Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

 I just turned 21 and I have a 15 (almost 16) year old coworker I like? Laws? Boundaries? Rules?
I work at a small business and have since the start of the summer. Recently we hired this nice young girl, a high school sophomore who lives a block away from the place of work. She is a nice ...

 What is so difficult about passing a law that says anyone found carrying a knife gets 15 years inside?
Without remission. Politicians seem unable to see the wood for the trees.
Additional Details
Everyone seems to be missng the point that the excessive sentences just might stop people ...

 Should those with death penalties be allowed to end their own life, is there any reason other than....?
religion, why this should not be allowed?
to my mind this could be viewed as the ultimate act of contrition....and if a person feels that way...what point does it serve to unnecessarily prolong ...

 Is a slap assault.......?
From one grown woman to another?...

 Does anyone think that it is "Un-American" to hate Bush???
Ok anyone who knows me knows that I can't stand Bush. Well one day I wore a shirt to school that had a picture of Bush and his father and under it said "Dumb and Dumber". Well my ...

 Bullying at work ?
We work in a retail store that does not have a union. We have a manager who is making lives unbearable with their constant bullying. We have complained to senior management ...

 Will you break the law on the 1st July? Smoking Ban!!!?
I'm a smoker... and before you say it, I know its bad for me!!! thats why I've tried giving up so many times.
But, Oh.. my.. god, big brother is trying to control me!!! On ...

 Cannabis : Pros and Cons?
The title kinda speaks for itself I just want people to look at this seriously for a moment. I would also like to people to be as unbias as they can please....

 "A scantily clothed girl or woman is begging to be sexually harassed" Do you agree or not? Why?

Additional Details
Let's change 'sexually harassed' to 'rape'. Still her own fault?...

 What are your opinions on the death penalty?
for or against, and why?

just curious :)

PS because this is a political and constitutional subject, please keep god out of it. One cant argue "thou shalt not kill&...

 Why should men pay for a child they never wanted?
A man must choose to be a father in the same way that a woman chooses to be a mother. It is not fair that a woman can use a morning after pill without consent, abort without consent, and have the ...

 Do you think the judge would find it funny if I wore a shirt that says, "There is too much blood in my alcohol?
" when I go to court tomorrow for a drunk driving charge? I think it will make him laugh and be easier on me but my friend said no way....

 Do you think owning a gun should be legal or illegal? Even for purposes of protection?
Do you think guns kill people, or people kill people?

I personally love shooting guns....

 Why do companies turn a blind eye toward abuses by the State in China?
Are they working with or against the U.S. Government?

U.S. Government’s Human Rights Report for 2005

 Is it rude to ask a stranger for a cigarette, breaking it and throw it away ?
This is an ethics query.

After all, what does it matter how it is disposed, either smoked or broken ? Since it has been given up, is the discretion not up to the beggers there after ?

 My daughter had an affair and is expecting her second child, what should I do?
My daughter had an affair with her aunt's hubby and is now expecting her second child with the same guy. He lives with his wife and visits my daughter whenever he is able to. My own husband ...

 Should we demand an investigation into 911 by the new congress?

 I know of two men both are 25 and neither have worked since leaving school.?
they both say they are happy on there benefit money and have no intention of working.1 has 5 kids the other has 3. what do you think of people like this? and what would you do to get them into work?...

 Kids keep tresspassing on property (they're doing it right now) Am I allowed to physically deal with them ?

 Was old mother hubbard not getting enough income support???

Arbo T
How do i prove I'm innocent of a crime when theres no witness or evidence?
A police officer made up false charges against me .I was falsely arrested. How can i prove that the officer made up these charges . When there is no witness or evidence .I've never been in trouble before and this is really frustrating to me .Please me
Additional Details
Thank you for all your answers. To the people who want to know what the charges are obstructing an officer and resisting a peace officer.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Police officers don't "make up false charges".

You must have done something.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

6&#39;3 and 135lbs
Depends on the color of your skin.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Mr. Mexican
till this day i have never seen a guy saying a police made a right arrest

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Joe C
I BELIEVE YOU! And the first poster is wrong in suggesting that this never occurs and corruption does not exist.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

They have to have some proof. It is their job to prove you are guilty, not your job to prove you're innocent.
FYI: "obstructing" and "resisting" are empty charges they made up to harrass you for not being cooperative enough in their opinion. There are not jails full of people guilty of these "crimes" and they will not hold any water at all. Just bring as many witnesses and personal contacts as you can who can testify that you are a good person and never in any trouble. Then get an attorney to request the records of the police officers to see if they have ever been charged with abuse or something else. I doubt seriously this will result in any charges. Just go to court and tell the truth, with some friends and family to support you. (I doubt it will ever go to court anyway.)

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Mary W
Come on now! If there is no evidence that a crime was committed then there is NOT going to be charges filed by the DA. You still have an arrest on your record though. To get that removed you must go to the court where the "crime" occurred and ask the judge to expunge the arrest record. Actually it is pretty simple. If there is no witness for your side and there is no witness for the cop's side - everybody is SOL! Now get this .... cops have a real hard time with using their "pseudopower" wisely. If they are looking for an arrest (any arrest) they will use intimidation in order to do what was done in your case. Now this is clear - stay away from that cop because if he/she really wants to "get you" they surely will.
Cops do not realize many times the difference between good, community-oriented policing, and corruption. They know a few (probably less than 6-7) laws well enough to make an arrest. You can just walk away - and of course stay out of that cop's jurisdiction.
HOWEVER, everyone on the planet says they are innocent and they "didn't do it". It is something the cops hear everyday and our society thinks it is "ok" to lie to everybody. After all it is good business.
From the information in your posting, I think you have nothing to worry about - but if you choose to ignore my advice and not stay away from this cop's jurisdiction - God help you!!!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Get as many good character references as you can-preferably professional people. People who have known you for a few years; Doctors, employer, teacher etc.
A central premise of the law is demonstrating good character.
Judges are not stupid people, they are highly intelligent and will see through anything flimsy and contrived.
Secondly, the onus is on the police to prove your guilt ( innocent until proven guilty)
Thirdly, take some legal advice on where you stand regarding the police bringing false charges.
Good luck and stay strong and focused.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You need a solid alibi and a really good lawyer. If it comes down to your word against his, it won't be good. See if your lawyer can poke holes in his record. Perhaps he has a history of excessive force or many complaints against him. If he is clean, this is going to be tough. Get ready for a fight.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

you do not have to prove your innocence, the officer has to prove your guilt ( beyond a reasonable doubt) and if there is no evidence or witnesses than that should be hard to do for him ( unless it is municipal court). if it is a "city" court case ask the judge that it be bound over to state court and then hire an attorney to represent you there.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Provide proof that you were somewhere else other than where the crime supposedly happened.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You did not say what type of crime, if it a minor offense then the cop wins, if it a major offense, then they need more proof.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You don't have to pove that you're innocent. They have to prove that you're guilty if they don't have an admission by you.

Fortunately for you, in this country we have the presumption of innocence until proof of guilt is provided. This means that the burden of proof lies with the prosecution. If the prosecutor can't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you've committed this act, then you're off the hook and can't be tried again, due to double jeopardy.
I do suggest you hire an attorney or if you can't afford one don't worry because a public defender will be assigned to you.
Good luck.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If this is in the United States the burden of proof is on the prosecution. You don't have to prove you didn't do something, they have to prove that you did.
I had an altercation with two men once, and was arrested for aggravated assault. The policemen didn't see anything, they had the word of the two witnesses.
My lawyer did an investigation on the complainants, and turns out they had records a mile long.
Suddenly their credibility was in question and the DA dropped the charges.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If, in fact, there are no witness or evidence... how were you charged with a crime?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

first the fourth amendment protects you from illegal search and seizure and the sixth amendment guarantees the right to a fair, and speedy trial, as well as the right to a lawyer, and help with witness or evidents for your side. all being said hire a lawyer and have him file motion after motion, get the officers arrest history for the last 3, 5 or how ever many years. ( I'm a police officer and I'm not going to say that all police officers are good. For the most part they are but some try be some type of wonder cop. How they got to the point of carrying a badge and gun is what scares me.) arrest history should help and even a personal history of the officer. And always have a jury trial. it takes all twelve to convict and only one to acquit.---------------- all you have to woory about is the obstructing charge, a not guilty on that and there was no reason for the other.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You don't have to prove your innocence. The prosecutor has to prove your guilt. Whatever you do, don't take a plea.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

He has to prove you are guilty

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If there is unsufficient evidence against you then it would end up being a mistrial. But for the most part, cops will be believed first.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Le Comte (formerly known as Kuf)
You need highly credible alibis, or you might not need evidence proving your case but evidence that disproves his claims or witnesses that disprove his claims. A complete explanation of the case to a competent lawyer will be required.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Unless you have proof or a witness the Officer will be the one the Judge believes.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Big Bobby Clobber
Get a lawyer.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, August 5, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy