Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

What Would You Rather Be A Doctor Or Lawyer?
Both make great money and are about helping people, but I am confused if I could be both I would but I can't pay for med and law school
Additional Details

What do you think about abortion?
I just wanted to see what ppl thought about abortion and what their reasoning for their answer is.
Additional Details
I'm pro-life and i think that even if someone is raped they don&...

How many of us would hand in a purse if you found it, to the police?
& how many would not?
if they had pics of kiddies in then yes ...

For one day any 1 crime is legal what would you do?????
no rape or murder or any crime against humanity.
Additional Details
its a hypothetical question so dont say "nothing"...

How can I report that people are smoking marijuana at my workplace?
I work as a cook in a restaurant and I am the only one who doesn't smoke weed (Yes, the managers smoke weed too). How can I goabout having them all arrested without me looking like a snitch? P.S...

Do you support the idea "If you do not work you do not eat"?
I do! I am sick of my taxes supporting generations of feckless lay abouts. Some would come crying "What about the young, old and sick"? Well my retort is let charitable societies take care ...

Is this racist?
If you're white, black, brown, yellow, pink or orange and English, German, Polish, Greek, Asian, African or from the planet Pluto, it doesn't bother me.

But when I'm out and ...

What do NRA supporters have to say about yesterday's shooting?
Try to imagine that one of your loved ones was killed in the massacre, and then justify why guns should not be made completely illegal.
Additional Details
First, let me say thanks for ...

I shoplift every day!?
I walk into any store, (about 3 malls every day) take clothes into the dressing room, and stuff like 8 tops into my purse and walk out! How can I ger myselfe to stop??? I dont even have room for any ...

Legalization of Marijuana?
Are you for or against the legalization of marijuana and why?...

Jena six.......?
Why are people, mainly blacks, complaining about the treatment of these six hoodlums? They BEAT a young man, badly. That is assault and battery, plain and simple. What did the white kids do? They ...

What age is it legal to move?
I'm planning on moving to New York as soon as it's legal for me to do so. To be out of my parents grasp, what age is it legal? Is it 16 or 18?
Additional Details
I'm ...

If you found a wallet with $5000 in it and a drivers license would you try to return it?

Will u favour the death sentence by the courts ?
Capital ...

Should the sentence for Paedophiles be castration?
We are all, sadly familiar, with the stories in the media about people who pray (sometimes repeatedly) on children. So as prison / reabilitation does not work should this more drastic method be used?...

Was the united states wrong to nuclear bomb hiroshima and nagasaki?

If you could make up your own law, what would it be?
If you were given the chance to make up three new laws-preferably in the UK, then what would they be. Also they have to be sensible-and benefit all, not just yourself. Thanks!
Additional D...

What rights should prisoners have?
Most people go on about prisoners having too many rights but what do you think they should have?

As an ex-prisoner I think people don't realise how little control and choices you have ...

Should there be a law against being fat?
I think there should be. I believe there should be a law that if your BMI reaches a certain level, you should be arrested and taken to jail where you'll be put on a diet. It would end the ...

Can I be convicted of durnk driving? I made it home but the problem is I did not make it out of the car.?
The cops passed by and seen me half way out of my car laying in my driveway knocked out....

Pat H
Can my landlord walk into my house with out notice?
This is has happened twice. this morning my landlord just randomly unlocked my door and entered my house then knocked on my bedroom door. He wanted to discuss how he wanted me to rake the leaves and that there was no hot water above. He then had the nerve to comment on my cluttererd house ( im a writer) so i have papers and books everywhere, but not debree or mold or discusting fluids spread about. Im tired of this. I should be able to retreat to my house knowing its a safe haven for me to relax. What should i do?

Thanks

Show all answers
Post your answer

amanda J
Rating
The landlords can not come into your place without 24hr notice. Its against the law unless there was an emergency, such as fire, flood, etc. Or if they need to repair something in your place. check out this website for further help

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Brian Reigeford
Rating
He probably can, look at the lease to make sure, but you should also have something like a deadbolt and door chain that can't be opened from the outside, so that while you are at your place or sleeping you can make sure he can't come in on you.

This is why I always set my deadbolt and door chain whenever I am at my place. In this case you can pretend you don't hear him if he is trying to get in.

MEL B.
Common sense tells most of us that you give notice before coming over-and that you don't just walk in using the key!! What if the renter thought it was a burglar and shot him! What if the renter was showering? That is bizarre. But there are always those individuals who feel they are the exception to the rule. I would send a certified letter stating dates and what happened and state that it is an invasion of privacy and in the future you expect 24 hrs. notice. Furthermore, if it does happen again-you will need to move out. Investigate the exact wording from the tenant/landlord act. Keep a copy of the letter and follow thru. Good luck to you!

Cherie B
Rating
According to the Landlord Tenant Act here where I live if you live in a separate dwelling (not in the same house) from the landlord they have to give you 24 hours notice before entering. However if you live in the same place and are renting a room then they really can do whatever they want and you have no rights since you are in their house. I would call someone about it to see what the laws are where you live but I seriously doubt he could just do that. If you contact someone of authority they may be able to help you out with any legal actions that may be required if things become too much of a problem.

Reena
Rating
No he can't - you pay rent and that gives you the right to the full use of the property.
He probably is an "older" gentlemen that just don't have anything else to do other than to check on you, the writer...
Be nice but firm and the next time he shows up on your bedroom door you need to remind him that this is your house and that he can not just walk into your place. While you have the right to call the police... you already know that this action will not make your life at the house any better. Is there any relative of this landlord that you can contact?
Maybe they can help and get him to stop being so nosy...

Another thing you can do... but that will also have consequences.. is to change the front door lock and subsequently lock him out of the house. If he complains... be honest and tell him that you will no longer allow him into the house unless he ask for it and gives you 24 hour notice and a good reason.

I had this problem once... and frankly I gave up and moved.
My landlord was in my apartment snooping around any time she thought I was gone... even when only my car was gone and I was fast asleep in my bed... it creeped me out so much and while they always apologized and mumbled something about hearing "water run" I could never get them to really stop... so I moved.

josho
WHERE ARE YOU? LOL. Cuba? YES. California? No.

I can't tell you about anything else, but for one reason or another I've been every which way with California law, and they very much protect the privacy of renters. If there was an emergency, he could enter. Not to tell you rake the leaves. Absolutely not. And you have the legal right to be present if he does enter, for example to make a routine inspection of the fire alarm, or other saftey issues.

Other than that, you have the right to privacy, even if you lived in a room of the same house. Even if you weren't paying rent. Even if you were no longer wanted and you have no contract, all aspects have some protection.

stinky
Rating
No. When you sign a lease, you have the complete property rights, including the right to exclude others. Even though he technically owns the property he does not have the right to reenter unless you defaulted on your lease first. He can come in to make repairs, etc., but he MUST give you 24 hours notice. He can also come in for an emergency, but raking leaves is definitely not an emergency.

You can sue him for breaching the lease. Just threatening to sue should make him stop, though.

rufus
Rating
your landlord can not walk into your house with out notice except in an emergency ! I rented a house off my father-in-law &he did the same exact thing.

seancrayford
Rating
He can not do that without notice unless, he has big reasons for it like their is drugs inside or something. But even then he would need the police and they would need a warrant.DO not be afraid to confront him about this because, if im right, you can not get kicked out just for the sake of it.:) hope that helps!!

PsyScottic
As a landlord with well over 35 rentals let me just say he has no right coming into your house unannounced. If your paying the rent and it is paid up then he has no right to enter.
I would never enter one of my renters homes unless I had prior consent.
If I were you I would discuss this with him. Let him know you do not appreciate him entering your home. Tell him he can call or knock just like every other visitor. It takes alot of nerve for him to walk in like that.
Next time it happens I would call the local police/sheriffs dept.
I wish you luck in all you do. Peace.

Sound The Stereo
Rating
nope, mr writer should do some reading on the matter... ehh?

TK
Rating
No, he needs your permission and/or consent since you, as tenant, have the exclusive use of the premises you have rented from him absent an emergency that requires the landlord's immediate action.

Consult an attorney if you feel that you cannot lay this legal concept out to your landlord for any reason. Or sue him to establish that he has breached the lease and obtain whatever relief is proper under the circumstances, which might include a restraining order.

You may also want to seek court permission either to add your own inside locks and/or to change the outside locks to ones to which the landlord is prohibited from having access.

I hope you can mediate this peacefully, but there's a better than even chance that that will be impossible.

Good luck.

emilysbs
Rating
Generally, No... he can't. Look up Tenant Rights for your state. Because it really depends on where you live. The rules vary from place to place. But, it is probably a good idea to just inform yourself about all your rights as a tenant. Just because he owns the place does not mean he can do whatever he wants. He has obligations and rules he must follow if he chooses to rent out his place to another person.

You have a right to your privacy.

Nat Y
Rating
No your landlord has no right to go into your house at all. He also is suppose to give you I think at least 24 hours notice if he ever plans to do so. And normally that is to do repairs and stuff. You need to do something about it!

jmi0975
Check your state laws - in most places, they have to give you 24 hours written notice if they intend to enter your place.

karrick23
i dont think so..yeah he's your landlord but i dont think he can just walk in or unlock the door like that..i mean what if you was having sex and he walked in? i would talk to the police about it.

TOTTI#1
Rating
OMG that is horrible. The same thing happened to my girlfriend. Her landlord just would walk in at any time. I would tell him not to come i nto your house anymore. If he does and your not there and you have evidence that he was there call the police and report a break in! That will make him stop

hockeygirl783
Rating
He has no right to walk into your house without 24 hours notice and a reason. (it better be a good one)
You need to check out your local landlord tenant branch. (You should have one)
Good Luck.

Mikey The Comic
Rating
Depends on the laws where you live.
Usually, no. They need to give notice.

URAH8R
Rating
Absolutely not. Tell him in no uncertain terms that this is illegal and will not be tolerated.

Lindsey
For a landlord to be able to walk off into your house they have to give you a full 24 hour notice before they can come into your home. If you pay the rent on time they cannot just barge into your home like that.

nicole b
I know in canada you need to give 24 hrs or 48 hrs notice
and you can't just walk in
You should be able to call someone about that
Landlord and tentant act?
I wouldn't tolerate that

Mr. Goodkat
Rating
Check your state laws, but in Maine they are not allowed to do that.

Josh
No, He cannot do that

Travis B
no. unless you signed a written agreement beforehand... no

donna g
this is illegal! You need to check with your renters association and get the proper course of action.

nomorecapri
Rating
NO way!!!

whatstha'bizness
Rating
no they must post a notice with at least 24 hours notice

Fraggle Rock & Roll
Rating
Nope, this is illegal. They must give you at least 24 hours notice before entering

Alychaa
No he can't. It's an invasion of privacy. If the cops can't he can't either.

bcnu
Rating
No, you have purchased the "exclusive possession" of the premises, although the landlord owns the property. Entering your portion of the leased apartment is criminal trespassing, unless the landlord can prove a defense, such as an emergency or your consent. In many states you can have any trespasser in your property arrested if they have been told to leave.

When I rented in Maryland, I discovered that you can sue the landlord and be awarded a rent abatement (return) for any month in which the landlord did not follow the rules on entering without permission.

Here is a rule of thumb for landlords: If your reason for entering without tenant consent is important enough to break a window, then go ahead a use your key (to avoid unnecessary damage), but be aware that the person inside may be armed, the alarm will go off, the police will arrive and you had better have a better excuse than, "I own this place."

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.154
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy