Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

I'm 6'5 and 333lbs, If a cop is push down a flight of stairs and there were a group of people there, can he >
blame me for it or press charges....

What is the most shocking or evil thing you have ever seen?
I was driving a giant old 1955 Mack Wrecker back to St. Pete one dark night. Up ahead was a Highway Patrol car with a big black Lincoln pulled over. I saw the patrolman and a big black guy between ...

I got arrested and the cops didnt read me my rights? what can i do?
i got arrested and the cops didnt read me my rights until we got to the police station what can i do? This is what is says on the police report POSSESSION OF COCAINE 15 GRAMS TO 100 GRAMS. I AM INNOCE...

Why do the police decide they want to run their mouths when they get you in cuffs?
Is it some kind of technique or do they want to make it personal?
Additional Details
Im not hating. Just a question, if its a technique then cool and if not we'll get personal. D...

If during a search warrant for Stolen TV drugs are found. Do police officers need another search warrant 4 Dru?
During a search warrant for stolen t.vs drugs are found. do the cops need another search warrant to legally obtain them?...

Why aren't the police catching more taggers (graffiti artist)? They are costing the City & State millions.

What would happen to me if I ratted on a crooked cop ?

Additional Details
hypothetically speaking

I.E. just wondering .......

If a cop is speeding, can I speed too?
Like if a cop with no sirens is going 60 mph on a 50 mph street, can I follow him without fear of him turning on the sirens and pulling me over?

Cause you know, it's like...you tell ...

Have you ever stolen anything?
why did you steal it?...

Can I get a DUI for riding an electric scooter drunk on the sidewalk in Denver?
My cousin's house is about a mile down the street from mine and lot's of the time when we hang out we have a couple of beers. My son just got a new electric scooter and I was wondering if I...

What percentage of people in jail are innocent?

Can you be fined for not displaying a tax disc?
My boyfriend renewed his tax online but failed to change it over. So, although he has upto date tax the disc diplayed in the car is out of date. Is this an offence? Does anyone know what the fine ...

Why is so much emphasis placed on speeding?
It's obvious that there are much more serious offenses committed on our roadways...one's that are much more responsible for killing people everyday. ie:crossing lines, improper lane ...

What punishment should police recieve for arresting people for marijuana?

What do you think of UK police force?
Do you think british people should be proud of it? and do you think they are doing their job well?...

When can police use deadly force?
Obviously if an innocent life is in immediate danger, but what other circumstances give a police officer the right to use deadly force? Can an officer ever use deadly force if a subject is running ...

Non violent drug offenders, incarceration or rehabilitation?

I was convicted of a felony can i become a cop?
I was 17 when i was convicted of Possesion of class D with intent to dist, and possesion of class B with intent to distribute, Im 18 now and i have been clean from drugs since i was put on probation, ...

What are the chances of beating a speeding ticket?
56 in a 40 MPH. I was going the same speed as the van infront of me and the car to my side...why didnt we all get a ticket?
Additional Details
how much is it for speeding in los angeles, ...

If you steal drugs for your personal use, would you be charged with theft?
Like if you take a dealer's drugs, can you be charged with theft?
Additional Details
I am talking about illegal drugs like ...

lily
On what grounds can you press charges on someone?
if someone threatens to hit you and your car with a metal object can you 'press charges' ???

what if theres no proof or evidence apart from your own word?

Show all answers
Post your answer

someone out there
Rating
You need to contact your co attorney and see if you have enough to press charges or at least summons the person to court. You may also want to look into getting a restraining order against them.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Kimberley
You can battle it out on courts, Where has the incident happened?
Have you asked around to see if there are any witnesses.
Alot of cases these days like rape do not have enough evidence that is why it is hard to convict. However what the person has done is classed as assault you can give it a go.
Good luck tho

Pickle
I spose you could call the police and say you have threatened...they would probably question the person who made the treat and that's it really unless they admit it. If you do this and then something else happens it will be better for building up a case as it would be on record that they threatened you in the past and then things could be taken more seriously. There is no harm in talking to the police, they will advise you of the actions to take.

sailor
Best wait till they hit you, then you have them.

kaneselo
if someone is threatining you, like this you cannot arrest them " press charges" they have to have first the intent and action, so they have to commit the crime in order for you to do something however if this is happening you can advise the police of this and they will help prevent anything from happening.

infinite crisis 247
i would make the complaint to the authorities, so that you have a framework in case you have to file a personal protective order later. however, without proof or witnesses, very little chance that anything further will happen to the person.

Philbomoog
The term 'press charges' is one often mis-used in the UK and come from watching too many US TV programmes.

In the UK, you would make an allegation to the police who would investigate the allegation on your behalf. The evidence in this case would consist of your written statement and the responce of the accused which would be obtained by interviewing him/her either under arrest or as a voluntary attender.

Independant witnesses, if there are any, may give statements.

The accused is under no obligation to answer any question put to them, so in this case the evidence may consist solely of your word.

The evidence would then be presented to the Crown Prosecution Service who would make a decision to prosecute based on;
1. The seriousness of the offence
2. The likelihood of a succesful prosecution
3. Would it be in the public interest to prosecute

You (the victim) play no part in this decision making process.

Based on the information you have given
1. Its not a serious offence (although you may think so)
2. Theres little chance of winning in court (unless the accused admits the offence)
3. Its not in the public interest because it affects nobody but you

The Crown would take no further action.
You have the option of taking out a private prosecution and paying for the whole procedure yourself.

arbiter
Difficult to prove but if you thought he was really about to hit you could be asault

Chris H
Rating
as someone else has said if there is no proof then they cannot be charged, if it was word of mouth and you worry for your safety then u can advise the police of this and they will make a note of it. however if u know the person threatening and have been texted or he has written down this threat then that can be some evidence.

Heather's mom
Even if there's no proof that someone threatened you, you might want to report something like this to the authorities, just in case something does happen to you or your car. Of course, the person being accused could come back and say you damaged your own car, but it's unlikely you'd clobber yourself with a metal object.

Get it on the record if you think the threat was real. Take a short trip to your local police station and talk with them.

blakenyp
In the case you have described no, there is nothing illegal about such a threat UNLESS the threat is credible and imminent. If the guy had a tire iron in his hand and was three feet from you you could knock his head off. But if he just says, "someday I might want to hit your car with something hard" then no. By the way, since this is after the fact and he didn't actually attack you or your property there is no charge to press. Obviously the threat was an emptry one.

jed slade
Forget about it,but keep your eye on them and wait for the main chance.In my world,those who make threats have to sleep with one eye open.

Spiny Norman
Rating
for your future protection, write down all the details and inform the police.

*~lil~* ttc#1
Rating
no chance without proof but you can tell the police then if it does happen they might take you more seriously

Frost
Rating
if there is no proof or evidence then you have no chance, your word against theres will not be enough

glamour
Rating
I would imagine this would be very hard to press charges without proof . Someone has to actually hurt you leaving marks or everyone would be getting people nicked all the time.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, April 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy