Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Do all cops lie and try to entrap? and why?
Several times I have had the occasion to leave a store and when I go to drive off, here are about three of the citys finest blocking me and when they come to my window, they ask if I've been ...

I took two drags of a marijuana cigar. I got blood tested 6 hours later for a dwi. Will that show up on it?
I got arrest for a dwi and got blood tested. The results for the dwi was .04 and was in New york State, suffolk county. I went to court and they said they were going to do a drug analysis on my ...

If a person refuses medical attention, even if dying ...?
do the cops and the paramedics have to abide by that?

Say, for instance, a person took too many pills on purpose but didn't want their kid to be the one to find them, if at the end ...

How can we reduce knife crime?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/
The government are to push a campaign against knife crime which is to feature graphic pictures of the results of knife crime. Do you think it ...

What happens if you get pulled over by the cops in CA?

Do cops have the right to do this?
Can they pull you over if you cut them off on the highway?

This happened to me, I said is there a problem, He said yea! you cutt me off. I said I was sorry, and he told me to check my ...

What is the safest police officer job you could get?
My husband wants to become a police officer but I am a little scarse because I dont want anything to happen to him, but I know you always have a risk of something happening to you everyday, but if he ...

When will Blair be arrested over selling peerages ?
Isn't it about time he was arrested and charged along with the rest of them ?...

Why do people talk about hating the police for not doing...?
their jobs, but are always the first ones to call the police for even the smallest problem?

i.e., dog barking, loud music...
Additional Details
I would NEVER want to walk a ...

When should you fire warning shots at a fleeing shoplifter?
choose one and explain why you choose it.

A. Never. They do not pose a threat and it would be in violation of Tennesse Vs Gardner.
http://www.pti.uiuc.edu/...

Do Police radar guns have print offs or read offs they can show you?
i have heard of police officers after giving peoples speeding tickets offering them to see the read off on the radar gun or asking them if they would like a copy of the print off. i recently got a ...

What should I do... Yesterday I got a DUI. Spent last night at the police station?
What should I do... Yesterday I got a DUI. Spent last night at the police station?
I need advice!!!! I'm a really nice girl. This stuff doesn't happen to me!!!...

Strange call from police department?
2 hours ago, My aunt(live together) got a call from men and he said he was from New Jersey state police something..(can't recall exactly, but it was police department) and he told us to donate $1...

Is throwing a hair out the window of you car considered littering?
I threw this long blond hair (not mine) out the window of my car and this person beeped at me and gave me a gesture....

Do you think banning hand guns will increase or decrease violence?

Additional Details
Hmm. I live in Toronto where there are a lot of shootings. It seems like it has gotten worse since the ban. WHY??...

Is This Really Fraud?
I applied for a job, off a website called Gumtree, as a driver for an American Businessman, it was a temporary position for just 8 weeks.
The guy emailed me and said I had got the job and he ...

I found $3,000 under a big dumster on my way to work.?
should I report to police and keep it?

i was walking to work and that day I took a short cut through an alley way where drug dealer and bum are usually seen. I saw that $3000 bundled up ...

Where can i buy an armed policmens uniform(uk)?

Anyone know if it illegal to break into your own house..?

Additional Details
added info... conditional discharge for common assault......

So come on then brits what's it to be on cannabis ?
To date still classification C which means any cop bothering me about it will be told where to go straight. Another Gordonian Brownian balls up form the lip quivering yes man ? Are you making a law ...

Brian W
Is it against the law to dig through someone's trash?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Al Mac Wheel
It depends what you do with it.

Suppose you find a credit card application, and you send it in which change of address so the credit card in the name of the person in the trash goes to your address, then you spend it ... this can put you in jail with every single purchase you made being a different theft.

In most states, you need a search warrant to go through other people trash.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

quickgun
Once they put it out by the road it is property of whoever picks up their garbage. It is not illegal to go through it I would caution you that if they have somehting they are trying to hide and they find you digging through the garbage that may turn into a dangerous situation.

Bryan W
no... but it's disgusting!!

charlsyeh
it is perfectly legal. you have no claims on things you threw away

Yahoo S
Rating
Depends where their trash is placed. If it is in their house, then it might well be but not because you checked their trash. If it is placed out for trash pickup then trespassing issues aside you have no reasonable expectation of privacy in your garbage. Now I cannot say that you won't get your *** kicked by your neighbors if they catch you rummaging through their waste!!! Take your chances. Are you paranoid about others or are you nosy and want into the neighbors biz?

cruiser007
I wouldn't advise it, what with diseases and all. Plus, you won't make many friends doing that. But the answer is no, it is not illegal. Once the property is placed on the curb it is considered abandoned and the owner has forfeited the property. The determining factor is that the item cannot be on the person's property... it must make it to or past the sidewalk... if there is no sidewalk, you have an interesting legal question on your hands.

Roadrunner58-79
N O!!!!!!!!

Charles H
To be on the safe side ask the owner, whatever don't make a mess in the digging.
In C.S.I. they call it dumpster diving.
I call it garbage surfing.

Ret. Sgt.
Rating
Supreme court answered this long ago. If it is in the trash, it's open to the public. Trash pulls are still routinely used for any number of crimes. I cant recall the case that got to the Supreme court but believe it was syndicate gambling and the markers were in the trash or something like that.

Now, if the trash is inside the house a search warrant would be needed. Usually a trash pull proceeds a search warrant. It is not a fun or glamorous part of police work.

BHuh?
Rating
why the heck would u wanna dig through someone elses trash? it would probably be against the law if you were trying to get some personal info. >_<

Sarita
Rating
It depend where your garbage can is located, if is in an alley then it's not illegal, if is inside your property then is illegal because somebody is tresspasing. If is the police looking for some kind of evidence, then it's not illegal if they have a warrant.

bungee
not in Pa.

Gabriel Hutton
Rating
No. After it leaves your house it is considered public property until the trash company picks it up, since it is on public land. There is a Supreme Court ruling on it somewhere.

Information Police
There might be local ordinances against it, but in general, it is perfectly legal once it is put on the street for pick up.

G O
If it is on their property yes if it is in the street no

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, September 20, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy