Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Several American cities are trying to make laws regarding the way people dress in public.?
This stems primarily from baggy pants. Cities such as Shreveport, Alexandria and Atlanta are negotiating such new ordinances now. Whether you like that style of dress or not, it does not give our ...

Should people exposed to second hand smoke as children be allowed to sue tobacco companies?
What if they developed respiratory illness later in life and never smoked....

Should abortion be allowed in the case of rape?

How do I get out of jury duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
I'm supposed to "report" for jury duty tomorrow. I ignored it the 1st time and it says "previously absent" and it says "I may be fined" if I dont show up this time. ...

Why can't our children read a bible at school but they can in prison?

My 16 year old daughter?
got picked up by the police cuz they said she and a boyfriend are on tape trying to steal a car--she denies it said they were talking to a friend in between some cars and he happend to push a button ...

Can my neighbour place her wheely bins on the road every day to stop other people parking outside her house?
My neighbour is a rather pathetic individual. She wheels her bins out of her front garden and places them on the street outside her house every single day before she goes to work so no one parks ...

Can the Employer ask me to work in the weekend?
Hi,

Can the employer ask me to work in the weekend even though my current schedule is Mon-Fri 7-4PM.
Please note that the employer asked me last year but I refused to work on hte ...

My boyfriend was just pulled over and he didn't have his license on him but it was at home . .what can happen

Do you think that capital punishment is enough in itself, or should the criminal die a painful death?
On television recently, Micheal Portillo examnined the various ways of execution of prisoners sentenced to death. All except one caused some pain. So the question arose should the way in which the ...

If smoking is bad, why are cigarettes sold?
a lot of you brag about how smoking is bad and harmful. ok then why don't u stupid store owners stop selling them at stores?...

Smokers and non-smokers ...?
Should smoking be banned in areas that can affect others (workplace, restaurants, apartment/condos, etc)?

Should you have a right to smoke wherever?

Do you agree or disagree ...

Why don't poor people see if they just cut out smoking and drinking and soft drinks, they can save $$?
They can save about $300 a month, so why don't they?
Some rich people smoke and drink, but most poor people smoke and drink, it is actually a vise of the poor. And yes, if they cut it ...

I pumped 30 bucks worth of gas and left without paying?
What are my odds of being sentenced to a year in jail? I did something really dumb and now I have to go to court. I can't receive a one year sentence or more as I would face deportation because I...

You are kicked to death by a group of young hoodies / chavs / drunk teenagers outside your home...?
They are 14 to 17 years old. About 6 of them. You did nothing other than ask the group to not damage your car or keep sound down. They launch and attack on you and repeatedly gang kick you.

Can you drive a automatic car with a manual driving licence?
i know you cant drive a manual if you only have a automatic licence, is the same the other way round? in the ...

Should gay couples be given the same legal rights as heterosexuals in adopting children?

How can i recognise a suicide bomber?

Is Canada morally wrong to allow a drinking age as low as 18?

What are my rights when told I'm not being hired because I don't speak spanish?
I am highly qualified for this job.. They have other people working there that speak spanish that aren't as qualified as I am. It is not listed in the job requirements that you have to speak ...

kiittyteco
If a robber breaks into someone's home and the owner defends it, can the robber sue them?
Im just wondering cos I heard that thety could. If they can its terrible, but im not sure.
Additional Details
By the way, I live in the UK so can they sue there?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Joe
That could happen when liberals seize control of government. This is also the level of madness being demonstrated by Barack Hussein Obama.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

cmdrbnd007
Rating
It's happened before, that's why you shot the damn thief dead.

EnglishPitBullDoggie
That depends on where you live. In most states if someone breaks into your home, you have the right to defend yourself, and your property.

Scootup
No. You have the right to defend your Home and property. Especially if you feel your life is in danger.
If you shot the person make sur you have a permit for the weapon.

danielblack_onair
Rating
In some states no they can't sui...

yahoo LK
Rating
Sadly, Yes. One man hit a robber round the head with a hammer because he had broken into his house and the robber sued him and won.

kinvadave
Rating
The owner is only allowed to use the minimum of force in self defence. If he acts aggresively or with a weapon and the burgler is hurt then the robber can take legal action for compensation for his injuries.

It's sad but it's our law as it currently stands.

spaazztttic
Rating
depends.
if you pull out a gun and shoot their hand or leg coz they were stealing your laptop then yes they can
but if they try and hurt you i think its a different story

That not my name
Rating
Only if the robber receives damage that would be categorized as excessive.

I don't have problems about getting sued cuz only people that are alive can do that.

Dolly Blue
Yes they can ...and it has happened....stupid isn't it ? !!!

In Uk

Tony M
Rating
It all depends on the state you live in. States like Missouri have passed home defense laws that allow you to protect your property with force, even deadly if need be. Other states have an equal force law, meaning that you can only defend your self (sometimes property) with force equal to that used against you. Still other states have laws that seem to protect robbers more than their victims.

Thomas
Rating
its very circumstantial.

If the robber breaks in and is unarmed and you beat him so hard that he becomes retarded then you might have some legal issues.

Of course it also depends on what state you live in.

Ramona-please step back!
if you can prove self defense, then NO, but if you use what is called excessive force, then you may be sued

Cptainamer
Rating
There is nothing that would preclude a Individuel from filing a civil law suite against the home owner, assuming they could get an attorney to represent them. That on the other hand does not guarantee them a financial settlement it would be entirely up to the courts.Each case would be weighed and decided on it's own merits.

Julie B
In this crzy world unfortunately there have been weird cases in the paper. Its natural instinct especially if children are in the property but yes people have been sued - absolutely unbelievable i know!!!!!!

The Saint
Rating
I've heard that an old man beat an armed attacker senseless with his walking stick. The old man was the one charged with using an offencive weapon. The attacker was awarded damages, too. Where was the sense in that? This happened in London.

Christian
Rating
depends on the corrupt justice system

David L
Rating
You can sue anybody for almost any reason. The real question is - can they win?

Probably not. But, strange things have happened, and I'm sure a few "robbers" have managed to pull it off.

Ash
As long as it is self defence they cannot sue. However if the robber breaks in to your house and falls down the stairs breaking his leg because the hand rail was loose he can sue. Completely rediculous! I remember hearing on the news a few years back a robber sued a family for a good chunk of change (and won) because he fell through there sky light and hurt himself. He was on the roof looking for a way to break in.

johncondo47
any body can sue any one and I saw a shop lifter get beat up buy a store detective and got 100,000

Moose
Not a lawyer, but in some cases, the answer is probably yes.

Assume your house is invaded. You are able to subdue the intruder and have him under your control. But, anger gets the better of you and you, say, hit him with your son's baseball bat, causing him injury. Are you liable? Most folks would say yes. The intruder was under your control and you elected to harm him out of anger not self defense.

On the other hand, if he is in a position to threaten you, and you shoot and kill him, he's been castled (at least in Texas).

The difference is that in the latter case your life was in danger and in the former the threat no longer existed.

Need input
Yes most of the time the robber can sue...thats the shambolic justice system in this country.

Chrissy
Yep, but the extent depends on which state you are in. In some states, you just have to have a sign or sticker saying you are armed (kind of like beware of dog) lol
Then some other states, don't have any type of self defense statute, so if you touch them in any way it is assault.

Several years ago, an intruder fell through a window and got hurt. He then sued the man for his mishap.
Another instance..a man shot an intruder in the leg, the intruder then sued the man. The owner lost because he did not have any warning signs saying that he was armed.

So yeah, they can, and yes it sucks

nas88caror 300 09? way to go BK!
nope because he is breaking the law...nad they can not profit from it

Sam Vimes
Did you know if you left your front door open and a robber walked in you have NO right to defend your property, because technically it's not Breaking and Entering.

Justice for all, my a ss.

pedro_peewee
Rating
If someone breaks into someone elses house, the house owner is allowed to use reasonable force to get the burglar out. If excessive force is used then the burglar can sue the owner.

MellowMan
Rating
Unfortunately Yes. A friend of mine who is a Policeman told me to step back and not touch a robber, mostly for my own protection as the robber might fight back and badly hurt me or worse. But as you are insured it's safer to let them get on with it, but let them know you are there as that may frighten them off. And call the Police.

Mr Doesright
Rating
Shoot to kill. How can they sue if they are dead?

sean b
Depends on where you live.

Some places yes, in some no.

In some places if you are not in fear for your life or your families life then you cant touch the robber. e.g. if the robber stays downstairs and your family are upstairs, then you sneak down and slap him one. youll have to pay.

Best thing to do if you ever find your self in this situation is to take a baseball bat to the bag of the theifs head, then do a little dance on his face and ribs. Pick him up and drag him across the street, then phone an ambulance and say theres a drunk guy passed out across the street from your house.
When he wakes up hes not likely to tell the cops that he was just burglarising your house is he.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, December 20, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy