Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

What has happened to the justice system in the uk?
HOW IS IT A WOMAN can be sent to prison for naming a teddy bear mohammid. and yet a woman in the uk can spread the word of terror with words of beheading and insighting acts of terror gets sentenced ...

Would you trust a robot law enforcement?

4 Teenagers so far this year... How many more have to die before the govenment gets tough on knife/gun crime?

Why do they jail a normaly law abiding citizen when he trys to defend himself against known thugs?
local older man punched a 15 yr old yob,(after a lot of trouble),so they jail him!!! his wife is now on her own and has had her living room window smashed,these are nice people who have never ...

Is it legal for an adult to have a relationship with a minor as long as the relationship is non-sexual?

Do you think vandals should be made to pay financially for the damage they do?
its no good giving them silly punishments, like 2wks in prison or whatever,
The damage should be estimated, and if the vandal is on benefits or working, this money should not be paid to him but ...

Customs seized my new freelander because i gave a lift to a friend who bought cheap baccy can they do this ?
i gave him a lift to pick it up , on the way home we were stopped by the police and arrested customs siezed my car even after i pleaded the tobaccoo was not ...

Do you think being a prison officer is safe for a young girl?

Warrant for arrest?
my bf got a ticket for no insurance then he missed court now he has a warrant for his arrest what can he ...

Because of Paris Hilton, is it now OK to drive drunk and disregard probation?
She is setting a hell of an example for the American youth.. Thanks justice system. The best justice money can buy! What does it say about our police officials who were convinced to lie for her. An &...

Can cops talk on a cell while driving and get away with it, but we get a ticket?
we as (people) get pulled over and issued a ticket because talking on a cell phone. but cops can and get away with it. wheres our rights at these days?...

I want to be a correction officer ( prison guard ) and im 5'1 and weigh 110 lbs do u think itll be weird?

Does america want world war 3 to start proper in the middle- east?
if so why?

If this isn't the case why do they support israel's over agressive attacks which have needlessly killed lebabnese civilians and 4 U.N members on purpose after the ...

What are my rights when being detained by a police officer?
My friends and I were parked outside of this random house this past weekend. We are 17. I guess they called the police on us and the poilice came pulled a gun out on us and began to use coercion. T...

If you know someone that has a warrent how do you turn them in?

If Pot is illegal why isnt ciggerettes?
especially since tobacco kills about 1200 people per day, or 400,000 per year

smokers are also a drain on our healthcare ...

Do you trust cops?
m just wondering because I am an innocent girl who never breaks the law, but am afraid a cop is going to arrest me for something I didnt do and lie and harrass me etc. If a cop ever tries to pull me ...

Do police officers tranquilize people? if so why?

Should convicted sexual predators be chemically castrated?
I'm just curious what others think about this issue, I'm constantly seeing repeat sex offenders being arrested on the news and when I go to my local sex offender site, some of the things ...

My in-laws threaten to kill me because?
My husband and I told my In-Laws about our son saying that danny there son-in-law touching his pee-pee?
and they flipped out saying that I made that up and that I taught my son to say that when I...

afrochocobbw
Can an officer detect your speed while you are driving behind him?
I received a ticket for speeding while driving behind an officer. I actually slowed down before i came up behind the officer. I was going approx 55 mph when he pulled over, allowed me to pass, then put his lights on. is this legit? What are my chances of winning if i contest this?
Additional Details
This seems sucky. If i slowed down and was driving behind him at the speed limit, why should he be allowed to ticket me when the only reason i passed him was because he pulled over? Phooey! This seems way unfair to me!

Show all answers
Post your answer

Avaria
i think you could contest and win especially if you were driving behind him so if you were speeding then he had to be plus if he pulls off you have to either break or pass fight it!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Grand pa
Take your punishment How many times did you speed before?

evil_paul
Rating
yes it's legit and there isn't much you can do. Speed can be determined by a couple of factors: if you are behind him and he sees approaching his cruiser, he can determine how fast you were going by looking at his speed and the time it took you to catch up to him.

Secondly, the fact that you slowed down when you passed him is a pretty good indication to me you were speeding. As an example, why would you slow down when you passed him if you weren't speeding?

Your chances of winning are minimal, your only hope is that he doesn't show up for court.

ud
Rating
Yes, an officer can detect your speed.

BJ
Rating
Yes, he can. And speeding is speeding whether you are coming at the driver from the rear, passing or coming from the other direction....you are still speeding.

glock310
Rating
yes police have forward and rear radars the can clock u coming toward them and clock u behind

nightkingdoms3
Rating
Yes, and at least 3 different ways.

1) He could have had a rear-facing radar unit.

2) You were coming up behind him. If he was going 55 mph and you were going 55 mph then you obviously (according to physics) would never have even seen each other because you'd both be going the same direction at the same speed. The simple fact that you came up behind him shows that you were speeding.

3) If after he pulled you over and you actual said "how could you tell that I was speeding when I was behind you", then you just admitted you were speeding. The officer only has to prove that you were speeding, not how fast you were going. If you say that you were speeding when questioned you just sealed his case.

fr_chuck
Rating
They have radar in front and rear of most police cars, they can radar you in front and behind ( and going in either direction)

So long before you even got close to him, he had you in his radar.

It had nothing to do with your passing him, he was only letting you infront so he could stop you.

sway_26
Common sense would tell him if he were driving the speed limit and you were approaching him from behind them you were speeding.

AintSkeered
Rating
Yes. Many patrol cars have radar that detects the vehicles behind the unit as well as in front.

floatingbloatedcorpse
If you caught up to him, outside of wormholes and tears in the time-space continuum, he knows you were going faster than his speed.

canbarra 2
Yes. His speedometer is required to be calibrated, and all he has to do is look at how fast he is going, if you are behind him, your doing the same speed. A radar gun works for people going any direction. He/she just needs to point it at you to determine your speed.

shrty0525
Rating
You had to be speeding for you to catch up to him.

gandamack1
yes..you were caught fair and square..maybe not on radar but all police cruisers have calibrated speedometers....he could have gotten you for careless driving also and that is worse on your record...

Leogirl0804
Rating
If he was driving 75 and you were keeping up with him then yes the detection method is pretty easy.

Roger N
Rating
Yes. The car mounted radar guns shoot forward AND back.
Next time you drive by a cop, look in the back window on the driver's side and look for a little black thing the size of a soda can. That's the radar.
Also...they can "pace" you. If he's cruising at 65 and he notices you approach, he can pretty much tell that you are speeding.
Next time you ride up on a cop, jump off the next exit and stop for a while. Maybe he'll just keep going.

coragryph
Rating
Yes, an officer can estimate your speed relative to his vehicle regardless of who is behind who -- the issue is relative distance and relative speed between the two vehicles.

Also, you just admitted that you were going faster before you slowed down, so you approached the officer moving faster than 55.

Hootiesplace
The above are good answers. Yes he can clock or pace you if you are behind him. By the time you slowed down and he pulled over, the deed was done. By then he had already determined that you were speeding.
Can you fight it in court? Absolutely. That's the great thing about our court system. Anyone can plead their case before a judge. If you do, have your case together...and as a suggestion, I'd have a lot more evidence than what you list in your question. If you go to court and plead your caseand you are found guilty it would cost no more than if you just paid the fine. If you feel that strongly about it, go for it. Good luck!

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, August 2, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy