Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Does anyone else think this is ridiculous?
I stood behind a young couple in the supermarket today, who spent £67.34 and proceeded to pay with a bag of change. The checkout lady had to call someone over to confirm this was OK, because '...

Is yelling bomb on an airplane illegal if there is no bomb?

Additional Details
my fiance and i got into a discussion of freedom of speech and we weren't sure of the answer which is why i asked....

Do u think marijuana should be legalized?
Honestly whats the big deal??...

Isn't it time the Americans changed the gun law?
Another blood ...

Legalization of marijuana, do you agree?
I agree; its proven to relieve medical pain, the government could tax, it would send the people who belong in prison to prison instead of people who smoke marijuana.

Theres worse things ...

Should marijuanna be legalized?

NO call, No show in the workplace!?
I was having a issue with my job and instructed not to return to work until the owner speak with me. i did go to an initial meeting and then told to write a proposal of how i will change my self and ...

Is it acceptable at Wal-Mart?
Keeping in mind your morals and ethical views as well as criticisms against Wal-Mart, do you, as a consumer find it ok to shop at there? Why or why not?

[I am trying to answer this ...

Should drug dealers be hanged?
Many people agree that murders and peados should swing, but should those drug dealers who corrode our way of life by preying on the stupid, also be shown no mercy?
Additional Details
W...

Why do Liberals always support abortion and gay marriage until their sister is pregnant or their son is gay?
I mean, its always "the mother has the choice". Or "THey love each other, so why not" until somebody close to them falls into this dilemna. WHy?...

Abortion question, help me...?
after years of being a huge liberal pro-choicer, I find myself becoming a moderate... pro-lifer (that is so wierd to type...)

but anyway, I find myself very on the fence about the issue of ...

Should George Bush be prosecuted and imprisoned of forfeit his property and be deported?

When i visit my boyfriend in prison,could i sit next to him or in front of him?
my boyfriend is in prison.his been there for 3 days and i haven't visited him yet but i really want to. he is in a prison with dorms.Is that Federal or a State prison.But where do the visitors ...

Is the current drinking age discrimination and a violation of rights?
If an adult individual (over 18 years old but under 21) is prevented from enjoying the liberties exercised by all other adults in this country, wouldn't that be age discrimination?
I know ...

Is it illegal to do this?
Is it illegal to hit someone even though they were the ones being disruptive, racist, and provocative?...

Screaming baby upstairs,what are my rights?
the little bugger keeps waking me up at 3am and the noise in the day is driving me insane,even ear plugs dont block it out
Additional Details
not my baby and offering understanding? i ...

This question is for americans who are proud of their country...?
how can the present state of affairs, vis-avis your country's relationships with most of nations on earth, be okay with you guys.what happened to the ideals behind the Declaration of I...

What should you do if you feel you have been wrongly dismissed from work?

Additional Details
By the way - this is for my Business Studies course - im not in employment as im only 14...

Anyone else concerned that all the alleged terrorist in latest threat are British born?
Have we've been too liberal and soft, and is it time to stand up to fundimentalism and show zero tolerance?...

Are the police allowed to walk in your home unannounced?

Additional Details
it has happened to someone i know,they were not in the house at the time....

Neo
If the bible says you should follow the laws of the land then how can you contest gay marriage?
Please read my reasoning before posting an answer.

In the bible it says a man and woman who commit adultery should be stoned to death.
However it also says "Thou shalt not kill/murder".

There is a passage that states that you must follow the laws of the land, which is how people justify this killing of others.

In the bible it states that lying with another man is "an abomination to God", something I don't agree with, but that's for another time.
Using this passage, Christians see it unfair to allow Gay marriage, but what about the laws of the land clause?

Yes, you may say it is still "an abomination to God", however were the ten (actually more like fifteen) commandments not the word of God himself? If the laws of the land can overrule the word of God then how can you justify ignoring them for a mere abomination?

Using reason, and only the words used in the Bible, I have concluded (at least in my own mind) that Christians and Christianity as a whole should not protest against gay marriage.

Thanks for reading to those who did, and happy posting.
Additional Details
I would like to let you know that I am not shallow enough to pick a best answer based on whether I agree with it or not.

Show all answers
Post your answer

†m&&m†
Rating
did your daddy touch you when you were little?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

MOFITO
Rating
veryyy good very correct

Cool P
Rating
NO GAY PEOPLE SHOULD BE MARRIED
___d88888888b_____d888888b
__d88?____d88b___d88b____`88b
_d8?_________d888b_________`8b
_8b_________________________d8
_b8__________________d8888b___d888b
__d8________________d8?__d8b_d8b__`8b
___8ba_____________d8?_____d8b_____`8b
____`8da___________8b_______________d8
______`Y8b__________d8_____________8b
________`8b__________8ba_________ad8
__________`88_____88__`8da_____ab8?
____________8b___d8_____`Y8___8Y?
_____________`b_d?________`8_8?
______________`8?__________`8?
___d88888888b_____d888888b
__d88?____d88b___d88b____`88b
_d8?_________d888b_________`8b
_8b_________________________d8
_b8__________________d8888b___d888b
__d8________________d8?__d8b_d8b__`8b
___8ba_____________d8?_____d8b_____`8b
____`8da___________8b_______________d8
______`Y8b__________d8_____________8b
________`8b__________8ba_________ad8
__________`88_____88__`8da_____ab8?
____________8b___d8_____`Y8___8Y?
_____________`b_d?________`8_8?
______________`8?__________`8?

JamesBond
Rating
What says you should follow the bible?

ddeexxxxtteerr
Rating
Just stop...you cant win against "the machine"
just wait, they will eventually die off.

brezzy_is_love1234
lol ah ha ur all lame

Annalise M
Rating
i think that christians should mind their own f***ing business

physcochik2477
The bible is a huge contradiction of itself, it was probably just written to see how many people would follow along with it, despite it not making any sense whatsoever.

GratefulDad
Hypocrisy validated, score one for the pagans !

peanut
the bible is just BS

sgoldperson
Rating
You need to learn the difference between MURDER and killing. There are justifiable killings. Anyway just because some use the Courts to get the laws they want(California is trying to go against what the Voters wanted) doesn't mean everyone else has to support them. To be against Same-Sex Marriage ISN'T violating the laws of the land. It is fine using the same laws that allow us to write to our Congressman and get laws of the land to out-law something that people feel is wrong.

Claire H
First, mad props to creating a rationale argument and playing on the "playing field" (aka, using the Bible) of a Christian even if you are or are not one. I can see some Christians against gay marriage blowing up at you just for seeking an understanding through rational discussion and then they not even practicing the fruit of the spirit of "patience," "peace," "self-control," or "kindness" (Galatians 5:22, Proverbs 19:11). God commends those that use their brain and tests what others say in His name (to name a few, [using your brain] Proverbs 10:14, 1 Corinthians 14:19-20; [testing what others say] 1 Thessalonians 5:22, 1 John 4:1) , so if a Christian does attack you on here for your thought process, they are the ones not following the Bible, not you.

To start off, there are many reasons that adulterers are not stoned to death, not just "thou shalt not murder." Jesus demonstrated that the old law, which included stoning adulterers to death, is dead. He best demonstrated this when a woman was caught as an adulterer and he responded in this fashion: "But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."" He was stating that the old law did not exist to decimate the entire race (as we have ALL sinned at one point, and so we then would have to kill one another), but to show us humans that we are completely incapable of following the rules on our own merit. That's where he comes in...he alone lived without sin, and died an innocent death, fulfilling the end-all-be-all blood sacrifice that because it was so pure and self-sacrificial, negated our own sins. All we have to do is accept Him and seek (though, of course, we will fail. It's a matter of heart at this point 1 Samuel 16:7) to live a life pleasing to Him (aka, trying to follow what God outlines in the Bible as good and right) to live an eternal life with him.

Anyway, woo, what a large amount of theological discussion you have generated! Also, as for following the "laws of the land," I assume you are referring to Romans 13:1-7. However, as with almost anything, there are exceptions to every rule. Here is a webpage that I think sums up what I am about to say well: http://www.gotquestions.org/laws-land.html. Also, I would add Jesus's words, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's" (Matthew 22:21) Therefore, obeying the laws of the land don't "trump" God's commands. God's commands remain number one priority.

(If you are thinking here that still, why then can we kill people? The best answer I could find without continuing this wretchedly long book I'm writing is here: http://www.tenth.org/qbox/qb_000702.htm. I didn't read it all, but it seems in the ballpark of where I was going.)

Ok, so now into gay relationships. I know this isn't in your question, but I think it is useful to address. The way I interpret the Bible is that being gay isn't wrong in God's eyes. ACTING and LUSTING on gay attraction is. If you look up any verse condemning homosexuality or sexuality in general outside of contexts God wants for us, it addresses only actions and lustful thoughts, never being "wired a certain way" that most of us can't help. In the end, it doesn't matter if someone is born gay or not (as most debate), because if they are born "gay" it is original sin which we all have, or, if they "develop" homosexuality, then it is merely sin again. God is clear on how he feels about homosexual acts.

I know you disagree with that, and I understand. I have many gay friends and I hate that God hates it. However, it is key to remember that God does not hate gay people. He hates the actions of gay relations like any other sin any other person would do.

Yes, following that logic, gay actions aren't any different than any other sin (James 2:10). However, repeating gay actions makes the situation more difficult in the sense that there is no repentance, but rather acceptance of the actions God does not intend for us as human beings. But whether or not it is repeated, Christians are called to "Love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39), which Jesus states is the second most important commandment next to "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind'" (Matthew 22:37). And, of course, neighbors can be gay :)

As for gay marriage, the best way I can explain any Christian protest is in this:

Pretend you are a Christian who believes that gay relations is immoral. Could you vote against your conscience to allow it to happen? Would letting others do whatever they want within their rights trump God's commandments for what He intends on the earth? Can you hold others accountable to God's standard or must you let whatever happen and vote the "okay"?

It's a sticky situation. Many Christians war with themselves on what to do with the issue.

WhoaChelsie
Rating
Pff the Christians that are against gay marriage just like shoving their beliefs down other people's throats.

atticusanderson
Rating
I am a Christian and i think we are a bunch of crazy hypocrites. Half of us don't even know what we're talking about and the other half is just made up of people who have pointless arguments. Point it, don't listen to christians unless they tell you they know their religion is crazy. Otherwise you'll get their opinion on god rather than their beliefs.

rchl4454
Rating
The bible says that when a human sacrifices an INNOCENT humans life, then they shall be killed. That is the way it should be.

And as for the gay marriage,
the bible says those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or PRACTICE HOMOSEXUALITY....etc...will not inherit the Kingdom of God...! Corinthinans 6:9

it's in the bible, and it is wrong.

Dana B
I totally agree - Christians should realize there is a distinction between the laws of a secular government which apply equally to citizens of all religious beliefs, and the moral principles which their faith requires them to live their individual lives by. Laws should not be based on the beliefs of any one religious group; they should be based on what is best for society with the goal of maintaining as much freedom for citizens as possible. A Christian may not agree with something, but that does not give them the right to believe that the government should make it illegal for anyone to do that thing, and Christians should respect and abide by the secular laws even if the law makes something legal which they personally disapprove of and refrain from doing.

jenna
Yes, it says that if you commit adultery you should be stoned to death. That was only a law in the Bible times. However God also says that you should follow God in the end, and sometimes Christians will have to break the rules and not follow the law, if that means staying true to God. So although it says we should follow the laws of the land, in the end we should follow God. Lots of rules and laws in the Bible are antiquated and do not apply any longer in today's society. Things in the Bible cannot be taken out of contex. If you just take different parts from different books and combine them, they won't make sense together. I

.:i!i!i!Karla!i!i!::.
Rating
Are You Gay?

ARE u cHristian??

if u were and had Jesus love and the holy spirt in you you wouldnt be asking your self these questions

God Loves u

ab.jarvis
Rating
...what are you talking about?? you said it right there. 1.) its an abomination to God. and 2.) obey the laws of your land...Gay Marriage is still illegal most places...thats why its protested. You answered your question in your own explanation

Lurch
Civil Unions that grant full legal marriage rights are a perfect compromise. I think compromising is one thing this nation no longer knows how to do.

thinkingtime
The Bible is not the law of any land.

Lela A
Rating
Being 'gay' is not breaking any laws

justagorilla
Rating
yes...just one more of many contradictions...

Teekno
Well, in most parts of the US, it's illegal for gays to marry. So, well, there's that argument out the window.

Ken B
The Bible also says "Judge not, lest ye be judged", as a general rule I leave the judgment for someones actions up to God.

Onyx
I always hate "questions" like this. As much as I support your ideals, it's fairly clear that when it comes down to choosing the best answer, you will choose the one with which you most agree.

Having said that, I will risk the thumbs down and criticism to make my own feelings known. First of all, your reasoning is flawed. Using a religious text as your basis for an argument is a tact destined to failure. Mythology should never be the basis for secular life.

I would suspect that you're anti-theistic, otherwise I doubt you'd want to explore the various contradictions in religious dogma. These contradictions aren't limited to Christianity, but since it is the prevalent religion in this country, it seems to be in the spotlight and it does address your original question most readily.

Playing devil's advocate here (I know, ironic, but I use the term colloquially) it seems that you don't have enough of a mastery of the Bible to be making any kind of conclusions. Truth to tell, I think a priest, pastor, reverend, etc. might have a better argument against you. I was raised Catholic, now consider myself and Atheist and can only respond based upon that.

Personally, I think organized religion in general is all hocus-pocus and people have every right to love whomever they wish, but your original question asked for a biblical reference and I'm sorry, based on the Bible, homosexuality is still considered a sin.

RetroRanch
The law of the land also provides for petitioning the government for redress, including urging changes in law.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.074
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, December 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy