Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Law Enforcement & Police
Legal Discussion Forum

My son sold pot twice. he was arrested last night. never been in trouble before for anything.?
what are the chances of him having to do prison time? what is the best way to go about getting a cheap lawyer and getting him out of trouble....

Why are the police called cops?

What would happen if we all said no. no more parking fines speeding fines, council tax hikes etc?
if we all said no. we ain' t paying? they cant lock us all up .well they can try but it would be difficult. they can't hang us. they can't repossess everyone can they? because all ...

I lied about my identity to officers is that bad?
Today on the train the guards checked my ticket and it had expired, so they gave me a fine! So I lied about all my details. Can they catch me and will I get in trouble if I get caught? I am 15 btw

Topless Woman Lured Perverts in Police Sting?
http://abcnews.go.com/Th
She is TOPLESS and resting her foot on his shoulder. Who is the pervert here?...

Why do people think Cops should shoot to Disable?
there are some people out there that think that when a officer is in danger they should aim for the leg or the arm. why do people think cops shouldnt shoot to kill? say a person is high on cocaine ...

What an amazing coincidence that the USA banned fundraising for the IRA after September 11th happened?
So funding terrorists was OK in the US until they experienced it themselves. The word hypocrisy comes to mind. Choose your next leader carefully....

What's a good gun to have in the police force?
and something that a department would ...

Does he really have the right to be as upset as he is? Would you be upset?
I borrowed $1500 from a man for a house payment. He cared a lot about me. I didn't pay him back for 6 months before he decided to just make it a gift. I didn't really accept the gift, I ...

Can a person go to jail for trying to commit suicide?
Obviously assuming the person did not succeed. So if someone finally decided to go ahead and do it, they'd need to make sure it was successful, right? Otherwise they might end up in jail, ...

Is a parent legally responsible for a 16 year old?
my 16 year old daughter is waiting for a trial date for arson ,carrying a bladed weapon and criminal damage .She was 15 when the crimes were commited. She has adhd and autistic spectrum disorder and ...

Whats the best way you got out of a Ticket?

What could I be charged with for crapping in a neighbours window box?

How can i complain about a cop?

Police didn't respond?
My little motorbike was stolen in the middle of the night last Tue/Wed. I have since found out that a neighbour saw it and phoned the police as a crime in progress. He also got a very detailed ...

How old does a person have to be to sell alcohol in a store?
Not serve it like a restaruant, just sell at a checkout stand.
Additional Details
so many people with different answers. Maybe she really was just 17, but I still doubt it....

Is there any way i can report a family who sells drugs out of their home?
a family moved in two doors down from my house a year ago and they have been selling drugs lately. their son knows my husband. Is there any way i can report them or get them out of the neighborhood?...

HoW CAN WE, AS A COMMUNITY, PRODUCE MORE DEAD COPS???????/?
GOD KNOWS, THERE AREN'T ENOUGH OF THEM!!!!!!!!!
Additional Details
HEXADOR: I HATE TO TELL YOU THIS, HONEY, BUT 'STEELING' (LMAO!!) IS AN EVERYDAY OCCURENCE, AND WHY DO YOU...

Poll: Should it be required for students in public school to stand up for and recite the pledge of allegiance?
In public schools teachers are trying to enforce the rule that student have to stand up for the pledge and recite it. This goes against some peoples' beliefs because the pledge says, "Under ...

Crime rate is so high,police are supposed to serve and protect,they more concern about writing tckets?
why should we pay our taxes to them if they are not doing there jobs.the city budget should not be based on how much money they get on the tickets they write....

Pixie
Are emergency vehicles legally allowed to use their sirens to get though red traffic lights?
i live across the road from a police station and around the corner from a fire station and i am constantly hearing AND SEEING cop cars,ambulances and fire engines turning on their lights and sirens,cruising through a red light and then turning them off.....i would love to take their licence plates and car ID numbers and report them to their superiors......

Show all answers
Post your answer

Rishi
Shame on those people who r suppose to follow law but break the law
U might wanna note licence plates but i don't see any good result.

Last year i saw on yahoo a ambulance was used to deliver pizza during
rush hrs with sierens on.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

mpt-matthew
Rating
Well. most of the time when a emergency car is in an emergency, it doesn't have its siren on (though it does have its lights on), they only seem to turn the siren on when people need to be alerted of there presents like at a junction or busy road. once the car has presided through the trickey zone they can turn it off (as far as i know).

about the leagaility thing, someone told me that, the only 2 viechels that are alowed to speed leagaly are... the fire engine, and the royal mail post van. stupid i know. but i think its a law thats never been changed, i think it came from when the queen said that her post had to be on time, and if her palace started to burn down, she wanted the fireengines there quick. but because every one knows that ambulences or polices are allso emergency vichels the laws are disregarded (i think).

if the police cars are speeding through the lights not in an emergency, then they can be prosicuted.

trees75094
Rating
Call your local police non-emergency number and ask them, if you feel this is a problem that needs addressing. Personally, I'd do this anonymously. Tell them you've seen this happen and about how many times and what time of day, etc. You can also speak to the fire chief or police captain, if it's a big problem. Sometimes calls may get cancelled, so that could be one reason. If it's over and over again, I doubt most calls would be cancelled so quickly.
Anytime they go through a red light they take the chance someone else isn't going to yield, and they'll be in an accident. I'd hate to think someone there is taking their responsibility so lightly.
Where I live, they don't do that. Our police and fire dept. are wonderful and have helped my elderly parents multiple times. I hope what you've noticed is just some cancelled calls.

Janeth D
They can only do it while heading to an emergency, there are times when they can not run lights when heading to call but may use the lights to get through a red light.

joan k
Rating
They can do it but only if it's an emergency. If they have an accident then the onus of responsibility lies with them

bailie28
do it because they are just blowing thru a red light..if it were a true emergency the lights and siren would stay on..start writing letters to the editor of your local paper..perhaps eyebrows will be raised by others too...this you can do while remaining annoymous to the public...just write in your letter you dont want your name printed...good luck

gator
emergency vehicles are to use lights and sirens when responding to emergency calls, during non emergencies, they are to follow traffic rules and regulations, if an emergency vehicle becomes involved in an accident, while using lights and sirens, and no record of an emergency is found then the operator is held responsible.

hotchick
Rating
Emergency vehicles are permitted to go through red lights in an emergency were it is safe to do so, and are exempt from normal traffic laws concerning red lights in such a situation.

However, some employees of emergency services ignore and abuse this rule and use the sirens as an easy excuse to get out of traffic queues.

Bardic
Rating
Then do so, if it concerns you. As already said, emergency service vehicles are often sent towards an incident, and cancelled en route. Sirens are only used where necessary (in the UK anyway) and otherwise turned off. We'd also even turn off the blues on some occasions, especially when approaching the scene of a burglary for instance where offenders might still be on the premises. Ambulances often do that too, in order not to unduly disturb and alarm the neighbourhood.

As a further example, when a fire alarm goes off at our hospital it is obligatory that three appliances attend whether actually needed or not. If the first on scene calls the others off, they will still attend, albeit with blues and twos turned off and at normal speed, until the officer in charge actually turns them away at the scene.

If there are a few "bad apples" doing this just to get to their tea-break or whatever, reporting them is the best thing you can do. That behaviour weakens the whole idea of the emergency equipment

Jude
Rating
If you think they are abusing their emergency status then yes you should report them. Obviously if they are on a genuine emergency call then they can 'jump the lights' but if they are abusing their position then it needs to be dealt with.

momof3
as all the others have said, no they are no suppossed to do this. I too have also seen this happen. You can call and talk to the supervisor, you will have to know the time and possible a vehicle number or plate number.

ARTmom
Rating
Thats what they are for-to warn you they are coming thru-which is legal. I think you should move

usmc1050
"NOTHERE" are you a complete communist? how do you know the cop wasn't going to a low profile call, he just needed his emergancy lights and siren to turn around? YOU DONT know, i hope you have to call the police someday.

now to answer the actual question, YES. it is legal for EMERGANCY vehicles to use THE SIRENS. OMG, you are a bunch of communist & socialasts.
do you think before you talk?

Ian UK
Rating
In short, yes. We can do so if there is a need to do so. We can also cross red traffic lights without using the lights and sirens if we want to and can justify doing so.

I for one would not want to jeopardise my driving qualifications and job by doing so if I couldn't justify it. One of the reasons that I sometimes let offences that I witness go as I couldn't justify placing others at risk, for the sake of issuing a ticket for a traffic offence, by 'jumping' red lights in order to catch up with the relevant driver.

nothere
I've seen that too it drives me crazy and here's another one that drives me crazy they'll (mostly cops I've seen do this) use their lights to do an illegal turn, yet if I did that same turn, woo woo "did you know that turn you did back there was illegal? here's your ticket" can I argue "well I saw you do that same exact turn just yesterday"?

DaveH
Rating
i BET YOU WOULDN'T SAY THAT IF YOU WERE IN THE BACK OF THE AMBULANCE !!

ambg4920
Yes.

There are times when you (general you) don't want police/firefighters/EMT's showing up with lights and sirens blaring. There are actually very few calls that are dispatched in which lights and sirens are even allowed. In most cases, they still need to get there quickly so turning lights/sirens on when going through an intersection is acceptable.

That being said, you are always more than welcome to take down the plate numbers/car ID and report them. Just don't be too offended when they don't take you very seriously.

J G
Emergency vehicles can treat red lights as a 'give way', but it's done at their own risk, and of course they can only do so en route to a call.

Copgirl
Wow don't you have anything better to do? What if they were heading to YOUR house, you would want them to go thru the light, right? Geez..............

Uncle Joe
Rating
Yes, if they are running their sirens and responding to an emergency they are allowed to perform many normally illegal acts such as running red lights, going the wrong way round roundabouts, driving down the wrong side of the street, etc. They often turn their sirens off except when they're approaching potential hazards such as junctions so this may be what you're seeing. If they're not responding to an emergency they have to follow normal driving rules.

mark m
Rating
Yes they can do that legally.

Bear
Crossing the intersection as you have said is the proper way to respond to emergency in some towns. In our town the use of lights and sirens are only for intersections and to pull the driver over and are to be turned off as soon as possible as to not disturb the citizens.

It a catch 22 You want all the noise and the others want us quiet and unseen. No one is ever happy sorry.

samakāmitā
yes, if they have been dispatched.

edd_the_fed
Rating
There are times when you are responding to an emergency call and you get cancelled on the way by another unit who has arrived and they don't need any more assistance, so you turn off your emergency equipment.

As for reporting them to their superiors, I'm afraid to say that no one is superior to me and I'm not superior to them, we have supervisors.

As for the moan someone had about the u turns, If i see someone driving towards me who is committing an offence then I need to turn around safely to get after them, and as such I will put my emergency equipment on.
Its safer for everyone and i would only do it if the offence I was going to stop was serious enough.

If you feel that some are doing it to just get through a red light when they are not responding to an incident then please do report it as it makes the rest of look bad

hallza
Rating
I have an uncle who is a fire fighter and have asked a fire fighter this question before.They are not aloud to go through red lights but it is accepted as it is deemed necessary.

However the emergency services only use the sirens when they need to when answering a call.So if they're speeding down an empty road they won't have their sirens going only their lights.

Are you sure they're not just doing it because the lights are there?

wbfd22
I'm not sure about police vehicles, but I can give you some insight into the fire service.

In my town every traffic light has a sensor on it. It senses when the fire trucks are in a hurry (sirens on) and changes so that the trucks have a green light and can continue without stopping. If it malfunctions, the trucks have to come to a stop, and look both ways before proceeding through the red light.

If the sirens are turned off while the truck is on it's way to a scene, it may have been turned away (sent back to it's respective quarters), because the emergency was downgraded, or it is under control.

I do know that ambulances have the same rules and regulations as the fire trucks do with regard to the red lights. They can proceed through after coming to a stop to check for traffic.

You can call your local police station and find out what thier rules are, and if it seems they are breaking the rules, report them to the police supervisor. Every department has a set of SOP's (saftey operating procedures) they must follow. They may be in a rush to get to an emergency, but they cannot under any circumstances put others in danger trying to get there.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, December 22, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy