Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

What are the Pro's and Con's of going to prison for 10 years?

Has a police officer every knocked at your front door? Was it good news?

When are blacks going to cooperate with the police?
This is an honest question and anyone that finds it "racist"
would also consider a ham sandwich "racist".

The rate of violent crime in black neighborhoods is ...

After what happened in Virginia, do you feel there needs to be more gun control?

What will happen if I just pay a speeding ticket?
I am 24 years old. Live in Missouri. Got a speeding ticket 44 in a 30. First ticket i have ever had. Will this affect my insurance?...

Is it illegal to buy and sell cocaine ( powder soap on a bag ) with Monopoly money in front of cops?
Like dress like thugs and carry fake guns ( water guns ) riding around to known crime areas and acting out like drug salespeople in order to record cop reactions to put on YouTube?

Views on capital punishment?
what do you feel bout capital punishment and why?...

Are the police subject to the same laws as every other citizen?
or do they still let each other off with speeding offences fabrication of evidence racial aggravated assaults etc ...

Can a baby go to jail?
I was wondering this silly little question..
But if a baby commits a criminal act with an intention to harm people and succeeds.. do they go to jail?...

Qustion about the police?
my question on tuesday i got pull of by the police . the police had his gun out but he did not aim it at me. he ask for my licence, i gave it to him and i ask him what was the problem. he said ...

Why would the police respond to an attempted?
car theft phoned in on a non emergency line.....within 5 minutes...complete with sniffer dogs and 3 cars...and forensics coming tocheck it again this morning.???.....i don't understand it.......

My 10 year old is being hrrased at school,humiliated.and had to show her underwear,what can i do?
there is a 18 year old who put her sister up to taking my daughters underwear (was left there a time when she spent the nite)drawing her FULL NAME on them and other nastyness.the little girl threw ...

I want the truth, if a member of your family was murderd of killed, like me take the law into yr own hands?
we have seen in the papers and on the news, people/childreen, murderd or killed, then i would like to know what you would do, if it was a member of your family, we all no the law is a farce, and the ...

Now that you no longer have guns, do you ever have any murders?
Obama tells us that if we get rid of our guns, our crime problems will go away. No more murders or robberies. Is this your experience?
Additional Details
Please note, I did not ask if ...

Do you think "the ipswitch killer" is guilty?
This guy is obviously a deluded **** faced loner, i mean he befriends prostitutes and lures them in, then he kills them. ok maybe we shouldnt just assume, but i think he is guilty.
He is a weak ...

If you were driving, struck a pedestrian and you knew there were no witnesses, what would you do?

Additional Details
DiamondDave: It's a question because we know that in reality, people have panicked and done nothing. Otherwise all hit and runs would be solved....

Should people who commit crimes be given the max penalty for their actions?
Criminals must know, they cannot obey the law. Enforcing max penalty will certainly do so, forcing criminals to think about their actions. Plus, by the time they get spending so much time in prison ...

What's the most common car accidents?

Have i any chance of becoming a cop?
i'm coming to the states from australia and would like to join the police force.But i have a few small problems,i only have one leg so if i have to walk a beat it will have to be around right ...

Are Republicans to blame for the shootings in VT?
They promote upper class society which forces students to wear the best clothes and try to live up to the expectations of their fellow upper class ...

hispanicgeneral
Can cursing to a police officer get you arrested?
In america, since we have freedom of speech, can we get in trouble for cursing at an officer? i.e (Fu*k Off)

Show all answers
Post your answer

Robert G
You're kidding, right?

It is a FACT that here in Amerika, you can be placed under arrest simply for telling a badge-bearing bully 'no'.

The charge is usually "disorderly conduct" or it might be called "failure to provide information to a law-enforcement officer" or it might be considered an admission of guilt to some question he/she asked earlier in the conversation, as in at some point the bully asks "Are you telling me you AREN'T trying to get away from robbing a bank?" and your response at that point is "Huh?" and then after several other questions, he/she asks you some very simple yes/no question and you answer "no", his/her audio recording of the event can then be edited to eliminate all the stuff in-between, and make it appear on tape as the conversation went "Are you telling me you AREN'T trying to get away from robbing a bank?" "No" which can THEN be interpreted as saying "Yes, I AM trying to get away from robbing a bank."

The fact of the matter, however, is that, as one of the self-proclaimed badge-bearing bullies on this forum

http://answers.yahoo.com/my/profile;_ylt=AmrmQFRZNGjghKTw3UbdXKjR7BR.;_ylv=3?show=AA12340352

has said it's called a P.O.P. ... "Pissing Off Police"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkxnmiMRQ2Ee0.SY5Sj9KsHty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20071221092544AANQ9Tq&show=7#profile-info-A8T5ztq9aa

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

DavidSummerly
Rating
Sadly, yes. We live in a facist police state.

fudge
Rating
yes
one time me and my mates were bunking school and we got caught well not realy we got a way anyways the were asking question and i got rude and they werelike i can get arrested so i got a lil bit mad
my friend soon calm me down the piont is they think they have so much power when really they dont

daren s
yes even not swearing can. cops will fack with you .its thier way of venting because thier wives cheat on them

just wonderin
Rating
you could be arrested. probably for disorderly conduct or use of abusive language or something like that

charlsyeh
Rating
the person who stated the supreme court said it was ok is 100% lying.it is called disorderly conduct and it can buy to a fine and trip to jail.most of the information you get here is completely false.people are basing everything they know on tv or what someone else said.
------retired texas deputy sheriff------

prancinglion
Rating
No... that won't get you arrested, but it will make the Police look long and hard for any other reason to arrest you.

It's also a really bad idea... and would show a lack of maturity and class.

Tony
You can get away with it just by rephrasing some words with the cursing. "IN MY OPINION Officer YOU ARE AF@$@##$"

Dad's found yer scoo'er
Rating
Think it comes under "Using foul and abusive language". In the UK it's an offence under Section 5 of the Public Order Act.

Bulldog
Rating
i'm not sure about where you are from but in texas it falls under penal code 42.01 disorderly conduct and is an arrestable misdemeanor offense.
42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;
(2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;
(3) creates, by chemical means, a noxious and unreasonable odor in a public place;
(4) abuses or threatens a person in a public place in an obviously offensive manner;
(5) makes unreasonable noise in a public place other than a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code, or in or near a private residence that he has no right to occupy;
(6) fights with another in a public place;
(7) enters on the property of another and for a lewd or unlawful purpose looks into a dwelling on the property through any window or other opening in the dwelling;
(8) while on the premises of a hotel or comparable establishment, for a lewd or unlawful purpose looks into a guest room not his own through a window or other opening in the room;
(9) discharges a firearm in a public place other than a public road or a sport shooting range, as defined by Section 250.001, Local Government Code;
(10) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;
(11) discharges a firearm on or across a public road; or
(12) exposes his anus or genitals in a public place and is reckless about whether another may be present who will be offended or alarmed by his act.

jdydewing
Rating
Would be a dumb thing to do, because basically it depends on the mood they are in. If they are happy you might catch a break if not, you will being paying a fine for disorderly.

wykedguy
Rating
Im not sure one police officer answered this question yet. Good for the UK if they have a law regarding this.

I can only say in California.... No, you can not be arrested. Disturbing the Peace (415 PC), in general, DOES NOT apply to a police officer while working. Freedom of speech is freedom of speech, one of the rights we are charged with protecting.

If the response is ANYTHING other than speech alone (furtive movement, delaying, obstructing), then their might be a law violation. If anything, it just directs attention and scrutiny at you that you otherwise would not have had. No matter how hard we try, we all break laws everyday. You might be putting yourself in a position to be held responsible for those laws.

But, again, speech is a protected right (with some exceptions, but this isn't one of them).

***As a note to Robert G, the 'top contributor' with the cute 'badge-bearing bullies' refrain - It might be time to head back to your wilderness shack and start building bombs again. Maybe you could write another manifesto. If times get to bad, just remember that there are PLENTY of people who will buy you a plane ticket to any other country as long as you promise to stay there. Your ignorant, misinformed, paranoid answer is only possible because of the very freedoms police officers provide everyday. Be thankful or STFU.

Tim I
In Florida, if it creates a public disturbance, or draws the attention of the public around you --- yes. We have a state law and local ordinance here that governs that. Disorderly Conduct.

Yes, you can get arrested for disturbing the peace, or maybe on some trumped up charge. This is definitely NOT the smart thing to do.

jennyღ
Rating
It won't get you arrested but you shoudn't do it. You should always show a person of authority respect. They have earned by going out there and keeping us safe.

Earl B
Rating
oh yeah. Disorderly conduct. If your saying directly to a police officer YES. But if your describing something and use a slang word or cuss word then no.

Stephanie K
You won't get arrested for the cursing itself (in the USA, anyway) but I can practically guarantee that cop will find another reason within the scope of the law to arrest you anyway...just to get back at you for telling 'em to fu** off.

sdsrfbum69
Rating
Yes a person can be arrested for disorderly conduct. And I hope they beat the crap out of that person. Their jobs are hard enough without people like that talking smack. They put their lives on the line everyday to keep us safe. How about some appreciation?

Lou Diamond
Rating
It can...but why do you want to exacerbate an already tense moment with hysterics? Display courteous demeanor and you go on with your business."Tell it to the judge" if you have a legit complaint but keep your head at all times.

Geoff C
Yes they could. They could charge you with disorderly conduct if they wanted to.

Would they? Most likley not.

when I was a Sheriff's Deputy I heard it all but you get thick skin and just ignore people for stuff like that. It is too much paperwork for such a stupid thing. Freedom of speech doesnt allow you to say what ever you want there are limits on it.

you can yell fire in a crowded building if there is none.

you cant say crude thing to little kids. like asking them for sex.

Free speech has limits

In the UK you will get done for what they call an ASBO for it (anti social behavior order)

Darth Vader
Rating
That is not freedom of speech, that is freedom to get arrested.

It is also very stupid. Never cuss out somone who is carrying a gun and billy club.

okrife
It did me. BUT that is not right, the supreme court of the US has ruled u can curse those pigs out. Look up the use of the big bad F word on the net.
http://www.flexyourrights.org/
http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/11/19/5320/
http://www.flexyourrights.org/2007_11_21_police_have_been_tasering_lots_of_people_lately
http://law.justanswer.com/?r=galaw&gclid=CKnY85rkv5ACFQ8nawod2lMuXg
http://www.plf.net/forms.shtml

Reversing Conviction for Saying “**** Off”

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE October 28, 2002
Contact: Jack Van Valkenburgh, Executive Director – 208-344-9750

Dennis Benjamin, Cooperating Attorney – 208-343-1000

BOISE, ID - The American Civil Liberties Union hailed today’s ruling of the Idaho Supreme Court that reversed the conviction of Patrick Suiter for disturbing the peace by saying “**** off” to an officer.

The Court’s news release can be found at: http://www2.state.id.us/judicial/opinions/suitnrl.pdf

and the decision can be found at: http://www2.state.id.us/judicial/opinions/suiter.pdf

The unanimous decision of the Court was that “**** off” is protected speech, was not likely to provoke a reasonable person to violence, and that the conviction by the jury could have been based upon his use of the protected speech.

The ACLU of Idaho and the Idaho Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers jointly submitted an amicus brief on this case. Dennis Benjamin, as cooperating attorney for the ACLU of Idaho, provided argument to the Idaho Supreme Court. In response to the court’s ruling, Benjamin said “The speech was offensive and regrettable, but the government should not be trying to play Miss Manners. That is not the proper role of criminal law in a free country.”

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.094
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, December 20, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy