Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Is Canada morally wrong to allow a drinking age as low as 18?

What are my rights when told I'm not being hired because I don't speak spanish?
I am highly qualified for this job.. They have other people working there that speak spanish that aren't as qualified as I am. It is not listed in the job requirements that you have to speak ...

Shouldn't all these underaged girls be put in jail?
this trying to seduce all of us older guys is getting out of ...

What gives G W Bush the right ?
to outlaw abortions because of his religous beliefs isnt that mixing church with state?
Additional Details
i know that he hasnt outlawed abortion and he cant do it himself but he has ...

Do u agree with the death penality ???
I could never agree with it. Because the whole point of punishing someone is so that they would understand their mistakes and suffer the consequences of their action. But the death penality doesn'...

Is the death penalty more about revenge than justice? Is there a difference between revenge and justice?

Should women be allowed to drive?

Do you dice with death on a regular basis?

Is it wrong for me to shoplift at Walmart?
let me plead my case.
I live right next to a walmart super store.
My family buys EVERYTHING from walmart..... like groceries..e.t.c and we have probably put about 40,000 since the store ...

If every criminal was executed even after there first crime would criminals eventually die out?

A dangerous burgler (robber) breaks into your house and confronts you - how far would u go with using force ?
in terms of 'self defence' - would you comply and let him/her take w/e the hell he/she wanted ?

or would you just go with your knee jerk reactions and try to restrain this ...

Can I sue Walmart? Please tell me something good?
Heres the story. My girlfriend had stolen something while we were at Walmart. So as were leaving the store a guy yells stop and my girl takes of running to my car(I'm still walking). The guy ...

How do we reverse the trend of juvenile violence?
It has taken only 100 years for children to develop from the Victorian 'seen and not heard' type brought up to respect elders and authority, into the modern disrespectful gangs with no fear ...

Should burglars face jail...?
Official advisers to the Government have today proposed that judges should not jail burglars, but should face curfews or unpaid work as punishment for breaking and entering somebody elses home. Do ...

How can i prove he did rape me ?
I was raped a few months ago by a guy who was my friend. Ive decided to report him.But how can I prove he did what he did? No idea what to do. He doesnt deserve to get away with it. He has made me ...

Should schools bring back capital punishment?
I was watching Fox News and they said that kids now days are becoming so bad because we don't punish them anymore. Fox News suggested we bring back capital punishment or let teachers carry hand ...

Drug dealers as bad as killers and child molester?
Why are drug dealers as bad as murderers and rapist?.i don't think drug dealers and drug users should go to prison because they're not hurting anyone,especially the drug user....

Do you think pot should be legal?

Is it legal to store pictures of people you may or may not know on your computer? ?
For instance if i go on one persons photo album on their Myspace page and then download all the photos of it
Additional Details
Hey people im not weird lol, its just something i have ...

Should people who make obscene profits when they sell their home donate a percentage to charity?
...instead of buying ludicrous investment holiday homes in Plovdiv or Torremolinos, how about sharing their windfall with Shelter, the homeless charity, or something else fairer and more equitable ...

Moe
Can the Employer ask me to work in the weekend?
Hi,

Can the employer ask me to work in the weekend even though my current schedule is Mon-Fri 7-4PM.
Please note that the employer asked me last year but I refused to work on hte weekend.

Thanks

Show all answers
Post your answer

yoyoyoyo
Rating
what does "hte" mean
you said "but i refused to work on hte weekend"

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

RobertNeville
Rating
He can ask you but can't make you .....

Robert H
Rating
I guess that depends on your employer. If I asked you to work on the weekend and you refused, I would simply fire you, regardless of what your schedule is.

Princess Katalia
frankly no. employees have no power over other employees

wifebeater
When you were hired, did you tell them that you would be available to work anytime? I mean sometimes they ask me that, and i just yes them so i can get the job. Then they go ahead and ask me and im like "oh crap". lol

I mean, if its extra money, why not just do it. I used to tell a boss of mine thati had a side job that i do on the weekends. Either i really had cakes to make, or i made something up lol

Gildgragon
you would want to check your LNI website for details,but genrealy speaking if you work at least 40 hours in a week they cannot demand that you work more. They will have to pay you overtime at the rate of base hourly rate + 1/2 base hourly rate per hour over 40. This is good because you get more money.

However, depending on agreements you signed, the employer can demand that you work outside your regularly scheduled shift as long as doing that doesn't put you over 40 hours. lets say for example he wanted to have you work on saturday (being 1st day in a pay week :meaning week starts for work on sat and ends on Fri) for 3 hours, than he would arrange to have you take time off on another normally scheduled day like you would leave 3 hours early on monday.

Helpfulhannah
Yes Your Employer can ask and require you to work weekends unless you have religious obligations/restrictions that keep you from working.

Even with that they can Schedule you to work one of the weekend days if the business necessitates it.

rwcrufler
Rating
Absolutely. There a plenty of replacements at the moment.
If you don't someone else surely will.

dukefenton
Rating
It depends on the exact nature of your work agreement. They can always *ask* even if it's not your regular schedule; the question is whether they can *require* it - and that's not a question that can be answered with the information at hand. If you're not supposed to work weekends, get it in writing; employers in general are famous for abusing their position of advantage.

My suggestion - if you *can* work the weekend, do so as a gesture of goodwill; but make it absolutely clear - in writing, if need be - that this is not to be expected on a regular basis. If you really *can't* work the weekend, let your employer know why - in writing, and preferably as nicely as possible.

Oh, and if they don't pay overtime as legally required, DO NOT HESITATE to complain to the state labor board.

WooleyBooley again
Rating
Of course they can. That's why they employ YOU. Sounds as if they were desperate.
If your salaried, you better. Hourly, just say no.

Jesse K
Rating
Sure they can....as long as he/she doesnt ask you close your eyes and grab your ankles (that might be illegal)

Seriously, I say dooooo it, as long as its OT.

Luis Miguel
Yes the employer can ask you to work overtime and he can also have you come in mandatory over the weekend according to the labor board if the employer needs you extra time he can make you come in. If you take your issue to the labor board theyll end up telling you that if you dont want to work overtime to look for a 40 hour job. Sounds unfair but thats how it is.

Emmm
Rating
Well, yes, they technically have the right to ask you to work whenever. You should try to negotiate with him/her--don't argue or anything, just calmly explain why you can't work on weekends.

kcyesye
Rating
He can ask, but you don't have to say yes. If your work schedule when you signed up was mon-fri 7-4 then that is when you have to work. Everything else is extra. If you accept you had better be getting some good benefits such as overtime. Then again if you had a flexible schedule then it would be perfectly reasonable to work the week end. Where it stands you are perfectly legit in refusing to work the weekend.

zuezug
Rating
He CAN ask.....
and you can refuse.
You did it last year and you are still working there.
Guess he gonna have to hire part timer rather than pay you for overtime.
Sounds like he presenting you opportunity to make some extra money.
You haven't been crying the blues about finances have you?

beez
Rating
You can refuse again this year. Employers can ask just about anything they want.

Rockin
Rating
They can ask, but usually over 40 hours required OT pay if you're hourly.

Kirk Neel
If you worked for me I would fire you

Pagan Princess
Every weekend? Or every here and there?
Of course they can ask! It can even be mandatory! Try working in a factory for awhile. You don't have a choice. During heavy production you may have to work 10 hour days M-F PLUS weekends!

ready2go67
Rating
Im sure they can ASK you.. as long as they are not TELLING you you have to.

Do what you did last year & say you are busy.

TedEx
Rating
Yes he can!!!!!!!!!!

Lottie W
Rating
Depends on whether you are independently wealthy.
If so, tell him to pack sand.
If not, you might remind him that your work hours are this and will you be getting overtime or is this a permanent change or a temporary thing. TALK like a grown-up.
He can ASK whatever he wants. Whether ou comply is complex. Is there anyone else he can ask? Do you love your job? Are you well paid? Does he ask a lot of you without paying extra?
Weigh carefully, since there are lots of people out there looking for work-wekends or otherwise.

laughinggiraffe2003
He is allowed to ask you but maybe you mean do you have to work ? The answer to that is whatever is written into your contract, if your contracted to work weekends then yes you have to if its not in there then no you don't have to work.

Pam H
Rating
They can ask you to do anything they would like. You have the right to say no. They have the right to fire you. Very simple. When you no fill their needs they will no longer need you.

sudonym x
Sure he can ask, it is his right, just as it seems to be your right to say no. I have worked weekends from time to time, I like the overtime pay.

I Bent My Wookie
If you are salaried they can.

magnutc
Rating
They can ask, and you can say no. It can absolutely affect your likelihood of raises or promotions.

endpov
Rating
Unless it states somewhere in a company handbook or it was stated from the beginning when you interviewed with them that they wouldn't ask or require you to work weekends, then they can ask you. Having weekend obligations, religious affiliations, health restrictions and the like can help you avoid being forced to work weekends. You might notice that people who are willing to work weekends might also receive more perks and promotions and are probably more tired and stressed out than you too. A lot of people work only part time for an employer these days in order to avoid becoming slaves to the company. You should make sure they have to pay you overtime if you work over 40 hours a week. I'd think twice about working for a company that puts working for them ahead of being with your family, keeping yourself healthy, etc...

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, July 31, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy