Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Chase charging $10 maintenace fee ILLEGAL?
I have 5 accounts with chase and they are charging $10 a month per account PER month.. which totals $600 a year for me... This was NOT on the agreement when I signed..
IS THIS LEGAL???...

My friend smokes weed and keeps some in his car, if we get pulled over and they find it do I get in trouble?
I dont do any of that **** and im trying to get him to stop, but in the mean time i want to know if i'll get in trouble with the law if we do get pulled over even though im just a passenger. ...

Can a local authority access and DEBIT your bank account for service charge arrears, without my permission?

How far is far enough for pro-choice advocates?
A great many people in this great nation of ours believe that a woman's right to choose comes before that of preserving human life. I just wanted to know where do you draw the line? At what ...

Keep quiet or speak out? - Drugs at work!?
There is a senior manager at work who i know is supplying illegal substances to a trainee manager at work? In my private life I would not really have an issue with it, but because it is at work I ...

My brother died, left no will, no children, only a little money in the bank. How can family get it?
There is so little money, that it's not worth hiring a lawyer. We don't even know where to start. His death was unexpected, and there is no one named on his account....

Not receiving a 10 min break at work.?
I work at a restaurant and we do not receive 10 minute breaks in the middle of a 4 hour shift. I recently went on the labor board of california website and ound out that we are to receive 1 hour ...

Is it legal to show a sex-ed film in class without a parents permission?

What do you think should be introduced to reduce crime?
Zero Tolerance or three strikes and your in prison for life?...

Do any wealthy individuals ever feel guilty knowing the amounts of poor and homeless that coexist with them?
I often wonder how exactly can the wealthy live with themselves living in such prestige and comfort knowing the amounts of individuals who suffer daily to make ends meet, find food to eat or a ...

How do you feel about the death penalty? ?
What do you think the purpose of the death penalty is? Do we put people to death mostly for retribution or is it more about public safety? Why wouldn't life in prison accomplish the same thing?...

Forced to drive illegal vehicle?
i am a van driver and my employers are forcing me to drive an illegal van. it has a bald tyre, one headlight not working, one indicator not working and very dangerous brakes. i told them i don't ...

How is the ban of gay marriage constitutional?
I think it is morally wrong to deny someone of marriage.How is it legal to discriminate. The only reasons i have got for the ban are religious ones that are unconstitutional. And that well what if ...

Do you believe in 'road rage' syndrome, or is it just mumbo-jumbo?
Recently, psychologists decided that frustration behind the wheel amounts to some kind of 'syndrome'. Are you buying that story, or is the problem a combination of over-congested highways ...

How can you call USA "the land of the free" when USA have death penalty?
"The death penalty is the ultimate cruel, inhuman and degrading punishment. It violates the right to life. It is irrevocable and can be inflicted on the innocent. It has never been shown to ...

Any law for my ex-neighbour stop phoning me?
We move home last year and the old house was given to a estate agent to rent.
Now my ex-neighbour keeps phoning me because of what their new neighbour does.
She (the ex-neighbour) calls me ...

Why do Republicans oppose embryonic stem cell research?
Do they not realize that if they oppose it they must oppose in-vitro fertlization to maintain a consistiant moral stance? It doesn't involve killing anything, but merely making use of something ...

With the murder of 5 woman do people still believe that prostitution still be illegal?

My apartment was destroyed by fire how much do i sue for?
I was not at home and some people were working on removing lead from by apt ,major construction,basically the landlord hired a contractor and the fire report i got said that and electrically saw ...

In the state of Mississippi can you drop out of school at the age of 17 without parental consent?

Additional Details
I am wanting to drop out get my ged and go to hinds collage. I have been having trouble with the school and school district...i have had problems and the school dont ...

acjj
If someone forgot to take his money at the atm machine, is it illegal for the next person to keep the money?

Show all answers
Post your answer

krishna
Absolutely illegal. Dishonest. Criminal.
In Islamic states, the guy who reached for the money would be a guy without a hand in the very forseeable future!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

JOHN D
finders keepers losers weepers.

RAYNE
LIKE THE OLD SAYING "FINDERS KEEPERS LOSERS WEEPERS" LOL

Starwolf
Yes, it is illegal, plus they have you on camera. The other person will notice they do not have the money and will have it checked. They then check the video and see who was next and question each person. That happened here. They let them know it is illegal to take any extra money they find there. They brought in several peope as the machine was giving too much. Yet they never care if you get too little. Then the machine seems to often be considered right.

elle55407
Rating
Yes, I suppose it's legal unless they come back for it and you are standing there holding what is obviously their money.
But definitely not very ethical. I would go one step further and find out who made the last transaction so they could retrieve there $$.

Bet you'd appreciate that if it ever happened to you.

semygal
Rating
its illegal if the next person to enter the ATM machine takes the money but it will be very difficult if not impossible for this person to be convicted in court for theft as it will be difficult to provide evidence that u left your money in and he took them.

but all in all, we have to remember that taking something which is not yours is theft and this is a sin as is against one of the God's ten commandments.

Pecan Goddess
Yes...and very unethical!! If it was you...you would want somebody to give it back to you..right???

TedEx
Rating
OK! I am the next guy and there's a wad of money there. How am I supposed to know who left i tthere if you took your receipt.

If I saw you walking away,I'd yell for you to stop.Otherwise, hey,if you're that dumb, not my problem.

chasen54
Rating
Its called finder keepers.I think as long as u did not steal,rob from ppl,it should be legal.

Puri
you don't know the financial situation of that person-what if they are struggling and that $20 is for their groceries? Its best if you find out who that money belongs to and return it to them. They will appreciate it-it will also put their faith back into people these days~

demilspencer@yahoo.com
Whether you know who it is or not, stay honest, contact the bank. They will look at their recordings, account number and make sure the person gets their money.

Erm
It depends on the situation. Two main scenarios:
1st: The one behind you KNOWS that you are the owner of the money and CHOSE not to return to you when he has a chance to do so, then yes, it is a criminal offence, probably under misapporation or theft.

2nd: You left the ATM and the person after you does not know you were the owner of the money and there is no where to locate you, then no, he has not committed any offence.

However, it also depend whether he takes reasonable steps to locate the owner of the money. But let's face it, not many people will bother to do it.

You may ask, if the taker of money was captured on CCTV, and somehow you managed to locate him, can police charge him? No. Why? because there is no offence unless he took your ATM card and withdraw money without your permission.

So, when draw money, do check the slot inside out and count the money on the spot before leaving the machine.

qb
Rating
This is an interesting mix of property tort and criminal law. If you saw the party, and did not tell them and took it, it would be one thing, but if it's just sitting there with no one in sight, I'm not sure it is illegal. And if you don't know whos it is, why would it be so unethical? Giving it to the bank wouldn't get it back to the poor sole who lost the money.

Artman
Yes it's illegal.

Forgotten or lost property it's not the same as abandoned property. They still belong to the owner.

Second, if they are at the ATM they are still under the bank protection, fit you take it they can ask for it back and if you refuse you can be charged with a federal offense (they did the same when some ATM started giving $20 bills instead of $5's by mistake.

Besides there are laws about lost and found property; usually you can claim any found property but you must wait certain amount of time, after that if no-one claim it then it's legally yours and it's too late for the owner to do anything.

cherry
i would take it inside and give it to a teller it is wrong to take someones money even if they wher stupid enough to leave it

Tan D
Yes, it's illegal.
Under Section 403 of Penal Code (Dishonest misappropriation of property) :-
Whoever dishonestly misappropriates or converts to his own use movable property, shall be punished with imprisonment for a term which may extend to 2 years, or with fine, or with both.

justgetitright
Rating
If a person finds money at the ATM, they are supposed to
turn it in to the police (bye bye money) but you can place
and ad in the local paper for 3 days ( I think) and if no one
claims it, then it belongs to you. So no it is not illegal to
keep it providing that you make an attempt to return it
to the rightful owner.

Funny thing happened to me, I found a ham radio that
was worth about $300 and turned it into the police department, they gave me a receipt and placed the
value at $50. If no one claimed it within 60 days then
the radio would have been turned over to me.

I later found out that if the value was $50 or less it was
a 60 day wait, more than $50, 3 day wait, presumably
the less the value, the less likely a person would come
back to claim the goods, I got screwed on that deal
the owner claimed it on day 59 (like I really believe that
it was the true owner) I have learned to keep it and
pay for the advertisement in the newspaper.

Grist
Rating
Not if you don't know who left it there. Otherwise you would have an obligation to give it to the person who "lost" it.

OR, you could turn it in to the police and ask that if nobody claims it, then you will claim it as found property.

Don't give it back to the people who "own" the machine. It's not theirs, as they already deducted the same amount from the losers' account.

And they will not look for that person if you don't stand over them and insist on it.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy