Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Do you have to have the actual driver's license on you when driving?
I heard that you just need to memorize your license number or have some form of id so that a cop can look you up. true? no?...

How fast do you have to go before???
How fast do you have to go before you get a speeding ticket...For example if you go 33mph on a 30mph will the officer give you a ticket...I know if you go 55mph on a 30mph you will get a ticket????...

Why do we HAVE to wear seatbelts?
Look at this, is there a law BANNING smoking because it kills you silently? NO. So people know its bad and it kills, yet they do..COPS, SENATORS and BEGGARS alike. So why does campaigns like "C...

Why do the police department think that they are above the law??
It seems that people choose a career in the police department,not just for a secure job ,but to be above the law itself ,you know the type i mean-they walk around like john wayne with their hand ...

Who is the coolest cop ever on tv or movies?
The one you would want walking the streets with you and who would have your back....

For those who carry handguns professionally, preferences of SA or Rev.??
I'm just curious for feedback from Police, Security, or anyone who carries a handgun professionally.
I know many have a strong preference for Semi-Autos, but I'd like to know why.

Which states have the least gun restrictions?

Does anyone here think that guns will ever be illegal in the US?

Am I being Swindled?
My friend gave me a ride to the airport and on her way back she hit a car. According to her it was a minor scratch barely even there but she either has to pay 442$ which she says she does not have or ...

How many years in prison??
i know someone who has hired someone to kill an ex husband, how many years in jail will she get???...

How long does the neighbours dog have to bark before i can shoot .....err report it?

Additional Details
joking apart this thing can go all day sometimes gets right on my ...

Can you drive with your shirt off?
As a male lifeguard, in the summertime, I always drove home without a shirt on. People always said that I could be pulled over and given a ticket for that. I understand why it would be illegal for ...

When was the last time you got pulled over?

Do cops just want the 8 hours and not make a difference?
are there good cops out there? it seems some cops just want their paycheck but really don't make a difference. gangs are out of control here in los angeles, but the problem is not solved. ...

Police chiefs are very stupid, why not?

Additional Details
Police are making ...

Do you know a Copper that isn't bent, (and not related to you)?

I'm back from jail...why do people think i deserved to go to jail?

Do we live in a police state (UK) or do you think it ever could become one?
Consider for example the smoking ban, counter-terrorism, ID cards and positive discrimination....

Why can't police shoot unarmed people in the leg or something?
the police here have shot and killed another unarmed mentally ill person to my knowledge thats four so far in as many years
Additional Details
yes we do have tazers,... and i am an ex ...

Who is most often murdered?
What is the most common name for murder victims?

Your source?...

Rubberduck
What exactly is hearsay evidence?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Antea
Rating
Can not be substantiated (Verified) by other "proof". It is just someone's word

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Brandon
Hearsay evidence is when an attorney say, "Oh my client says she heard mary did it". The other attorney can say " is mary here, if not i object on hearsay" or somthing like that.

Tentative1
Exactly what it says on the tin..hearsay, not admissable in a court of law!

Sam X9
It is an allegations stated without proof. A gossip which is to be proven true.

NICOLA K
Rating
I heared that its just what someone had said

charleymac
A statement made otherwise than by a person giving evidence in court. For example, the person giving evidence saying:
'I heard XXX say he did it'

It used to be inadmissable in the civil court (in the UK) but now it is admissable with certain exceptions and won't be given as much 'weight' (ie taken as seriously) as first hand evidence.

Sam's
Rating
only what you heard from other people not what you have seen yourself

vasag2003
Third Party Speech

butterfly55freedom
Rating
Hearsay is what rumour has stated or if you say someone told you something in the pub but that person was not there to testify it would be hearsay

Mr. Mister
Rating
Depending on the State you are in. Hearsay is permissible in small claims court. That's strictly up to the Judge per case.

It is a "JD" code. Judges Discretion.

solange
Rating
an out of court statement made by a nonparty to the lawsuit, it is not admissible, ex: "my friend told me he was cheating on me". You can't say that on the stand.

LoveBug6912
Rating
Here are some informative sites on it. Good Luck!

SoCal Attorney
This definition comes form California Evidence Code Section 1200:

"'Hearsay evidence' is evidence of a statement that was
made other than by a witness while testifying at the hearing and that
is offered to prove the truth of the matter stated."

The general rule is that you cannot testify as to what someone else said...that person must testify. The basic premise is that it is more reliable to get the first hand testimony. There are exceptions to the rule.

mike g
Rating
hearsay is third party, like you heard someone did something. it hardly stands up in court

Epicarus
Pretty much what is says. Someone hears it, then says it. You can think of it as second hand witnessing. As an example, say you have a friend who witnessed a murder and that friend told you. Say that mentioned friend dies. You go and testify in his place, you're hear-saying...

Electric
The words you here from one person cannot be given as evidence in a court of law to prove the content of the statement. If I am a witness, I cannot give an evidence that ' xyz said that he saw the killer at the spot', which is treated as here say evidence. This will not be admitted in the court.

vogelshock
"Hearsay" is any statement made outside of court that is offered in court to prove the truth of the facts being asserted in the statement.

An example: A man named Robert is on trial for murder. The prosecution calls a woman to the stand and she testifies that she overheard the victim at a coffee shop tell a friend that "Robert is trying to kill me" one week before she was murdered. This statement is hearsay because it is 1) a statement made outside the court, and 2) the statement is being offered to prove the truth of the matter being asserted. The matter being asserted is that Robert was trying to kill the woman. But, simply saying that "Robert is trying to kill me" isn't enough to prove that Robert was actually trying to kill the woman. Therefore, that statement is Hearsay.

The difference between hearsay and admissable out-of-court-statements: The above statement is hearsay because it is being used to prove that Robert was, in actuality, trying to kill the woman. However, the statement would likely be admissable if, instead of being used in trying to prove that Robert was murderous, it was instead being used as a basis for some subsequent behavior. For example, Let's say that in a new scenerio the woman is the one on trial for murdering Robert. Her defense team calls the same witness to the stand and that same witness testifies that she overheard the woman say "Robert is trying to kill me." Fruther, let's imagine that shortly after the woman on trial makes this comment, she sees Robert on the street, and shoots him dead. The defense now wants to show that the woman on trial was afraid for her life, and was therefore justified in killing Robert when she saw him and, presumably, thought he was going to kill her. In this example, the statement "Robert is trying to kill me" isn't being used to prove that Robert was actually trying to kill the woman, rather, it is being used to establish the subsequent behavior of the woman, e.g., her shooting Robert. The statement is not hearsay because it is NOT trying to prove the truth of the matter being asserted. It is only being used to explain the subsequent behavior of woman, e.g. shooting Robert because she was afraid for her life.

A final point: It is important to understand that out-of-court-statements are only hearsay if those statements are trying to prove the truth of the matter being asserted in those statements. And, even if a statement is found to be hearsay, there are many exceptions to the "hearsay rule," whereby the court can still weigh the hearsay statements as evidence. For example, statements made against the interest of the parties to the court case, excited utterances, and statements made when the declarant believes his/her death is imminent can all be exceptions that allow the court to use the hearsay statements as evidence. Finally, written or electronic communications are considered "statements" just as much as their verbal counterparts. A letter containing the comments "Robert is trying to kill me" would be just as inadmissable as a vocal declaration, assuming, of course, that both statements were being used to prove that Robert was actually trying to kill someone.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy