Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Why don't we initiate the death penalty for marijuana use?
It seems that marijuana possession is a recent phenomenon that is getting worse and worse. To combat this, there is no doubt that we need to stiffen penalties in order to let people know that ...

Could you be arrested for throwing 'unpopped kernels' at a policeman?
*Unpopped kernels from microwave popcorn*...

Would giving people lots of community service be better than sending them to jail?
If we did that alot of money would be saved from having less people in prison and jobs could get done free of charge. I had to do community service before and it was painting up a community centre ...

Can you be arrested for a DUI while at home?
I hit a bench on my way home from dinner and was arrested for a DUI at my house after being home for about 15 minutes. I told the officer I had consumed two drinks upon returning home. I did take a ...

Will law enforcement come to your house to get you is you have a bench warrant in another state for a felony?
Felony is for forgery in the state of Nevada (205.090). Just trying to figure out if my son's father will be headed to prison. I have wanted to move out of state for a while now and I have ...

Can you get a speeding ticket from the police with a speed gun if they don't pull you over?

Can someone be arrested for using incorrect grammar?

Wait on him to get outta prison?
Waiting on your love to get outta prison is soooo horrible. I miss him, and Lord knows I love him....but he's going to be in prison for tha long haul.......tha next 8-10 years (that being parole)...

Why do Police pull you over for speeding, then just give you a warning ?
Is that a total waste of time for the both of us ?...

If tasers are so deadly, why don't cops die when tased?
Over the past several years, tens of thousands of officers have been tased, yet not a single one has died. How can they be so deadly to the public if they are harmless to the officers?...

Does my mother have the right to take my computer away?
I am under the age of 16.
I payed for my computer, with money that i earned. She did not give me the money. This means that i own the computer right? Meaning my mother lagally cannot take my ...

I really hate cops?
Last night some douche wrote me 7 tickets and I dont have $950 to pay it.

I want to join an anarchist group now or something along legion of doom lines..where do I sign up?
A...

Can you shoot someone that broke into your house?

Should you be able to shoot burglars in your home?
Why are blacks in Texas protesting the shooting of black burglars and demanding that the homeowner be brought up on charges?

http://www.chron.com/dis...

So the brit police get away with murder ?
' a single charge of endangering the public ' my foot !! Trigger fuelled power freak fascist terrified FAT little boys in men's uniforms. Why is it now in uk when any sign of ...

Can they do this?
okay so yesterday im on my way home from work and a state trooper pulls me (florida highway patrol).....i wasnt doing anything wrong but he pulled me and said my window tint was too dark!....so he ...

Is it rude to yell "Sooooweeeeee pig pig pig!" at a police officer?

Additional Details
Trollbus- One day you'll remove the stick from your butt and learn to laugh at questions that aren't meant to be taken seriously....

Im talking to a serial killer help?????
Im currently talking to a serial killer on msn and im not joking he's talking about molesting his little kids 3 and 7, raping girls and boys under the age of 14. Im gonna continue to talk to him ...

Should school be compulsory??????

Why Do Cops have such $hi*@y attitudes?
Why do cops always act like they are the next thing to God? I swear 99% of cops I know are total jerks. Why is that?
Additional Details
O.K., to set the record straight...I'm not ...

GEMMA22
Can you sue the police!!!?

Show all answers
Post your answer

AmandaHugNKiss
For what? Your going to waste a lot of time and money on trying to sue a police officer for what? It better be for something really worthwhile cause you'll be the one on the losing end if it isn't.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

lkffakyh98lehcoijjgpitjtphuitykl
We had a police cruiser hit our car after he went the wrong way in a one-way parking lot, without blowing his horn or putting on his brakes beforehand. He was invisible from our cars' position. We contacted the city administrative office. They possess a department called "risk management", just to take care of their of legal problems when they occur - and they do. I'm sure counties and states have these departments, too.
You will find that you will probably need a lawyer to help them take you seriously, that is, if your problem with them is big enough to warrant one.
We found that our automotive insurance company doesn't help us legally at times like these, because we only carry liability. Because the damage was minor (it did matter to us, even if it was under $1000.00!), and we didn't have representation (the city has multiple full-time lawyers, which lets you know how often their employees mess-up), the best we could get them to agree to was a little more than half the cost of repair.
Cop couldn't drive, and gave us the only dent my car had...

undertaker_05_69
Most definatly, in fact, im in a lawsuit involving my county police dept. make sure you have a good lawyer, and plenty of evidence!

XXkarlaXX
Rating
You can, but I can most certainly say you wont win, my dad didn’t

the mofo
Yes you can sue the police, as long as its a genuine complaint. they ae as culpable as anybody else.

Howeevr if you have a look there are way too many people who try and sue on weak grounds where they say some civil liberty ha=s been encroached upon, and forget that the police have a power to encroach on peoples human rights as long as they are following legislation.

My advise is speak to a solicitor first and see if you are wasting your money.

evil_paul
Rating
It depends on what you want to sue for. Theoretically, you can sue anybody for anything, but suing a police agnecy will be incredibly difficult.

First, your lawsuit, will be reviewed by the city attorney to determine whether or not you have a legitimate claim. If you do then the case will go forward.

However, police if your upset about how you were treated, because of something you did, or are just upset in general then you have even less of a chance.

????????
Yes. And then you better move because no one's going to want to come to your aid when you come calling for 911 help!

However, if it's a truly wrongful activity, you might be better to go to the District Attorney and see if the SBI or the state has any interest in your allegations. A good way to deflect the heat ( no pun intended) off of you as instigator.

Chevall
Rating
The truth is that u can sue the police but mostly depends on were are u in what country in the world cuz come in my countrie and ull see who gets sue in the end :) soo the answer of ur question is Yes - but be careful !

reinformer
Rating
Yes. But if your evidence of police crime is not more than a he said /she said exchange , you'll loose. You have to have documented proof. A vidio would be substantial but not necessarily enough proof.
In Canada , many city's police forces have been sue successfully. The RCMP has been sued. In most cases it is the officers indevidually that have been sued.

PK
he yes, I did

g.m
Rating
see your solicitor ::!!! yes you can , if wronged::!!

lonewolf1
Rating
You can sue anyone you want, except for the U.S. Gov't, unless you get permission.....

lord_velos
Yes

But...

be prepared to be harrassed by them on an almost daily basis because of it!!

SurfCop
Course you can. Most of the British public do in an attempt to get compo.

Judge Dredd
You can sue anyone you want.

briggs
Rating
yes of course.

senile_brother
Rating
i dont know but when i was 17 i was put in prison for something i didn't do
they found out 5 months later
i got compensation

VOTE RON PAUL 2008
You can try, but you have to know that you are fighting a system in a system. You cannot win without video evidence of illegal activity.

keith
Depends on what grounds you wish to sue them, just the same as anyone else...as you have valid grounds then you can if not no.

liberalsrworthless
Since you didn't elaborate, let me guess. You were pulled over for something you didn't do, refused to show the identification REQUIRED by law, ran your mouth off and got slapped around resisting arrest? You weren't high or drunk, and they were looking JUST FOR YOU! Of course you are innocent of everything, right?

How close am i?

jane
Rating
With a good enough reason and enough money you can sue anybody

Vanes
Depending on what for, in most cases the court seems to lean toward the police department, depending on the reason for suing.

Yo!
Yes. People do it all the time.

zebj25
Rating
Yes you can

ruffbird
yes its possible. although you need a bloody good reason to do so and good evidence.

Veteran Voter
It's been done before. The governing body (city, county, state) will pick up the bill if you win. This could mean reduced services from that governing body to offset the costs, but yeah it happens. Rodney King sued and won vs. LAPD.

STEVEN L
Rating
yes i know some one that did and she even won her case

joeanonymous
Sure you can, it happens all the time.

James H
yes.

Heathen
Rating
If you don't like their albums, it's easier to just not listen to them.

johnboy
Rating
you can sue anybody as long as you got evidence and a good lawyer.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Sunday, September 21, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy