recruiter position with a legal staffing company and I was wondering if anyone had any idea what an &...

Why do you believe the bailout is good or bad, shouldn't people get the second chance also?
aig and paulson shifting the way it is used, how many need to suffer and loose their homes while a bailout is given, the big three and everyother company should fail and go into bankruptcy, before it ...

borrein
Alabama State Labor Law - Doctor's note/Medical Leave?
I work at a company known as West Customer Management Group LLC and they've suddenly decided to stop accepting doctor's notes to excuse employee absences. This doesn't matter if the employee was in a severe car accident and went into a coma for a week or not, no matter the case. The site manager states the reason as being, "We don't care why you're absent, if you have Paid Time Off or Unpaid Time Off in your scheduling system, you need to use it instead, otherwise it's unexcused."

Personally, I know Alabama is one of the many states that are supposed to follow the Right to Work laws, including Wal-Mart who is already trying to settle a Class Action Suit against this very same thing.

Question is, if I were to get fired for being hospitalized, where can I find more information on my rights? I've saved 2 copies of every doctor's note I've obtain for the past 2 years so I have all the notes from doctors and can also easily obtain any that I may have missing from the hospitals I've been to.

I'm also aware already that if I was to be fired for missing too much work when I've got doctor's notices to prove such absences should've been excused that I can collect unemployment from the company. I'll summarize my questions.

1). Where do I find the statutes for Right to Work Labor Laws?
2). If I'm fired from West Corporation due to hospital stays, can and should I press charges against the company?

Show all answers
Post your answer

blogger
I live in California and they must accept doctors excuses, it is against the labor law to not accept them. I did a web search for Alabama and found the site for you to contact someone about this.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

gypsyj1
There are a lot of facets to your question that can't fully be answered in this forum.

To make it simple, your employer has the right to terminate your employment if you are absent without benefit of leave. They are trying to run a business. As an employee you are expected to be there and work your schedule. Who fills in when you aren't there.

If you have exhausted all of your available vacation or sick time and still need to be out you will need to be on some type of leave of absence such as short term disability or long term disability. Most companies, including Walmart, will not keep you employed indefinitely and will terminate you after you have been on leave of absence for 365 days consecutively. There is a lot more to that but it wouldn't make sense to cite law here and I am not an attorney.

Right to work laws have to do with trade union representation and not your doctors notes.

Judy
Rating
Uh, right to work laws have to do with whether you can be forced to join a union, and have nothing to do with absences.

If you are eligible for federal FMLA leave, apply for it and your job will be somewhat protected if you are absent for reasons relating to what you have the leave for. But other than that, there is no requirement that a company just excuse absences if you have a doctor's excuse, or that they can't fire you for excessive absences in those circumstances.

You would very possibly still be eligible for unemployment if you are fired for excessive absences and can show that you were truly unable to be at work, since that probably wouldn't be considered to be misconduct. But that doesn't mean they can't fire you.

jgrey1goose
Rating
i'm not from alabama but you can start with your local job service or employment service.

not finding the answers you need there, check the state board of employment. or the alabama BARS association.

you can also check with your local aid to dependent families (welfare) office. or contact a laywer.

if you are fired, for that reason, it would not hurt to consult a laywer. the least they can do is tell you that you don't have a case.

michr
Rating
1. "right to work" laws are in relation to unions and allow non-union members to work in a union shop they have nothing to do with absenteeism. Alabama has been a "right to work" state since 1953
http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/state/righttowork.htm
http://www.alalabor.state.al.us/FAQ.htm#Right%20to%20Work%20Law

2. absenteeism and which absences are excused absences are a matter of company policy, an employer is NOT required to accept any excuse for an absence unless it is covered by FMLA and that includes California.
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/benefits-leave-FMLA.htm

3. unless you are covered by a contract you are employed "at-will" and as such you may quit or be fired for any reason or NO reason except those which are illegal such as discrimination.
http://www.alalabor.state.al.us/FAQ.htm#What%20is%20the%20minimum%20wage%20in%20Alabama

4. if you are fired you can file for unemployment and if the employer did not have "cause" to terminate you then you will qualify (if you meet all the other criteria).
http://dir.alabama.gov/uc/

SO to answer your questions:
1. http://www.alalabor.state.al.us/FAQ.htm#Right%20to%20Work%20Law
2. if you qualify for FMLA, the illness qualifies and if you properly requested leave under FMLA and were illegally denied the leave then YES otherwise NO
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/benefits-leave-FMLA.htm

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, September 20, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy