Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

Is there a legal age limit to buy smoking paper?
Just curious
-I do not smoke!!...

What do I need to do to register as a drug offender?
I am a new time, non-violent, drug offender (it was on someone who was a passenger in my car), what happens now? I'm on probation, but what happens when I have to register as a drug offender?...

What's the difference between barrister and solliciter? thanks?

Can I Report A Missing....?
Letter Without Having Proof It Was Sent?
Well My Great Nan Sent Me A Letter With Money In It And She Sent It Almost Two Weeks Ago And It Still Hasnt Arrived. It Was A Small Letter So She Wouldnt ...

Is it true that most retired cops are alcoholic wining scruffy suicidal cacky pushers or are the movies to?
blame for mine and my friends hilarious stereotypical opinion of them....

Do you think uk police are weak or strong?
how do u think the uk police handled things today on the g20 protests..weak or strong??...it seemed that the criminals smashed the banks windows and stolen loads of equipment and got away with it the ...

There are cars parked in front of my house in the street just to take up space where can i call?
help!...

Do you believe in capital punishment??
for stupid questions or answers??...

Pleading not guilty for a speeding ticket?
I received a ticket from a police officer a couple days ago. Is it a good idea to plead not guilty if this is my first ticket?

I am an Eagle Scout, usually don't speed, and was caught ...

Has anyone been to jail?
Has anyone been to jail (Im a 20 year old girl)? I was wondering what its REALLY like just in case my PO sends me for the 45 days......

If I contest my MIP (minor in possession of alcohol), do you think I'll win?
Okay, so I feel I wrongly got issued an MIP. I had already left a party and was about to get into my car when three officers drove up to my friend and I and asked us our ages. We are both twenty, ...

Rules About Stop and Search by Police?
Can they just do this to anybody on the street or are there rules about it?

Last night I was just outside the pub with a few mates having a smoke and got pulled out by a police to be ...

Can the police tarce an unavailable telephone number?
someone is harrassing my friend and before we make an effort to go to the police we want to make sure it is worth it because this idiot is calling from a private or unavailable number... thanks......

Expected sentence for possession of cocaine with 6 prior assault charges for a juvenile in kern county, ca?
what might the expected sentence be for possession of cocaine with 6 prior assault charges for a juvenile in kern county, ca (16 yr old female)...

If a residential alarm sounds and police make entry, can they seize and ticket for found marajuana inside?
My backdoor was found open by police when responding to a residential alarm. In a closet they found and seized 1/8 of Marajuana ($70 street value) + a small pipe (3 inches long)... are they allowed ...

Do regular police in the U.K. carry weapons?
I know anti-terrorists carry weapons but does a regular constable on patrol carry a firearm?

I am a 20+ year policeman in the U.S....

Will my traffic ticket be dismissed?
I got a ticket for parking in a handicap parking spot. Here's the situation. It was darked outside at that particular time. There was no handicap sign posted. And the sign on the ground was ...

Is it legal to shoot someone if they are breaking into your car?
It is considered self defense in most states if you shoot someone that is attacking you, but what I want to know is if someone is in the process of damaging your car (at an apartment complex or etc), ...

If I don't feel the police is there to protect me and I'm in fear of them, why should I support them?
For many years now, I've felt no protection afforded by the police and although I'm law abiding (short for not being caught i feel) I'm still aprehensive when they're around me.<...

Shall i or not?
I am on bail with certain conditions set on it.

Things are that bad, that i am seriously thinking of whether or not to get myself arrested and put in jail.

I am not safe from ...

Jake
Can a police officer arrest a soldier from the military base?
Can a police officer or FBI arrest a soldier from the military base, or they can't because of the jurisdiction?

Show all answers
Post your answer

El Scott
Rating
Your question is not very specific.

Any active duty military personnel can get arrested by any officer with subject matter and territorial jurisdiction. That means that if a soldier from Ft. Bragg goes into town and gets drunk and drives then he can be arrested by the city police for DWI.

If the same soldier is drunk and driving on post then the MPs can arrest him for DWI.

If this soldier has a warrant for his arrest then the agency with the warrant can call his First Sergeant and tell him/her and the military will make their soldier turn himself in to the civilian authorities.

The same soldier is also subject to UCMJ (The Uniform Code of Military Justice) for any laws they break off post. That means that if this soldier gets arrested in town for DWI then the Army can also bring him up on charges under UCMJ.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

bobby v
Yea an MP would make the arrest and depending on the case it may be tried in a court designed for military.

Tony S
Yes, but the soldier would have to be taken into custody by military police first and then turned over to civilian law enforcement.

bud68
Rating
Yes they can.

Susan B
If he is breaking the law, of course.

fcmiserable_dude
Rating
Yes they can. Police have the right to arrest anyone if there suspicious as long as the military person has a signature from some kind of higher authority in there unit than they cant! But if they dont they can be arrested!

R&gt;V&lt;N =^,,^=
Yes , every service-person is subject to the strictures of the law whether it is on or off base .
:0)

gomanyes562
Rating
There are special "military police" with jurisdiction over the bases.

killert_dawg
Rating
FBI = Yes
Police other then MP = NO
MP= Yes

Alex
Rating
"The" military base would signify that only one base exists. Every branch has their own law enforcement division and they police their own service members. As other answers have stated, any crime committed on board a military installation will be handled by the military. Any crimes committed off base will be dealt with civilian authorities. I figure you're probably a kid, so there isn't a lot of point getting into detail about jurisdiction and the difference between military and civilian criminal justice.

joseph b
Rating
If the base falls under concurrent jurisdiction then yes, if the base is under exclusive jurisdiction, then no they can not, however, The FBI will have jurisdiction in both cases, also the soldier may be arrested, the second he leaves the base and the CO can decide to cooperate and turn him over.

Ron N
Rating
If the offense was committed off of the Miltiary reservation
yes they can.,

Magic Matt
If the base is “exclusive” federal jurisdiction, then a federal law enforcement officer (FBI, US Marshal, DEA, NCIS, OSI, Army CID, DOD Police) has to make the arrest. If they base has “concurrent” jurisdiction, then local or state officers may make an arrest as well, (Key West Navy Base has concurrent jurisdiction, as do quite a few navy bases).

tx_ndh
Rating
A military base is a federal reservation. Arrest have to be made by federal officers only. Other officers can be present of course but the actual arrest must be made by the federal agent with jurisdiction. Military Police are Department of the Army (federal officer). FBI is federal as well. If Civilian Police have a warrant for someone on the military base they can either arrest them off the base or have the federal agents arrest him on the base and transport him off base to the civilian jail. If the crime is comitted on the military base it is a federal offense and there are federal magistrates on the base and they have their own jails.

laughter_every_day
Rating
"from" the base? Sure. On the base, the local cop has no authority but the FBI sure does. If the local cop wanted to arrest a soldier who was on the base, for a crime committed in town, he cannot just drive in an get him, but it takes about 2 seconds to get the cooperation of the MPs. If the soldier committed a crime on the base but was in town, the crime on the base is of no concern to the local cop as it is not a violation of state or local law. If the soldier committed the crime in town, and was found in town, he can be arrested and committed to the local jail. That will also make him AWOL from the base. So, once the locals get done, the military gets him on the AWOL.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, December 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy