Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think a police officer will remember you after.......?
15 months,when he just gave me a speeding ticket. Iam a bad girl,lol,I got a speeding ticket 15 months ago and I am going to say it wasnt me.1,not my car 2,sign the ticket different,......so they'...

Where would you hide a murder weapon?
its for a ...

If someone was to murder a pregnant woman are they tried for two killings?

Additional Details
I should say would they be "charged" with two killings?...

Is it a crime?!?
These ppl cracked an egg on my neighbors winsheild? can they get fingerprinted or go to jail? it was 1 egg. there were about 5 ppl. they were under 18 exept 1...

Is it legal for a police officer to open my closed, brown paper bag if he thinks that there is alcohol in it?
Last night, my friend bought liquor in a liquor store, then when he stepped out, he handed me the brown, closed bag, which was NOT in the shape of a bottle (there were a few small bottles). A half-...

Should i call the police on my parents??
my mom and dad said they wont give a F about me getting kicked out of school its been 2 years so far

im 16 male and usa chicago

im turning 17 april 27
and my dad said he ...

Is it legal to install a camera in your bedroom to record what goes on in front of your house?
My neighbour has recently been seen with a video camera set up in his front bedroom window, pointing towards the pavement and road in front of his house. However, we live on a busy terrace street ...

Can you curse or flip off a cop?
If a cop walks by can you say FU cop without being fined or anything?...

How many times would you bail your child out of jail before you gave up on them?

A Police Officer was really rude to me?
6 police officers were pinning this lad down on friday night outside macdonalds..

and the macdonalds lady wasn't letting us in and i really needed a drink.

so i went up to ...

Death penalty?
There are so many arguements on the subject and I want to know what you think. Do you agree with the death penalty?...

Is it legal to drink in the street?

Additional Details
Sorry - I did not specify, Country - UK, region Liverpool,...

What will happen to me for hitting officer?
i know i was drunk thats no excuse i didnt remeber what i did still cant i said to police i never did it but obviously the officer aint lyin and if i did hit her im sorry do i need to tell police ...

What NOT to say to a copper...?

Who agrees we should bring back the death penalty?
overcrowded prisons,escaping murderers,perverts and child molesters out on "work experience" etc etc etc.I personally am sick of paying my taxes to keep all these dregs of humanity in 3 ...

What can i do about crime in my area?

Additional Details
recently an increase in burgalries has accured in my are what can i do to protect my home
p.s i have an alarm!...

Should i contact the police?
i was wondering if you could help before myself and my wife met her partner at the time bullied her to let him take photos of him putting bottles and things inside her private he then kept the ...

My husband assulted me 2x, and when the police get there, he lies and tells them I hit him first.?
I am having to go to court for the 2nd time for assult and battery, I never touched him. He self mutilates himself before the police get there. He was a sheriff-deputy for 10 yrs, and probation/...

I was court speeding on the m5 at 5.30am at 106mph what am i looking at?

Should motorists be banned from using cell phones while they drive?

dawn
Is it legal for emergency services to jump red lights?
Whether a police car, ambulance or fire engine, if they are using their siren and/or flashing lights would they get a ticket for jumping the lights?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Orla C
Rating
It's perfectly legal for the emergency services to jump red lights if they are acting in an emergency. In fact, if the siren is on and the lights are flashing, you are obliged to move your vehicle out of their way.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

krazyzima
Rating
It is legal. Emergency services have right-of-way in all cases (Red lights, stop signs, yield, etc.). That is why, when you hear an emergency siren, you are supposed to pull over immediately. Even if it is not coming up from behind you, it may be about to breeze through the intersection that you have a green light for.

Twiggy
No, it is not legal. The drivers of all emergency vehicles responding to an emergency call are subject to the same traffic regulations as everyone else is. They do get tickets for failing to conform to automatic traffic signals and activating speed cameras.

John W
An emergency vehicle has the right under law to treat red lights as "Give way" signs when on route to an emergency with lights and/or Sirens going...
They are NOT given tickets for this for obvious reasons..

Problem Child
Rating
Not only is it legal, your failure to yield is grounds for a traffic summons, a moving violation. Yes, emergency vehicles have to operate with "due Regard" meaning they can't drive right through at 100 MPH. They have to slow down or stop and prodede only when safe to do so.
For the record, here in NYS, as it is in many states, police vehicles do not need lights/sirens on to break the traffic laws, like passing a red signal. Also, fire trucks can use lights and sirens when returning from an alarm (going back to fire house) this is allowed so that they can return to their response area in a timely manner. If another alarm comes in, they need to be in the area. Unlike the police, who have many cars available, their is usally only one fire truck for a given area and if it is gone, well.... So they allow them to get back as quickly as possible. In theory though, they do not do it, unless they are traveling a great distance, like here in NYC where they may be relocating halfway accross the city.

denco26
the only vehicle that can go through a red light legally is a royal mail vehicle

ed209
I can only reply in relation to the police but if not the same it will be very similar for all blue light responders.

There are exceptions in law that allow the police not to comply with traffic signals or the speed limit.

In reality this exception exists at all times even without blue lights on or when responding to a non emergency call. The law simply states 'for a police purpose'. This is what allows for police to be trained on 'real' roads when not responding to calls.

However...... The risk involved in exceeding the speed limit and not complying with traffic signals results in officers being told when they can and cant 'blue light'. If you 'blue light' without good reason then despite the exception in law you may still be disciplined.

Its also worth noting that despite the exceptions allowed emergency drivers are still expected to drive to a safe standard. i.e. red lights should be treated as give way. They can still be prosecuted with dangerous driving!

FSM Raguru AM™
No, why on Earth would they? That is the purpose of the lights and siren in the first place. So that when they go through red lights and high traffic areas people can see them and stop to let them go by. Theoretically, they never run red lights because they are always on duty. If it is not an emergency, it is probably illegal, but good luck proving they weren't in the middle of running to a call.

Knownow't
Yes it is legal, but the driver must use due care and if an accident occurs then the driver, like any other can be prosecuted.

Mr Abba
No they wouldnt because they are in a emergency situation.

max m
It seems that a lot of people give conflicting answers on this. I suspect that the reason for this is that there are different rules in different countries. It would help if the asker and the answerers specified which countries they were talking about - or for Yahoo not to mix up everyone, just because it is in English.

Robert G
Rating
Yes.

As long as an emergency vehicle has it's red and blue lights actively flashing while it goes through any intersection, all other traffic is supposed to give it the right of way.

Fact is, though, if there is a life- or limb-saving emergency involved, anybody can drive through a red-light, and even if you wind up getting a ticket, you go to court, and provide evidence of the emergency, and no judge in the world would find a person guilty enough to impose any kind of penalty like a fine.

Vehicles with red and or blue flashing lights on top are simply the kinds of vehicles that have been prepared to become just that much more conspicuous so that in such an emergency they will be just that much less likely to get into a collision while crossing against a red light at some intersection.

Which is what red and blue flashing lights are all about, in the first place.

However, they are NOT supposed to use theri flashing lights and sirens unless there is an actual emergency for them to be driving to.

If some ambulance driver just doesn't like the traffic between him and his favorite lunch spot, and he turns on his lights to make others let him get there faster, he CAN get a very big huge ticket for abusing his emergency lights.

zebediah
Rating
only in an emergency, and they MUST be treated as a give way, any emergency vehicle hitting another vehicle while jumping a red light, the driver will be charged, like i said, it must be treated as a give way and the emergency vehicle has to make sure its ok to proceed, in the UK anyway
additional, WHY would some one give my answer the thumbs down when its absolute fact . . . . some sad sad people on here

joan k
Yes in an emergency and if it's safe to do so, but they are legally liable if they hit another vehicle.

Ben Gunn
Rating
If any Royal Mail drivers are reading this page, make sure you know the difference between a red light and a turnpike (which ended 200 years ago).

marikasmith14
No because i remember when my nana collapsed most people let the ambulace past its what your sposed to do . good question

Leu
Rating
Its perfectly legal - which is good since no one wants to be laying on the ground with blood spilling around them and no help is available because the emergency services are held up at the lights!

Leona
Rating
they have every right to run a red light with sirens on . When emergency calls, they must answer.

martdfrogman
Rating
Any red light is treated as a give way (as stated by a couple of others). Only if the way is clear and it is safe to do so will an emergency vehicle cross through the lights, this would only happen when running on Blues.

vdv_desantnik
Rating
under the road traffic act there is no carte blanche for drivers of emergency vehicles to disregard traffic signals, however in an emergency situation they are instructed to treat red lights as a 'give way' sign

cynical1
in a word no, they are open to the same rules as any other road user and if involved in a accident could be prosecuted

luciousgreeneyedlady
Rating
is this a serious question?

English Angel
Yes it's legal for them but if you jump a light to let any of the emergency services though you can get points on your licence and a fine

Scouse
Rating
I think an Abuklance and the police can. But I would not stand on ceremony with any emergency vehicle.

"isitme"
Rating
Emergency vehicles have Home Office dispensation to regard red traffic lights as Give Way signs in cases of emergency.

If, in the event of doing so, an accident occurs, they are as liable as any other motorist would be in that situation. The fact that they were on an urgent call would not be accepted as a line of defence.

In the UK, there are no magic switches that change the lights, they were suggested and trialed years ago but found to be ineffective.

Happy Murcia
Rating
Yes quite legal if on an emergency callout,,

Ivan The Terrible
yes its legal..theyre supposed to do it

Ollie
It is legal for them to jump the red light.

AtiaoftheJulii
Yes its legal. If I am lying on the ground bleeding to death, I dont want the police, fire trucks or EMS waiting for a red light to turn green.

Yes, when responding to emergencies,but only when it is safe to do so.

Ian UK
We get issued with tickets the same as anyone else, we're not above the law.

However, if we show that our actions were conducted in the course of our duty and within our relevant driving authority (not all officers can drive with lights and sirens) then the ticket is revoked.

Also bear in mind that an officer doesn't have to use lights and sirens when jumping lights but its best practice to do so. However, when doing so, the junction has to be treated as a give way for users crossing on green lights.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.054
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, October 25, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy