Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Do you have to go 2 college to be a cop????

If you found a wallet in the parking lot what would you do?
What have you done before?
Keep the money and return the wallet in their mailbox?

BTW the wallet contains $450.00
Additional Details
I'm happy to hear that most ...

Paris Hilton and her jail sentence?
She has been sentenced to 45 days a California Correctional Facility. She cries about it and says that she was treated unfairly because of who she is. I think that is bullshit-she has had such an ...

Should I notify the police?
my ex boyfriend keeps sending me letters even though I've sent them back. If I get another letter, should I just return it, or can I go to the police? Can I call the police, or will I need to ...

Are judges too lenient with gun crimes?
the laws seemed to protect the criminal, there is a mandatory sentence of 5 years for carrying a gun, one reported saying that the person carrying the may not have used it, that judge should have ...

Caught swapping price tags?
I know it was stupid but here goes: I was at a Marshalls (in California) and I swapped the tags on a clearance item with a non clearance item. The total difference was like $4. Loss prevention caught ...

Is it a crime to deliberately or knowingly write bad checks?
and is there a difference between an individual doing so versus a corporation?...

How can you get a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt?
In Louisiana this is actually an offense! Yeah we all know seatbelts save lives but if people choose not to wear one its their own choice. They are not endangering anyone else. I think the government ...

Can bad credit inhibit you from joining the police force?

Additional Details
crap i did mean prohibit

dunce level = 56...

I was arrested for possesion of cocaine, please help, I don't know what to do!?
Here's the facts:
1) I was pulled over for not having front plates, arrested for having a suspended license (not paying a ticket), police office searched my car and found 10 grams of ...

Do you think we should give up our guns in the U.S.?
I'll leave this open for all....

Why do people kill and commit murder?
Its so stupid to kill people. So why do people do it. I watch Court TV and all these crazy people, what are they thinking? I see people kill their wives for life insurance. You know your going to ...

Does this count as harrassment and should i report her?
so my friend amber went out with this guy brian, but she didnt now he was still with is old gf jess, so jess and her friends were bugging and yelling at amber so i told them to back off , most of ...

If guns where outlawed say 10 years ago, do you think that Virginia Tech could still happen?
Or something similiar?...

Do cops have to get tazered?
Iv heard that new cops need to be peper sprayed so they know what it feels like. that way they dont go around macing people all the time.
I was wondering if cops also had to be tazered so that ...

We are placing 6K people along the border with no weapons and no power, does that make them greeters?

Is brandishing a toy gun illegal??
i mean really? it had an orange tip and everything.... yea i got arrested and now i have court but come on, what if it was a little kid, say 9 yrs old who pointed his toy gun at a pedestrian... would ...

What is your opinion on police brutality?
My opinion is this. i'm no fan of police brutality, nor do i like the idea of police state or whatever conspirators are cooking up nowaday. but hey, lets not throw violent words at each other, ...

Neighbor is smoking crack and prostituting in her apartment what can the police do?

Who has the harder job a politician or a cop?

GINAS MAN
My car was broken into will the police take prints?
My car was broken into last week and a very important laptop with all my info. was taken Is there anyway the police can take prints from my car to track the thief down and how long will it take?

Show all answers
Post your answer

curvy_3231
if you pay them enough they will, whether they are supposed to or not. police are funny that way offer them money and they do what you want.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

LabRat
Rating
Dude's right. Cops'll check it out at best, maybe make a report, and walk.

Mr. PhD
no. and even if they did, they would go no where.

minitrail70
Nope... Fingerprints will not be colected.

You will probably NEVER see the missing contents again.

jxt299
Wow, I don't think they have time. They have the War On Drugs to occupy their time. And murders, perversion, tons of stuff. They didn't have time to take prints when my car got stolen but maybe you will be luckier.

qman
Rating
They won't take prints and your stuff is gone for good. Hopefully you have a backup.

beachbum
Rating
If your in my town,they won't the police here do as little as possible,unless it is one of their own who's car got broken in to. you should check the pawn shops it might turn up there,I am sorry for your loss.

Dave
Rating
Probably not. Unfortunately in most larger cities they won't even come out if it's stolen any more, you have to just file a report. Sucks I know, but they have bigger fish to fry most of the time ... or is it dough nuts?

TONY S
They probably would not do that.
If you provide them with the serial number of the laptop, they will check all the local pawnshops to see if it has come in.

wfsgymwear
Rating
Most departments only take prints for crimes against persons. However, it does sound like a Felony case. I would check with the department. Why are you wasting time asking us and not the local authorities?

MSAD
Rating
When my truck was broken into - I called the cops as soon as I discovered it and they came to the scene and took finger prints. But - I called them right away before anything had been moved or touched. Turns out the bad guys wore gloves. The police were able to recover the texture of the glove - but no prints. The thief did cut himself and a small amount of blood was left on the interior trim panel. They did collect that as well. Of course, for that to do them any good - they have to have a suspect to match the blood to.

Since your vehicle was broken into a week ago - I don't think it would do any good to take prints at this point. You should have called as soon as you discovered the theft.

Robert W
Rating
When my car was broken into, there were very obvious prints, and the police officer that arrived on scene did NOT take prints.. Later, I drove to the police station, and they took prints, but no good came of it.. They probably just threw them out when they got into the building. Petty stuff like breaking into cars isn't on the top of their investigative list is what I've found. Still, it can't hurt to try.

pinksk8ergal
Rating
It depends. Sometimes there are no prints to be taken because many times your car wasn't the only one they hit and they were "smart" enough to wear gloves. The hard part about solving those types of crimes is even if they get prints, it doesn't necessarily mean that the suspect's prints have been entered into the national database (AFIS) so that the owner of the prints can be identified anyway. If the cat's got a clean record, until he really messes up, there is no record of his prints anywhere to match them with. And -- for all you CSI fans out there -- no, the crime labs DON'T work that quickly and many of the tests and machines they have on the show are fictional. Here in reality land, it can take months to get results back. A word of advice though, keep track of all of your serial numbers on any property that has them -- they can be entered into the national system when property is stolen. Then hopefully, if your stuff turns up, they'll know who it belongs to.

Katie
Very very rarely. Its like taking prints off a bottle to see who littered, Im not trying to be an *** but its not a serious unuff crime to.

Steven C
Rating
It's been too long. Let this be a lesson learned don't put a laptop computer in a car you are not inside of.

Marc
Rating
They may, but the thief probably wore gloves. You should have either taken the laptop into wherever you were or put it in the trunk, out of sight. Break-in's like this are usually done out of opportunity. If there is nothing to tempt the thief, they won't usually bother.

What's cookin??
My car got broken into some years ago, and the police weren't interested in prints because the cash value of the crime was so small, ~$250 (all they got was a crappy stereo - haha!). At least, that's what the campus security guard told me, but it makes sense, because processing fingerprints is an elaborate and expensive process.

answerman
Rating
If you called them when it happened, they would have already been down to investigate and you would know what they are doing. Maybe you should leave Y!A for a minute and file a report with the police about this.

Kenneth C
Rating
Possibly, however, there are prints all over the inside of the car. Plus the materials in the interior make it very hard to lift prints. Even if they get a print, it will be more then likely yours and it will go no where.

Not too mention, you said it was broken into last week. Most finger prints do not last that long, especially in the summer.

nomikitha07
Rating
Depends on how crafty the perp is. A friend of mine has his car stolen from the school parking lot and they found the car in almost no time, but they never found the guy who did it!

Kevin
Rating
Did you already file a report with them? You say it happened a week ago. If they were going to process the car and take prints they would have done it at that time.

Prints are not always taken. But the officer taking your report should at least inspect the car and try to gather any possible evidence.

A few things that may hamper this would be;
1.) If you handled things in the car and moved things, destroying the prints.
2.) A majority of the surfaces inside a car are not smooth.
3.) The plastic in your dash and door lining has a texture, which resists fingerprinting.
4.) Any prints are now a week old in summer conditions. In the best inside conditions fingerprints are viable for less than two weeks. They degrade quickly, especially in heat.

The police would love to find a perfect fingerprint at every crime scene and have it lead to a conviction. A lot of the time your car isn't the only one broken into and if we got a suspect we could probably solve a dozen break ins in your neighborhood. I am not going to say you may not have gotten a lazy cop who didn't do all he could; I am just saying a lot of times there just isn't anymore evidence available.

Did you give the Police your laptop's serial number? It should be entered in the National Crime Information Center computer system. That is probably your best chance at this point in recovering it.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, September 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy