Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

I am outraged!!!!!?
that girl shannon matthewshas been found, her parents have just had a breif reunion, and now the police have kidnapped her! and taken her into 'protective costudy' and going to give her to ...

Why do people hate lawyers so much?

Can anyone help us name a group for anti smoking campaign?
we have created a group for our ICT project and we need help naming it, its to do with anti smoking
HELP US PLEASE!...

Do you still believe in AMERICA, the greatest NATION on Earth?
I know proverty.... I lived it.

From 16 on I lived in the back seat of a 1970 chevy nova, I never knew a Chritmas morning. I took showers in Hamilton county park camp grounds for .25 ...

I slipped on some ice at my parents house the gutters were clogged up and dripped water on steps. should i sue

Additional Details
I was advised by my parents to sue their insurance company. I missed 3 months of work behind it all and i got 5 screws and a plate on my ankle now....

Does anyone else fear the messages by talk radio hosts?
Flipping channels I came across Rush Limbaugh and couldn't believe what an idiot he is. a caller called in that didn't agree with him and Rush acted like he was so mad that he had to count ...

What precautions can i take to protect my property and money from my wife?
how can i keep from being responcable for my wifes dept. like credit cards, and stuff like that, i would never share a card with her, is this wrong. i dont want to be responcable for any thing but my ...

Question for people against abortion....?
Ok, I am against abortion but then again everyone always hears the question about if a girl get raped - then what? Does she keep the baby or have an abortion?

What do you think if you ...

Is it illegal to go against a students rights a beliefs making them stand for the pledge of allegiance?
During school my art teacher repeatedly yelled at me for not saying the pledge and not standing up and "paying my respects" i told her it's my right to sit if i wish, she then kicked ...

A question for white people...?
Do you think OJ did it?...

Can I do something legally to get my money back?
I met a young lady name Rita Donu from Accra City Ghana. We have been dating since August 2006. I sent money to her for a declaration fee so that she can fly to Atlanta, Ga. How can I check to see if ...

What rights do I have as a renter if I've lived somewhere for a week and saw a mouse?

Additional Details
Just FYI, this is not my first rental, I have roomates, and this place is not cheap....

Is marijuana seriously illegal in the United States?
I'm from France and it's completely legal and common. Over there it's just another thing. So I ask why is it Illegal???!...

Woman punched 5 times while being arrested?
was this amount of force necessary?...

I refuse to apologise for slavery - with all due respect to the ancestors of slaves, of course.?
I don't see why people like me, the average Joe, have to apologise for slavery. The rich and their descendents must apologise for it, not us. The working class suffered due to slavery as we ...

Is it attempted murder is someone spits on your?
me and my bf got into a argument cause he said spitting on someone is attempted murde. but he said its because the person dosnt know if u have aids or anykind of other germs/infections/std's, i ...

Is going to church considered community service?
There is this guy who started coming to my church out of the blue by himself. He is young, about 20. I'm attracted to him, but everyone in my family keeps joking around that he is only coming ...

Is it legal to be asked to show my ID at the cashier, when the preceding person wasn't ?
I'm sometimes asked to show my ID at checkout. I look 26-30 years old and do not buy any alcohol. I have observed the cashier does not ask ID to the people ahead of me. I have wondered if it is ...

How are gangs bad in california?
name 3 tops reasons you think they pose a threat.
why?

help please this if for my english final
Additional Details
im aginst them
its a persuasion speech

WILL GETTING PREGNANT STOP A POSSIBLE JAIL sentence?
I was charged with a felony (domestic assault..I pled guilty) and have an upcoming sentencing hearing next week for probation violation but am pregnant. Will that deter the judge from putting me in ...

James 007
Is it legal for your employer to ask for a COPY of your social security card?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Cherie P
Rating
No not any more. A landlord can't ask either. The bank can but, that's all!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

FaeryWatcher
Rating
NO NO NO NO,NO NO NO....it is not legal. Your employer cannot copy it>>>it's very ILLEGAL, just like copying money. You don't even have to take it out of your wallet. Keep it behind one of those clear plastic windows to show it to them & hand them your Driver's License (photo ID) & NEVER carry your SSN in your wallet...Keep it at home (& let your boss know you brought it in just for him to see. but tell him you are aware it's not legal to copy it)...and destroy anything in your wallet that has your SSN on it.

Umber Khan
yes, it is. as long as it's a copy. i'm guessing you don't have a driver's license yet, am i right? if not, you don't have a name quite yet. a social security card is imperative to making sure you're a legal citizen of the united states. :)

alaskamusher2
Yes.

Drixnot
yes

what's the big deal, they HAVE to have it for tax purposes, and having a copy of the card itself.... well that's just a dressed up record of your name and your number.

but if you are asking that you bring them a copy and not the original that they then copy..... I'm not sure.

Every job I've ever had required that I bring the actual card in that they looked at, copied and then returned my original.

Livin' La Vida Gay
Rating
Totally safe, just ask him what for?

oldwolf1951
Yes. Sometimes It is a requirement of the employer's customer for your employer to have proof. This especially if your employer is a defense contractor or does any kind of work for the government.
Also your employer's customer may have proprietary information that he wishes your employer and your co-workers to keep their mouths shut about. At least for the time being This doesn't mean the work is illegal just that the information belongs to the customer.

Richard G
...Yes!!

roridun
Rating
Yes. Employers have the right to ask for a copy or even to see the original social security card.

RedDogSD
If you do not like it, you can provide a copy of your Passport. If you do not have a passport, then, you have to provide your Social Security card.

jerry r
Rating
if your employer has seen your card and now knows your number, why would they need a copy. i know that medical institutions take your soc sec card, your medicare card, and your supplement insurance card and copy them before they return them to you.

Glinda W
Rating
Absolutely.

jackson
If you look at the I-9 form you will see that a US issued ID and a US birth certificate can be enough. You just tell them your Social Security number. But many employers are not used to complying with the law so will ask to see a Social Security card. Many are realizing that this is becoming a really big deal so they are asking (perfectly legal) to see a card and make a copy.

Even if one is perfectly legal the whole idea can seem a bit uncomfortable in this day and age. But you have to provide the number and let them make copies if they want.

The only real way to handle this and be protected is to have a passport. That by itself and alone fufills every requirement. Then you just tell them your social security. If that is not accepted then you can take issue.

Jeffrey F
Your Tax ID must be on file with your employer.

They have the legal right to have a facsimile of your original card on file.

nana4dakids
Yes it is.

mr doodles
Rating
YES BUT JUST THINK IN AMERICA YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REFUSE TO SHOW IT. MR DOODLES

wiifan117
Rating
LOL, yes. They are actually required to by law. THE I-9 is a required identification verification form, and one of the ID forms is a Social Security Card.

suqualena1
Rating
yep yes. it is not illegal to copy, its the same as copying your birth certificate. the copy is just not considered a "legal document". the copy cant be presented to get a drivers licenses for instance.but this does not make it illegal to make a exact photocopy of. i don't have to call the SS office for the answer because i am a lawyer for the state. as for as having the right to refuse to show it, they have the right to not hire you if you refuse to have the proper reqirements.

John C
Rating
Yes, employers can now get sued if they hire illegal immigrants, They are just protecting themselves.

missmaggie
yes;
its not uncommon....

not only do you provide your number to apply, but sometimes, yes, they ask for a copy of it for either their own documentation, or to send it over to the main corporation.

65% water
Rating
Yes. Usually they make copies of your ss card and driver's license when you are employed.

Joel R
Rating
Yes.

raichasays
Rating
From the official instructions for form I-9, verifying new employees eligibility for work:

Employers must record:

Section 1, Employee: This part of the form must be completed at the time of hire, which is the actual beginning of employment. Providing the Social Security number is voluntary, except for employees hired by employers participating in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). The employer is responsible for ensuring that Section 1 is timely and properly completed.

1. Document title;
2. Issuing authority;
3. Document number;
4. Expiration date, if any; and
5. The date employment begins.

Employers must sign and date the certification. Employees must present original documents. Employers may, but are not required to, photocopy the document(s) presented. These photocopies may only be used for the verification process and must be retained with the Form I-9.

So, your boss may ask to see your original social security card and can make a copy for your employment file if they want to.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.134
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, August 22, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy