Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Why do we give christopher columbus so much credit?
what did christopher columbus do that was so amazing? oh, he discovered America but how can you discover something where there has already been people living there. i think there's no school on ...

Should Marijuana Be legal?

The Smoking Ban - Your Thought?
So the smoking ban came into effect in Wales a couple of days ago, what are your thought on the ban in general and how is it going in Wales so far?...

Do you believe in the death penalty?
I'm not sure. My thing is, yes some people sould die for what they did, (they have all though out history) but do we as humans have the right to take away life? I don't think so....

Should the US pass a law requiring immigrants to learn English?
If we go to mexico, we are required to know spanish. If we go to Japan, we are required to know japanese. If you go to a government building in these countries, it's only the native language. ...

Company forces me to use my own phone for work purposes!?
The company I work for does not issue company phones. I am a delivery driver and when the customer is not available at the point of delivery my company expects me to ring the customer using my own ...

If marijuana were to be legalized, would you use it?
Why / Why Not??...

What is the name of the hammer-thing a judge slams at court?
In a court case, what is the name of that thing the judge slams when he decides the case or just wants everyone to shut up?...

How can abortions be given to teen girls withOUT parental consent?
Recently, in California, a proposition was placed on the ballots to "notify parents if a teen girl was seeking an abortion at a doctor's office." I was floored by this!! I assumed this ...

My son, age 20, has been jailed 2 times this year. Burgulary & drugs yesterday. I say leave him in?

Saddam's execution. Was is done right ?

I was stupid and shoplifted. Do I have to pay?
Unfortunately a couple months ago I shoplifted once or twice with friends, and got caught.
It was very stupid and I'm not going to again, so I don't need any lectures.
However F...

What rights do I have in entering someone elses property to retrieve something that is legally mine?

PLEASE ANSWER! Does this sound right? PLEASE!!!!!!?
A 60 year old man who is faculty at my college has been hitting on me and I finally got the nerve to tell staff (I am 25 btw)

He has been calling me about once a week, asked me to lunch, ...

Is it right for Christians to legislate biblical morality for a nation?

Additional Details
Officials who vote for homosexual rights do so because that position is consistent with their own morality. Their vote imposes their conception of morality on ...

Why are so many people against ID cards?
surely if you are a law abiding citizen it can only be a good thing?...

Do marijuana smokers belong in society?
I don't think they should. They are too dangerous and mentally unfit to belong in our society. Everyday, the population of non-stoners deteriorates because stoners are practically holding people ...

What would you do if a trusted adult gave your teen marijuana and alcohol?
You trust this family and they take their kid, your kid and someone elses kid on vacation and they give them pot and serve them alcohol. What would you do?
Additional Details
Have known ...

Madeleine on my Tesco Receipt!!!?
Got our tesco order today. Madeleine was advertised on a banner at the foot of the receipt. I've never seen anything like this from Tesco before.

I think this is absolutely insane. I ...

Palin opposes abortion in the case of rape. So...?
if you are a woman, and you are raped by a drooling mongoloid, you are somehow morally obligated to carry the mongoloid's baby to full term, and then to love and nurture it?
Additional D...

shavon m
If u get summons to go to court do u have to go!!?
i got summons to go to court, i don't want to go if i don't have to but what will happen to me if i don't go!! i am just a witness for the case!!!
Additional Details
okay i am the plaintiff in the case and it is a domestic battery case, they have all the pics and everything already but the guy is taking it to a jury trial and said he didn't do anything, the state picked up the case and i got summons to appear just in case they need me to testify, i just don't want to they have everything

Show all answers
Post your answer

Tara B
Rating
I think you do but if its a matter of not feeling safe or something i think there are ways out of it you should call up to the court and ask. It cant hurt.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

alwayson
You be held in contempt.You will pay a killer fine and maybe even go to jail.Try it and you'll see first hand.

HumanToe
Rating
YES
It's illegal to stand up Uncle Sam.

Faith
Rating
Im pretty sure you have to, unless you are physically unable to go.*

Jennifer
Go to court, or go to jail? Hmmmmm.... Let me think about it and get back to you.

Numb Nuts
you can stay home and hope they dont arrest you...you have a summons...its a legal document you must honor it...

marieglowaski
Rating
Iwould go and do what you have to it is always best in the long run.

kaimar24
Rating
Yes. The summons is a legally binding order requiring you to attend court.

Sarah
Rating
Yes, you do need to go, otherwise, you could be subpoenaed to testify. If you still refuse after being subpoenaed, you could get jail time.

VJ
Man.. a witness =/.. your gonna have to go.

I thought you meant Jury Duty.. THATS another story xD

Damocles
Rating
Failure to appear in court when you have been summonsed is considered to be 'contempt of court' and can get you a visit to your local jail. Frankly, you can end up staying in jail for as long as the judge decides to keep you. Having said that, it's usually a day by day basis. After your first day, they ask you if you are willing to testify in court now, and if you say "no", you stay for another day, and then they ask you if you are ready to come to court now, etc. until you say "yes".

Lying in court is "perjury" which can get you years in jail. So don't think about coming to court and lying.

Frankly, you have have any fear about your testimony netting you some retribution, talk to the prosecutor about it.

usmc1050
Rating
If your just a witness, you don't HAVE to go, but many times the law will continue to summons you as long as they know you have somthing they need, its a technicality, you don't have to go, but they can force you to go. do you really want to be a kink in the justice chain? I would go, cus if you get Subpena in the mail, than you have to go, so if you don't go, then they court will issue you with a Subpeana.

Real Kelly Bundy
never ever mess with the law....... no matter who says its ok.

gator
Yes, you are bound by a judge. If you don't show, an arrest warrant will be issued in your name.

Jake
Yes, otherwise you could be jailed for contempt. Go.

They can't force you to testify, but they can require that you show up.

Sandhya
i don't think you have to, but you should call the court or whatever number there is on your notice to see for sure whether or not you have to be present.

My Thoughts U Can't Decode
Is it a supeona? If you don't go you could be arrested.

If you are the defendant and don't go, you will lose by default.

Joseph Hyde&Future Mrs. Hyde
yes you do. if you dont you could be in serious trouble

jax
Yes you should go unless you have a valid reason and even then you could face a fine or even jail as you could be in contempt of court.

Talk to a solicitor to clairfy your rights and to cover yourself.

Cassiopeia Moonstone
Someone asked the same question here:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080724192757AAqRwHx

Apparently, you only have to go if you are subpoenaed.

laughter_every_day
It is says you are ordered by the court to appear, then refusal of court order is punishable as contempt of court. If you got a weird one that says you are invited to appear, feel free to decline.

BusyOldBag
Rating
Yes, or you can wait and be arrested.

lbloom
Rating
you will get a bench warrant out for your arrest

Xtina
Rating
you have to go. its not optional. unless you get immunity, you have to go.

jjseifi
Rating
You will go to jail if you don't.

Brian B
Rating
Why would they summon you if you didn't have to go? That's the whole point of a "summons"

That Guy
yes you do

jnbcw
Rating
Yes.

Failing to show is against the law.

Lil' E.
Rating
yes, that is the concept of a summons, the court wants you there. not going will have its consequences, not sure for your situation.

Jay
You can be found in contempt of court and jailed until it is time for you to testify. (Perhaps longer.) The judge will be extremely unhappy with you and can even saddle you with a fine in addition to jail time.

It would be beneficial to your comfort and freedom to honor the summons.

CowboySnoopy
Rating
First off what did you witness. Depending on the crime you do have to attend. Other than that if it's for nothing too serious you don't have to show up. The state will always pick up the case. They won't go straight to jury trial, if you go it will be weeks before you see a jury. You'll talk to the DA and the defense attorney at the pre-trial/hearing. Then after all that they will the schedule the jury parts. Even with the pictures if there is no witness; beside the defendant and only their word, it will be dismissed. The police can only say what happened when they showed up. There is no evidence of who started what and if the defendant was only defending themselve. I know plenty of people that has happened to. About 2 years ago I got arrested for a fight and the other girl never showed up for court and the case was dismissed because the DA couldn't produce a victim or witness. They had pictures also. You could always just tell the DA you don't want to. They can not hold you in jail because you refuse to testify. If all else plead the fifth.

Since you said it was only a summons you don't have to show up. You got that in the mail, right? If a guy shows up with a subpoena that you have to sign for then you do have to. I've never known anyone that ever got arrested or fined for not going. That's how it works here in Wisconsin. It's not like it's a murder case.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, November 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy