Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

 What is the term for when a cop tricks you into incriminating yourself?

 In the UK what is the longest a paedophile can be sent to prison for?

Additional Details
god guys.. im not facing prison.. im 15 years old and am in court next week prosecuting a 'p'. Don't just to conclusions :)...

 Who shot the sheriff?

 Will i lose my job cause i been caught stealing an onion from outside a asian store?
hi, last week me and my mates went on a booze up , we been drinking since the night before and by the time it was 4 pm we were all mostly totaly pist,anyway when we left the pub we decided to go home ...

 Does anyone know the law surrounding someone who makes death threats against another person?
What action can be taken against someone who makes death threats?
Additional Details
The threats are in writing and I am in the UK....

 I saved a driver from a speeding ticket today - am I a hero?
I was driving along a road in a 30-limit with a car in front of me. Both doing 40mph, perfectly safely. I knew there was a mobile speed camera ahead so I flashed the car several times, pointing to ...

 Why was i refused entry to the police force?
I recently applied to join the police and failed. The excuse given was the home office guidelines on tattoos. As far as i am aware non of mine are offensive. I have comleted 8 years a military ...

 Is it legal for an officer to use his partners badge in order to make a arrest?
Is this acceptable in the eyes of the law. The officer drops his partners badge on a desk and starts to read the suspect his Miranda rights. When the suspect stops the officer in protest and request ...

 Why aren't gang activities classed under terrorist activity?

 When you get pulled over by a cop and they ask to search your car what happens if you say they cant?

 Whats the difference between and snitch and a witness?
Whats the difference between a snitch and a witness? Essay question asked by one of my professors in response to the "Stop Snitching" campaign...just wanted some opinions to go on......

 UCLA taser incident. Especially the one threatening bystander to taser too. Abuse of power???

 I own a car that my Mother has been driving, she has both sets of car keys.?
I'm going to go take the keys & the car( she's going to be pissed). I'll have the title with me. Any idea what will happen if she calls the police?
Additional Details

 Shannon Matthews is alive!! Have you heard??
she was found in a 39 year olds mans house a mile away.. neighbours reported sounds of a child running around in the house to the police.. the police burst into the house and found the littl girl in ...

 Is that true that, in US, Civilians has rights to have arms without license?
Is that true that, in US, Civilians has rights to have arms without license?...

 I stole a UFO at Area 51 and now I cant land it. What should I do? How do I bring it down?
Im so worried. I cant get this thing to land and im in outerspace now. I think i just went pass saturn because it has a ring around it.

I pressed some buttons in the UfO and it only ...

 Police drivers think they're a law unto themselves? ?
It is getting more common seeing police cars being driven erratically often without audible and visual warning devices being used. Should we always note and report the rego numbers direct to senior ...

 Where does a burglar look for things to steal in a house?
I was told they look first on top of the wardrobe in the master bedroom as most people think this is a 'safe' place. But what places do they tend not to look. I once kept money in my ...

 If i am a first time felony can i get a firearm permit?

 Still about Americans&weapons!?
I was asking if you Americans (I'm Italian) would ever give up weapons and I had this answer from this user
My ancestors found out the hard way what happens ...

Ticket for wrong address on license, should I fight it?
Im a college student who moves alot and cant afford to just change my license address every month plus it takes up to 4-6 weeks to recieve your license once its ordered? Should I fight this and take a trial with a jury rather then paying a ticket and just accepting the charge? I was penalized for being honest.

Show all answers
Post your answer

Are you serious? It's that much of an issue if the new address ain't on the liscense? In that case, I'm damn 9 months late...***.................

Anyhow, who the hell wrote you the ticket? Did you get pulled over for speeding, but they let you off w/ a warning and decided to write up THAT instead? What a dick. And ya, it sounds like a hassell for a new lisence. They never told me to order a new one before, but to get some official tiny paper and write the lousy address on it and keep it in wallet. WOW. lame.

Note: I just looked at the CA DMV site...it's 10 days, not 30. You can print the form from online though and mail it in and keep one in your wallet. Unless you're not in CA...look at your state DMV site.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I would challenge this since members of the military and college students frequently use there home on records address. Sounds like a bored and stupid cop. Law enforcement officers should learn to use a little common sense. They give good officers a bad name. Good luck!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Raven E
Although it may be unfair to you, you are guilty.
pay the ticket. If you think it will cause your insurance to go up, go to court, most will let you take a traffic safety class and keep the ticket off your driving record.

I'd suggest you get a P.O. Box address and use that.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Ree J
i would... I didn't even know they give tickets for that... but yeah u should fight it... that's ridiculous

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

In some states, you can indeed have a jury trial. I was some years ago called to serve on jury duty in Iowa, and one case involved a woman who had turned around on the Interstate, where the big sign says no turning around except by emergency vehicles. This was a traffic violation and she had a jury trial, and she was convicted by her jury. She felt it was unfair because "everyone" turns around there. Alas, for her, all her jury members said in deliberations they never turned around there, because the regulatory sign said not to, and they didn't want to get a ticket.

Yeah, this cop was a real jerk, perhaps looking for an excuse to write you for something for some reason, such as showing an attitude. But, it's not a good idea to contest something when you know you are guilty of the offense. In Iowa, instead of the regular $50 fine, that woman not only had to pay $100 fine, plus a very large court cost for her fight.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

you can but you won't win

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I would pay the Ticket. I learned the hard way also. I then called the DMV and found out that I can e-mail them with a change of address and it works for my license and vehicles. On paper it shows your old address but when they run your DL or plates it shows you updated with the DMV. Best Of Luck.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You will lose and may incur a larger fine by fighting it. You MUST update your liscense within 30 days of any changes.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

The law is the law. Why fight what you already know was illegal? Why do you move every month? I could see moving once a year... plus, if you're a college student you should just keep your home address on your license. If you are a student, you aren't a resident of that state/address but of your parents home. Wouldn't that make life a whole lot simpler?

And, I know in at least three different states new licenses are $15 and take all of 20 minutes (includes line time) to get.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

just change the info on your license the judge may throw it out but be prepared to pay the fine

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You can't plead innocent with extenuating circumstances. The law is black and white. Either you failed to change your address in the allocated time, or you didnt.
The reason for the law may seem stupid to you, or inconvenient. However, it is the law.
BTW, as a traffic violation, you will not be able to get a jury trial. Those are reserved for criminal offenses, so the judge will find you guilty, as soon as you admit that you broke the law.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Sorry Mike..........you appear to be stuck....good luck.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

mike g
just pay the ticket

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You could contest it. Unlikely you will get a jury for a simple ministerial ticket. Depends on local law, but you could go to traffic court and tell a judge. They may give you time to correct it and waive the fine.
However, you have to change it if local law requires it.
I fight tickets (parking/speeding) all the time and almost always win. People don't realize that you can fight them and a lot of the time the issuing oficer doesn't even show up.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

I don't know what state your in but in NC if you change your license with the correct address before your next court date then the ticket will be dropped. If this is not an option where you live then pay the fine it would cost you more to fight it.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You cannot do anything about it. I am the same way as you though, I move a lot. I got a PO Box address and it is on my license. When you do this they will still ask you for a physical address too, and I just used my moms address since I know she will always be there.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Just pay the ticket. If you fight it your gonna end up paying more in court costs and attorney fees, than what the ticket was even for. Just take it as a learning experience. Put a family members address that won't be moving, and when you get pulled over, DON'T tell the cop you live at a different address.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

The law is the law. You must follow it. If it states you must change your address, then you should. Have you checked out the law for this. When you are honest sometimes it don't pay. But you will always have integrity. Good for you for being honest. It does pay off in the long run. God Bless and Good Luck

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Get it paid. You can afford to move every couple of months so pay the fine.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Mr. Morden
4-6 weeks to change address? I live in Florida and when I do that on the Internet I get the new license in less than a week.
If the law where you live give a specific time period for changing your address, say 30 days, and you have gone beyond that, then you have no basis on which to fight the ticket.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

To bad. The law states you must correct your address within 30 days of moving.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, July 30, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy