Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

 Is being a Jew a "Race" or a "Nationality ?"?
Even as in the USA.where one is obliged to "Swear." allegence to the "Nation "symbolicy in front of the National flag ;do the majority of the Jewish population consider themselves ...

 How do you feel about the gay marriage ban in california?
How did the ban affect you?...

 I'm in Ireland and the government are proposing a ban on people smoking at home, is this one step 2 far?

 If you are in canada on the border and drink at legal age 19 but cross the border to throw away?
If you are in Canada on the border and drink at legal age 19 but cross the border and then throw away the container without drinking anything in the US can they arrest you for underage drinking ?

 Is it legal to hold an 18 year old girl in contempt of court?
The crime was commited when she was 17 and trial was held when she was 18. She refused to testify against her boyfriend and was told that because she was underage, she did not have 5th amendment ...

 Is it illegal to kidnap my own friend?
So my friends and I are planning to film a fake kidnapping in the city streets for our film project. Thing is if we pull up in a van and kidnap one of our own friends in the street infront of ...

 Is it illegal for an employer to pay less than the minimum wage?

 Can my employer force me to drive to work in the snow?
I live about 5 miles away, the snow is at least 10 inches thick, there are no buses, trains tubes running. My boss is saying that I have to get into work somehow, even if i walk! Surely they have a ...

 Should the death penalty be brought back for terrorists, should it be public and what method would you use?
would you let them just wimper away on a bed after having an injection or would you like to see them go through pain 1st so that other would be terrorists would see what cowards they really are and NO...

 No Morals, No unity, and power gluttons. What happened to America? (don't get cheap with a 9/11 answer!)?

Additional Details
Wow!!! So many responses, Thank you! Please once again please answer truly and not because of your political party agenda (this is not the soap box to stand on) ...

 My aunt and uncle were called for jury duty buy they cant speak english, what should they do?
what should they do because they cant speak english and they wont understand anything so what should they do?...

 An employee of a store thought i was stealing and (I think) wrote my car license plate, what should i do?
I didn't pay attention to it until I got home and thought about it. I buzzed the alarm on my way out and offered to show someone my receipt to prove I didn't steal anything but I was just ...

 Would you given the chance?
would you sit in the viewing galleries of a prison and watch someone be executed?

I would seriously consider it, i know I am probably sick, but wouldn't it be a once in a lifetime ...

 What's your opinion of the death penalty? Is it ever justified?

Additional Details
Come on, people, I'm asking for in-depth opinions, not just a few-word answer, please....

 Which kilss more people and harms our lives more? weed? or tobacco/alcohol?

 Should prostitution be legal in the United States.?

 Do you consider abortion to be murder?
theres a huge arguement on weither abortion is murder... personally i think it ...

 Ok this seems to be going WAAAY too far. what do you think?
My little sister is in high school here in Texas, and this particular city.. they don't allow students to be carrying cellular phones. Thats completely reasonable. they also go in every room ...

 Should jail be 'punishment' or 'rehabilitation' or 'other'. explain!?

Additional Details
oxyman42-what do you sugest?...

 Gay Marriage: Why are people against gay marriage?
I hear crap about god and all that, but where is the seperation of Church and state? Oh, and if it is all about god then why do we need to be liscensed to get married? Permission is granted by the US ...

Do we have to keep paying child support past 18 yrs old?
My stepson turned 18 in March. He did not finish high school, he is taking night classes to get his diploma, (or so we are told) He works under the table during the day and still lives with his mother. Child support was never court ordered, we just pay each week, do we have to keep paying now that he is 18? They will be moving out of state in about a month. We live in Massachusetts. Thank you

Show all answers
Post your answer

no definetly not but you should help your son if you have the money

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Lori B
Once he is 18 he is an adult and therefore he no longer is entitled to child support.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

No. Child support is only there is a child!

**Though you may want to still help your child complete his educational goals.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

No, I don't think you do.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Depending on the state, and I don't know about MA, you may have to pay until he finishes college, even if that's at age 25! None of my kids finished at 22 like most kids do.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

i am pretty sure you don't have to sense he is legally an adult now and should be supporting himself. if you want to give him cash to help him out, that's up to you. but you can't go to jail or anything now.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Crystal F
If the child continues school after 18, yes until they finish their education.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

as long as its not court ordered then no... you didnt even have to pay from day 1

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Barry auh2o
Was never court ordered??? WTF?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

if he is not a full time student and child support was not court ordered,and he is working then ,maybe you should reduce his payments.i would check into the laws where you are at.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

without a court order, you never had to pay it at all. If the court had ordered it, the court could have had it end at 18 or later depending on circumstances.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

it depends on how much back support is owed

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If child support was never court ordered, you never "had" to pay it in the first place. You certainly do not have to continue now the the boy is an adult.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I live in Maryland, but our state law is that as long as a child is in school the non-custodial parent must pay support until the age of the child's 19th birthday. Just look up the child support laws in your state it should tell you.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Eric G

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

My mom received child support for me until I was 19, but I had to be in some sort of schooling. So to tell you the truth Im not sure since its not court ordered and you reside in MA, im in CA.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Chef Frisbee
If it's not court ordered - you never had to pay "technically" though ethically you did.

However - the kid's 18 and old enough to get his crap together and start standing on his own two feet.

Sounds like the parent that was taking care of him wasn't keeping much discipline on the child - which led to him not finishing school properly.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You are not responsible for child support after the age of 18 unless there is a court order that says so. You didn't even HAVE to pay it before the age of 18 unless it was court ordered. But its nice that he did pay it.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Hey Parent,
No, your done with the payments. No matter if the kid is done with school or not, your responsibilities are satisfied as far as the legal aspect goes. If you want to help the mother out if the child still lives at home, that's on you. Good Luck, your free

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

First off, you need to ask a lawyer this question. Don't forget that using the defense of "...but they told me on Yahoo Answers..." won't look too good in front of a judge.

It's hard to believe that child support was never ordered, especially in an ultra-liberal state like Massachusetts.

Having said all that, however...if it were me, I wouldn't pay child support once the boy turned 18 if he'd already dropped out of public school.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If he remains in school and can prove it, you're responsible until the age of twenty one.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If he is now 18, is not disabled, and can't prove that he is still enrolled in classes (regular high school clases, whether day or night, not GED), then no. He is now an adult.

<<If he remains in school and can prove it, you're responsible until the age of twenty one.>>

This poster is incorrect. It is only through HIGH SCHOOL unless disabled. Some individual states include college, but that is not widespread (nor should be) and typically determined on a case to case basis.

Great job, BTW, to have continued to support the child all this time without a court order. It's a shame more people don't get along to be able to determine themselves what is best. What I would recommend though, is if he is indeed going to night classes, to cover him at least through what would have been his graduation in June since the law usually states 18 or finished high school. Some kids just don't do well in the day school environment and just getting them finished is a good thing!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

First of all you had better read this well.

If the child support is not COURT ORDERED you spouse is a damn fool.

Now, if you're still reading, here is why. the ex can go back to court and file now and at a minimum, if your husband can't prove each and every payment, the court can order support for the last 18 years then the court can order retroactive child support beginning at birth.

The state of Massachusetts allows for interest to be charged on late child support payments, retroactive support, and adjudicated arrears at a rate of 12% annually. Depending upon payments received, obligors might not be assessed interest or might be eligible to apply for a waiver under certain circumstances. (M.G.L. c.119A, s6(a) 830 CMR s119A.6.1)

I would suggest you ask the mother for proof that the child is attending school and agree to pay the support until a date when he is supposed to graduate or does graduate or no longer than his 19th birthday.

In the agreement, the mother is to sign an affidavit of completion stipulating that child support has been paid regularly by the non-custodial parent and will be completed on the date agreed.

This is why it is NEVER a good idea to do a 'self-help' solution.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If he is not a full time student then it should not be nessessary. If it was not court ordered then for sure there will be no problem.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

No you do not have to pay current support past the age of 18, unless it is court ordered, the child is attending school full time, or you have back support due. If you owe support from previous years then you must continue paying until the back support is paid off. If you are current then you should be done.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Linda D

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, August 3, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy