Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law & Ethics
Legal Discussion Forum

Who thinks marijuana should be legal?
i think alcohol is worst than marijuana yet marijuana is illegal? how many people have you heard died from smoking weed? i haven't heard of any...what do you think legal or illegal?...

I borrowed money but now I think I might be a jerk?
I was talking to my friend about a particularly bad time I was going through with money. I couldn't afford a house payment so he offered to let me borrow $1600.00. I accepted. This was in D...

Shouldn't killing plants be illegal?
Look at the facts. Face it, plants are forms of life too. Yet, everyday, I see hundreds of people of all ages, even those who consider themselves to be moral, good Christians, kill numerous plants ...

When will people learn that guns don't kill people, people kill people?
In reference to the Virginia shootings...
Additional Details
People seem to have reached the wrong conclusion that I'm pro-guns. I'm not. My point is just that until we change ...

Should animals have 'rights?'?
The word "right" (to me) means 'choice.' No, let me go even further: A presumption of innocence (meaning, humility) - what do you think?...

Who would you prefer as a dinner guest paedaphile or dope smoker?
dont bother answering if your gonna be a smart *** im trying to make a point here thank ...

Whats wrong with stealing if the existing distribution of property an wealth is unjust?

Additional Details
First I would like to say that I am pleased with the level of response and I hope more people will continue to share thier opinion.
The above question is ...

"not guilty" and "innocent" - what is the difference?
we just wondered if there was any difference between someone being "innocent" and "not guilty" (in a legal sense)....

The neighbor's dog killed our kitten..?
The inbred neighbors next door went to Texas a week ago... and left all of their animals completely unattended. Their HORSE has been in our yard several times.

Their dogs have been coming ...

Is it not time we made prison a deterent. Basic rooms, no TV, no video games. Basic food and hard work?

My neighbors are so noisy! What am I suppose to do?
My neighbor is so freaking noisy! They play music so loud. We can only hear like the booms booms boom. And this is like the third time this happened. The time limit of how much noise is up to 11pm. M...

If a Pregnant lady gets shot in her Stomach and the fetus dies, why is that considered murder?
Especially when Abortion is ...

Should Americans still be allowed to carry guns after yet another mass shooting?

Why won't the US government ban gun ownership by private citizens?
i understand that it is in the constitution that every man has the right to bare arms,but, surely the american people can see the connection between this and the fact that they have one of the ...

Do Americans carry guns cos they're too scared to fight ?

Should it be law for bike rider to wear helmets?
we're told time and time again by the nanny state what is good for us and they always find a way to tax it. why has it not been made law for cyclelist to wear helmets even if it is for kids ...

If Satan had to work for a living, what job would he have?
Please exclude "lawyer," which we all know is the best answer....

Be honest, if it were legal, would you kill anyone that you really hate?

Yard man steals drinks from my fridge.?
My mom will not fire the yard man, so don't even mention. We've used him for over 10 years. He used to be a cop, chief of police somewhere, so definitely knows right from wrong. He and his ...

Just want to see how many do gooders are out there...?
In the house I used to live in there was this one guy who managed to take the money out of the pay phone and put it back in to call Spain. I had massive arguments with house mates who said it was ...

Abortion rights: Shouldn't men have a choice?
Women keep repeating the phrase "my body, my choice." They forget that they wouldn't have a life within to decide the fate of without the help of a MAN. I don't need to tell you about the egg and the sperm, we should be beyond 6th grade health class.

There are men out there that are truly heartbroken when they find out, usually too late, that their child was murdered. Why don't they have a choice?

Why aren't men standing up for their unborn in the courts, and shouting that they should have rights too?
Additional Details
Funny, how I'm automatically assumed to be male. Don't be so presumptuous. Women DO question abortion, believe it or not.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Micky
The bottom line is that children are the responsibility of the woman who has them. Many times a woman is left to support them on her own so it should ultimately be the womans decision.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Agapito P
To Me: what a stupid analogy, you obviously didn't get the question and don't know s....about life. Compare a boob job with creating a life...what a moron...

Now to the question, unbelievable point of view. I just hope that you are asking this question out of curiosity not because personal experience, but if that's the case, I'm so, so, so, sorry. I know your pain as well as the pain of many that have been ignored or chastised by stereotypes. Trust me, I would have known you before, we would be fighting elbow to elbow against these incredible discrimination reversal.

Tracy
I'm sure the most logical thing is that, most females that get abortions are teenagers that get raped and etc. so most of the males there don't even care, but I'm still like sticking to "my body, my choice".

katjha2005
Rating
I am pro choice, but I agree with you... it should be both person's decision and not just the woman... however.. for the fact that men are not standing up, shows that the majority don't care.. and therefore it won't change until more men stand up and take on the responsibility..

jesse
finally, someone speaks up. i concurred with the idea that men should have a voice in deciding the fate of an unborn child. it takes two to create one... therefore, why should women have the choice to kill it or not... i believe that the child does not deserve to be kill for whom has done no harm to anyone... as a result, men should have their saying in deciding the fate of aborting a child as women because all men and women are created equal (according to the first amendment of the United States of America)... :P

Ruth
Rating
Ideally, both involved should discuss what the next step should be. But, the law is the law !! For some couples ( whether husband & wife or boyfriend & girlfriend ), one person wants to have the baby and the other doesn't. Whether they feel that they're not ready to start a family or are just scared. It is not fair if the female doesn't even tell the other about the pregnancy until after the termination. This has been an ongoing debate and probably will be for a very long time. Needless to say, if the pregnancy is the result of being raped, she has the right to terminate. Men, otherwise, should have a choice. But, the law is the law, whether we like it or not.

soundfamiliar
Rating
Ok i get your point.....to these men.....will they through thick and thin can assure that they will be there for the wife and child....it is one thing to say but to actually commit to such words....these women why dont they trust these men in the first place.....i mean getting an abortion is scary enough and to be quite honest most woman will not want to make that choice unless there is no hope..........Why dont this woman feel like that they have no hope with the father in the first place.........

Most abortion happens and i stress most not all is because the child and the pregnancy would offer to be hardship that the mother cannot endure alone (so where is the father when she is going through all this)......he does not know (why do you think the mother did not tell in the first place, is he not to be trusted to be told, why does the mother lack in the confidence of telling him)

I am sorry i may sound skeptical on the words of such man....i know some have proven to be worthy of their words.....but lets face it nowadays there is not much good man that is left out there (most good man i see are usually married true to their words)

But nevertheless i do admire those men as such you describe and hope to meet and get to know such men more

Kacy H
It is a catch 22.

In order for men to have rights over his child's life, you must first admit that it is a child.

If you admit it is a child, then you are not allowed to terminate the pregnancy because that would be murder.

So by giving men the right to choose, you will be taking away that right to choose.

Mr_realist
Yes. Absolutely, men SHOULD have a choice. But most of today's men aren't men at all. Most of today's men are nothing but sorry a** whimps who are too scared to stand up for their rights. The other thing that I have a problem with is whores who tell men they're taking contraceptives and that they won't get pregnant when they actually are not, and of course they get pregnant to try and trap the men and screw up their lives. Why isn't their a law to stop this BS from happening? Why are women -or I should call them whores- allowed to do that ? This is the absolutely the most disgusting thing a woman can do. If it's the woman's choice to create this miserable baby, why is the man -who's unwittingly used as a sperm donor- why is he held responsible for that bitc-he's decision even though it wasn't his choice to have the baby?

Naturescent
What a great question! The main problem that we have today is that our government does not have a law protecting unborn babies. They are not real babies to the courts until they have been born and can breathe on their own.

This is also why someone who kills an unborn baby in an automobile accident is not held responsible for that life. The court doesn't recognize our smallest of our citizens.

I would sure like to know what they call a baby in an incubator. I would also like to know what differentiates between a preemie who is saved and a preemie who is murdered. How many of these people who murder these babies call themselves Christians?

In my opinion, a father should have the right to know about his child and be a part of the decisions. If the mother chooses not to keep her child, the father should have the right to raise his child.

However, never should anyone who has conceived a child by force be granted any rights in decisions about the child conceived. The mother may choose to give her baby up for adoption if the child was conceived in a rape or incest. The day after pill should be readily available for anyone who has been through this type of trauma.

"For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; marvelous are Your works and that my soul knows well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed, and in Your book they all were written, the days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them." (Psalm 139:13-16, NKJV)

"When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit…[saying] ‘As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.'" (Luke 1:41, 44, NIV)

"Woe to him who quarrels with his Maker, to him who is but a potsherd among the potsherds on the ground. Does the clay say to the potter, 'What are you making?' Does your work say, 'He has no hands?' Woe to him who says to his father, 'What have you begotten?' or to his mother, 'What have you brought to birth?' This is what the LORD says—the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker: Concerning things to come, do you question Me about My children, or give Me orders about the work of My hands?" (Isaiah 45:9-11, NIV)

"Behold, children are a gift of the LORD; the fruit of the womb is a reward." (Psalm 127:3, NASV)

LDS~Tenshi~
I find it sad that women feel they have the right to kill someone Else's child.

Yoda's Duck
In a pregnancy, what is a woman risking? Yes, the field of obstetrics has made huge progress in the last 150 years, but do you know what the leading cause of death among women was back then?... It sure wasn't cancer or heart disease... Childbirth still causes death occasionally.

In a pregnancy, what is a man risking?... Well, I guess you're right- a guy can die from a pregnancy, but only if the woman's father or brother(s) gets involved.

I agree that the father of the unborn should have a say in the matter, but as pro-choicers say, it is her body and her life that is monumentally affected.

PS--
No, I'm not saying that I support abortion- in fact, I don't-- Sure, choices are important, so important that I think the baby should have some of them, as well!

One comment that I'd like to add to the issue of child support being required of a father... If a father chooses, he can relinquish his paternal rights- this basically gets him out of being responsible for anything, but it also gives him no claim on time with the child. I guess it's a legal version of the medical procedure... legally severing ties to the child.

jack-copeland@sbcglobal.net
Rating
This is one of the major arguments with abortion. Courts are not know for their speed. If a woman informs a man she is pregnant, and desiring an abortion, there is not enough time to argue this in court. Hence, the man has no rights.

The man has no rights until the child is born. At that time, the woman can petition for child support. They are not required to be married. He can be held responsible for medical bills pertaining to the pregnancy. In Texas, if a man misses child support payments, the state will locate the man and throw him in jail. Depending what the court allows, the man may have visiting rights. But, if the woman moves to another town, then the visitation rights may not have to include over night visits. God forbid the rights of a man if the woman moves to another state.

But, what can we do? Courts move to slowly to stop an abortion. If the courts were to accelerate these cases, then they would have to pass laws about when the woman has to notify the father. All we need is a bunch of more laws.

I honestly do not see a solution to this.

Don C
Great Question:

The fact that men do not have a say in the choice is because of a law that was passed by the Supreme Court and not that of a legal bill put forth by Congress and then signed by any president is the reason(Rowe v. Wade). Way was this one and only law passed by the Supreme Court and never by Congress. I always thought that a law must first be a bill sent to the Hill for congress to pass and then the president to sign and then turned to law. The Supreme Court this one time decided that they would make a presidence in this one case and turn it to law before any one elected offical had a chance to look at or even say anything one way or the other about it.

When they did this it left room enough to Drive a Semi-Truck through; sence then there have been over 1000 amendments added to it and NOT ONE of them that says a man has a Right to say that they would be a willing parent.

It has been taken back to the Supreme Court by men that have said that their rights a father have been infrenged upon and each time has been throwen out because the courts both lower and the higher court say's father (expecting fathers) have NO say in what a woman dose with their bodies.

But today congress will pass amendments to the law but will not say that the law was brought forth by the Supreme Court without the congresses OK first.

Corrector Inspector
Rating
im not sure i know very much about this but
if the guy wants to be sole responsible for the child the mother should consider. maybe there can be somekind of lawfal agreement that the dad will take care of all the babys need after it has come of the mother is willing to agree. the mom doesnt have to see or have nehting to do with the child, she can sing off her rights to it. but if the dad wants ot and wants to share the responsability but the mother doesn't then the mother should have the right to not have the baby.
i think peoples life have so many variations that its hard to make a decition like this for evryone

jezbnme
Rating
you have a very valid arguement as it does take two but the one thing that gives the woman the right to choose is because it IS her body and noone should tell her that she "must" do this or that to it and that includes carrying a child for 9 months. giving birth etc.
it would be "forcing" her to alter her body and her life for a minimum of 9 months. longer if she raises the baby as well. for the men yes it is your child but your life is not going to change with her choice of abortion. your emotions might but your life will not.

also a very good reason to always know who you are sleeping with and what their views are on the subject. if you don't agree before hand then your headed for heartbreak.

jason b
Neither men nor women should have a choice. It's not their life they are ending.

plhudson01
the man who fathered the child should have a big say so in the choice to end a pregnancy

Bobba Shanika
Rating
Wonderful, wonderful question. Either way you look at it, I don't believe in abortion (I could've been the baby, and I enjoy my life, ty very much). But they should 100% have the choice.

brian_0680
Rating
Men should have rights as well but ROWE VS. Wade eliminated any rights to the father.Granted the woman would be going through the hardships of carrying a child but if the woman did not want children she should of used birth control.And that is the reality of todays world men are obsolete when it comes to parental rights.

Tom K
Rating
If they would but enter into it BEFORE conceiving a child, there is a legally binding contract that would afford a man equal say in the fate of his unborn child. It is the Contract of Marriage. One should not blame the women or the courts just because so many men are more afraid of this contract than the consequences of not having it in place.

coragryph
Rating
Men do have a choice. They have a choice not to contribute their sperm.

Most people misunderstand the entire abortion debate.

The woman's choice is NOT what happens to the unborn. Her choice is what SHE does with her body. There is a difference.

Nobody can be compelled to donate blood, or an organ, or bone marrow against their will. Not even to save the life of another person, not even their child. The choice to give of your body is always your choice.

If there was medical technology that allowed embryoes to be taken out of the mother after week 2 and raised in an artificial incubator, then the only choice the mother would have is whether the embryo stayed within her or was raised in the incubator. She has no right to take action against the unborn to terminate its life. What she does have is the right to refuse being part of the process by refusing to provide life support from her own body.

That's why men have no say after the pregnancy has started. They are not providing any life support or anything else from their body to continue the pregnancy. So, after their initial contribution, they have no choice.

Just like in the case of a surrogate. The biological parents have no right to terminate the pregnancy of a surrogate, even though they contributed the biological material to create the embryo. Why? Because they are not giving of their bodies to continue the pregnancy, so their refusing to do so has no effect on the process.

Starting a pregnancy requires two people -- the sperm donor and the egg donor. Continuing a pregnancy requires two people -- the host/mother and the embryo/fetus. At any point, any one of the people involved can refuse to be involved further.

st_louis_cardsfan
I like your question. I wish there was no choice at all but if giving the father a choice may help I am for it. Maybe it would stop some of the abortions but how many 16 year old boys are gonna step up and say "don't have an abortion, I will help you raise your baby"? How many guys that have one night stands with women they meet at a nightclub will say "don't have an abortion, I will help you raise the baby"? I say the choice that needs to be made is the CHOICE OF SEXUAL INTERCOURSE. If you don't want to have a baby, don't have sex.

billnzan
I have a grown son who could easily have been lost that way. Most of the legal focus was on Mom's rights. Maybe a few would have proposed that I had some rights. But nothing legal focused on HIS rights.

Obviously he has rights now, but he didn't seem to back then. But I believe he had the right not to be sacrificed just because his mom & I made mistakes. Nothing legalistic protected his rights in any way. He lives today due only to basic powers of persuasion. I'm glad he's here (even if he might occasionally cancel my vote at the polls.)

Jeff A
Excellent point. Obviously the tiny body within a woman is not her body he or she is a separate person. Half of all lives ended in abortion are male, is it right that men are excluded from debate on the issue? If a woman chooses to terminate, the man has no recourse. If she decides to have the baby, the man is forced to pay support for 18 years. We are terribly inconsistent and unfair.

Nikki M
Finally a man who has real balls to ask that question publicly! It takes two to tango and if one wants to take the responsibility and not the other I think his voice should be heard.

pooterilgatto
Rating
They have both made a choice already. When that child was conceived out of wedlock. What you are seeing are the consequences of the mistake both have made in the first place. The Choice they both should make is to get married and raise that child, together. Amen

HuggieSunrise
There can be no reasoning for someone to hold dominion over another. In law there is an increasingly high amount of child custody but vary few instences where there is custody determined before the birth of a child unless there is a court ruling.

The moral consecuances of forcing someone through 9 months of what they do not want to do would probably but the child at risk anyway.

Your idea of rights are literally (in law terms) a slavery edict.

Rather then depend on the courts to destroy your relationship with your wife or girlfriend perhaps you should make sure that both of you have the same desires and goals when it comes to children and therefore completely circumvent the issue all together?

Proud to be an AMERICAN
I exercise the only choice the law gives me: to think twice before having sex with any woman, and to realize that a baby may result.

I don't make the rules. I just adapt to the situation in which I find myself.

Raven
Rating
I think there have been several cases where the man wanted to force the woman to carry to term and they lost. The courts decided they cannot force a woman to be pregnant for nine months. I feel sorry for the men who want their babies but God made it so that women carry the baby.

Nugatory
Rating
Because men are well known for their ability to turn their backs on their offspring when things get too hard / uninteresting.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, October 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy