Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

How did police officers communicate before radios?
Say one of them needs back up etc....

Did you know that the police have the power to secretly activate the microphone and video on your mobile?
The police can upload 'snoopware' like flexispy onto your phone to watch and listen to whats going on around the phone. Can there ever be any good reason why they would need the power to do ...

Would you consider this a 'bad cop'?
If a policeman (off duty) were to have sex in/on his police cruiser, would you consider him to be a 'bad cop' or is this a common practice of LEO's ?

What is your opinion? ...

Do you regard someone who was raped as "Damaged Goods"?

What do the police have to say when they arrest somone?
Accurate, up to date answers please.

If you don't know what is said in real life (cos you haven't been arrested recently) but know what they say on The Bill, this will do instead....

Do police officers often think that reports of rape are false?
somehow, I do think that there is no enough training....

Why Are There Female Police Officers ?
This in a way is a sexist argument , im not saying i disagree with having female officers , but if a female was come up against a thug , i mean a real nasty guy , who would handle the situation ...

Losing faith in British police?
I think anyone who has had any dealings with the police in the last few years realizes what a waste of time they are. Do you agree??...

My son slapped me when he was drunk, first time ever, he doesnt remember doing it.?
I phoned the police and they arrested him on common assault, without any physical evidence just my say so, uk by the way, he couldnt get bail because he lives with me, stayed at mine anyway because I ...

Why is it that alchhol is legal and weed and canibis is illegal.who smashes the town up on weed?

Do you think police officers enjoy what they do for a living?

Do cops in England carry guns on them where ever they go??

I was arrested for a dui 2 weeks ago.But while being arrested,I was not given my rights....?
Is it required for police officers to give the Miranda rights to everyone they arrest?...

Should female police be able to strip search male prisoners?

What do firefighters do when there are no fires?
I can't imagine there are fires that often every day..but maybe I am wrong...But what do they do when they aren't fighting fires. Just chill in the firehouse?...

Can I sue the government: since they refuse to control the borders and put my life and my families at risk?

Additional Details
I hope some enterprising lawyers take this one up as a class action suit....

Should I call the cops?
about a month ago I heard a load of gun shots coming from the neighbors house. I didnt call the cops or anything because He is known for hanging around with the mafia. Ever since then the entire ...

If you went with a prostitute and didnt pay, and she went to the police would you get done for................
RAPE OR SHOPLIFTING...

Can the police arrest me??????
if i was to stand in the street and kick a car (while it was moving), but not causing damage to the car!!!!!. then when the driver get out of the car i become very agressive swearing threatning this ...

What to say to the judge?
I got a speeding ticket on the highway doing 95 in a 65 zone. I told the officer that I was only going about 85. He said no way and wrote me up for 95. Then I explained to him that this truck can ...

xanadu
Can a cop randomly run your liscense plates?
without cause, can a police officer run the tags on your car at anytime?

Show all answers
Post your answer

paul r
Rating
in theory, no. in reality, they will make up a reason like speeding (2 over) or some other bs. so yeah, they could but its bs

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Phill
Rating
yes they can if they think you are doing anything wrong, but next time ask them what them what the ticket is for.
or they might just think your car looks like another stolen one......"this is my friends car" lol

PSO
Legally, no. There must be cause for an officer to make an inquiry of any sort into anything(license plates, person, etc). However, it's not hard to come up with the necessary cause to justify an inquiry. I didn't read all of the above answers, but most of them were good examples of how little cause is required. Every time an officer observes a traffic violation, makes a traffic stop, helps a stranded motorist or witnesses any type of suspicious behavior he or she can run your license plates.

Odie
Just to add to what the law enforcement officers have said, there is a new computer system that is being tested in Canada that has a camera hooked on the pushbar on the front of the police car. The camera sends all the plates it sees to the computer that automatically runs the plates without input from the police officer. When a plate comes back with negative information (warrant stolen car etc...) an attention tone goes off in the police car, and a photo of the car, the plate, and why it is wanted then pops up on the MDT in the police car.

ARCop
Rating
Yes.

Moongrl76
Rating
I guess after reading some of the answers from the cops, I guess THEY CAN randomly run your license plate! I thought the answer was NO way! I can understand if Police Officers have a list of stolen car sheet and they are trying to catch a Thief! That cool but I'm wondering about all those people who are driving around with a suspended license.
Are cops allowed to run random plates for drivers with suspended licenses? That is the Question.
Hey, I'm all for trying to catch a Thief for stealing cars! Keep doing your THING Peace OFFICERS.

charlsyeh
they can run your tags 24 hours a day and seven days a week and also 365 days a years.there are no laws that prohibit this.for the guy who says he runs 100-150 plates a shift that is a outright lie. you can not run that many as it would cause you to not do your job. there is no reason to exaggerate to trying to impress anyone.when i had time i would run some.you may have time for about 20 and that is stretching it.retired deputy sheriff of 25 years

exqli
Yes.

Serpico7
Rating
Yes, certainly. Especially if say a red prius was stolen, and you have one, the officers will be on the lookout for red prius' and run the plates of any they see trying to find the stolen one.

I don't know if you are, but don't live in paranoia of such a minor thing.

Wendy P
Yes they can and they do it very often.

à®?Lil Bitchà®? (a.k.a. á?¦Snazzlefrazzá?¦)
Of course they can, how else would they know if the car was stolen, etc.

Knot.Of.This.Swirled
Of course... that is 'their' plate... not yours.
Anytime you see a cop around you in traffic or at a light... chances are your being ran thru the system...
Like the laws of averages, your plate is like a lottery scratcher...
Ya win some, ya lose some... but if they were not donig this, there could easily be another 500,000+ convicts loose who were caught by an officer actually working while he is waiting at that light...
sure you can tap your fingers and zone out waiting for the light to change, but I'm sure there are plenty of cops who actually meant it when they signed up 'to protect and serve'.

zes2_zdk
Rating
don't see why not.
The plates are not there for decorative purposes.

Rating
Yes they can.

Jim
Absolutely, he has neither detained you, searched your person or vehicle, or arrested you. Either your car fits a description of one on the hot list or you don't look appropriate for the vehicle you're driving, so he runs the plates to see if the vehicle or plate has been reported as stolen. No its not profiling, he's just using the laws of averages. Generally you don't see a young driver in a poor neighborhood driving a 2007 BMW, so that would be prudent for the officer to check. All comes back clean, you both go on your merry way and you wouldn't even know he ran the plate (Unless he's using an analog radio and you have a scanner).

pretty granny
why not?

45 auto
Wants & warrants any time

luciousgreeneyedlady
sure they can. they drive behind cars all the time and run checks without you even knowing. I am sure they have their own cause for doing this. I don't think they just do it for sh _ ts and giggles.

LiLONEZ
yeaa

anonymous
yes, they have a computer in their car

Ethen
Yeah.. Why wouldn't he be able to?

mccoyblues
Yes they can.

MA_Cop
I run about 100-150 plates during my shift randomly. I always run plates when I pull someone over. running plates is legal. You as a citizen can go to the registry and pay small fee and get the same info about someone based off there plate number. Freedom of Information Act.

El Guapo
Rating
Yes they can and I do all the time, I have a stolen car sheet in my car at all times and if a car matches one that is on my sheet, I run the plate. I also run several plates late at night or early mornings to see If I can catch stolen vehicles. I have caught dozens that way and will continue to do so, if you have nothing to worry about, I won't pull you over.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, November 24, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy